• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Smear Campaign Against Extraterrestrials

Tyger

Paranormal Adept
THE HOLLYWOOD SMEAR CAMPAIGN IN FULL SWING

LINK: Curbing Close Encounters: The Smear Campaign Against Extraterrestrials | The Mind Unleashed

Text: "Movie after movie contains the notions that extraterrestrials are either needlessly violent, unintelligent, controlling, sexual predators, or monster-like, ghoulish creatures, who are out to destroy or take over the planet earth. Humans are often portrayed not only as the victim to these “intruders” but as heroes as they slay extraterrestrials in a patriotic way.

"Independence Day, the highest grossing film of 1996, is a perfect example of this pattern. Having a similar theme to War of the Worlds, Independence Day takes place mainly in the USA, with everyday, hardworking citizens waking up to the view of an ominous alien mothership arriving and deploying large “destroyer” ships all over major cities. Panic ensues and the city streets are quickly jammed with cars and people trying to flee with all of their belongings in complete chaos. As with many Hollywood films, Independence Day does an excellent job playing on the emotions of the viewer by showing the intimate relationships and family connections being destroyed in one way or another by the aliens who are invading.

"It is impossible to not feel empathy for the US president who loses his wife or for the kids of the alcoholic crop duster who sacrifices his life kamikaze-style to save planet earth, and it’s expected and logical for the viewer to feel a kind of hatred towards the extraterrestrials who are responsible. The movie is filled with commonly known ET terms and phrases meant to be comic relief but are associated with violence (Lines like, “That’s what I call a close encounter” after a star wars-style fighter plane battle or “Welcome to Earth” after violently punching an ET). There are also “inspiring” and patriotic pre-battle speeches to evoke the feelings of unity and perseverance amongst the humans and enjoyment at the seemingly deserved destruction of the ETs.

"It also contains an ironic scene where the people who are positive towards ETs have gathered together on a rooftop to celebrate their coming, only to be destroyed mercilessly by the ETs directly. These are just some of the examples from this film that may seem small or subtle but serve a larger purpose in reinforcing the archetype of extraterrestrial life forms as malevolent, treacherous beings."

Nice post by tyger, nice "save" by pong. I would have otherwise never seen it.

I can't say I agree with the points the OP was making though. I have no idea what may be going through the mind of Hollywood but I always thought that as far as Independence Day it had more to do with the times. We needed a new boogieman. The Soviets were history, the wall was down, Germany was on it's way to being REunified, Greedy International Bankers had yet to reach their nadir and Middle Eastern terrorists while an issue hadn't become the global threat it is today.

We needed a new existential threat and the aliens filled the niche, and if they were Godless communists so much the better. My prediction in the next wave of alien bashing movies they will be Rich, Capitalist, Greedy banker types, or politically connected mafia types, OR brain washed minions following the voice of a self appointed man of the cloth OR led by a insecure , pint sized leader with an oversized Napoleon complex.

The Conspiracy Theory that Hollywood conspires to accomplish a concerted action again aliens does not really seem plausible to me.

Break out the beer, Charlie - I agree with you on this one! :p

'Hollywood' is about money. They will make whatever sells - to hey with agendas. Anyone who has done a 'pitch' for an idea - worthy and brilliant - knows that too well. Or seen their idea - once 'sold' - morph into something unrecognizable from the creative incepting kernel, becoming just one more clone of the same'ol'same'ol formula that sells tickets.

Nice post by tyger, nice "save" by pong. I would have otherwise never seen it.

I can't say I agree with the points the OP was making though. I have no idea what may be going through the mind of Hollywood but I always thought that as far as Independence Day it had more to do with the times. We needed a new boogieman. The Soviets were history, the wall was down, Germany was on it's way to being REunified, Greedy International Bankers had yet to reach their nadir and Middle Eastern terrorists while an issue hadn't become the global threat it is today.

We needed a new existential threat and the aliens filled the niche, and if they were Godless communists so much the better. My prediction in the next wave of alien bashing movies they will be Rich, Capitalist, Greedy banker types, or politically connected mafia types, OR brain washed minions following the voice of a self appointed man of the cloth OR led by a insecure , pint sized leader with an oversized Napoleon complex.

I agree. I was posting the article for some laughs but also as an example of how adept we can be 'seeing' what may not at all be there. Want it hard enough and the evidence can be found to support the want.

Maybe most of the visitors are breaking bad. David Paulides' books speak to that as well as this recent film:

UFO's and NATO: The Human Mutilation Cover Up

Hi, Pong - Thank you for the link - I will watch when the time comes available, but I will say I am pretty 'brutal' in my analysis of such things.

Just in the first 2 minutes there is a problem with the interviewee Mr Clayton's story about the young boy in 1909. But the story sets the viewer up with an expectation - the automatic conclusion before the facts are in - and - so it goes......

Back