• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Skeptic, Michael Shermer.., Not As?

I look forward to Gibbs Williams ... and we shouldn't forget the source:

Sample Chapter for Jung, C.G. and Pauli, W.; Meier, C.A., ed.; Roscoe, D., trans.: Atom and Archetype: The Pauli/Jung Letters, 1932-1958.

I started to ask Burnt about Jungs (golden, flying) scarab that started it all ... then I googled scarab and helicopter and the first production helicopter was powered by a type of rotary engine known as a Scarab ... I'm sure it was yellow.

Coincidence is measured in terms of time time and space (here and now) synchronicity too but a little more forgiving (here, then a little later, there, etc) ... as complex as we've made the environment we've accelerated time and shortened distance - our faculties may be overwhelmed with all the possible connections but I'm not a big fan of the brain (or evolution) fools itself theories ... especially as to meaning - the need for story and meaning is real and I think like any aspect of the environment, we have a responsibility to conserve it.

@Burnt State in addition to our pm discussion, here are a few other life occurances almost identical to what I mentioned privately.

One of my in between jobs I've had over the years was driving a cab...A very short lived occupation thankfully...at any rate one day I picked up an exceptionally lovely and exotic looking women that I thought I recognized, it was Annabella Lwin ex Bow Wow Wow and as it turned out we shared the same birthday (not date) don't remember how it came out I think she mentioned it in the context of a Astrological sun sign thing for the record she is of (partially) Burmese heritage.

About a month after that I got into my first...and so far only...fender bender with another motorist. His name was Alan (my middle name) he had the same birthday (not date) and while he was from South Africa, he also had some Burmese heritage, years later after I went back to my current occupation (manager of a mailbox store) out of the blue, Alan came in and opened a mailbox with me,

I have had two girlfriends that were also clients of mine...treacherous waters to be sure... One who is half Thai was born the day before me but a few years younger we drifted apart. My current girl friend is also half Thai , her sister was born on the same day of my previous girlfriend, the day before me.

While, I don't necessarily consider any of these instances synchronicites, as i alluded to in our pm I get hit with so many coincidences (at the very least) that you have to concede (well, I do at any rate) something is trying to communicate something with you. I just feel that somewhere in these sea of coincidences I am drifting in there are occasional waves of synchronicity.

Given all that here is something else to consider the same coincidences or chances or whatever we wish to label it, but in mathematical terms
The Birthday Paradox • Damn Interesting

Ok ... now convince me:

1. It's a poem ...
2. A good one

I'm not a poetry guy so maybe you can ... so I appeal to any poetry people reading this? I don't see any structure and it doesn't seem to even make sense (of course look at what you had to work with!)

If you write a sonnet that would be impressive to me.

If your point was there are no standards anymore - it seems like you'd clarify that instead of taking the challenge?
Of course it's a brilliant poem using a trusted technique from the post-surrealists and even Borges would indulge in such word games with his own writing, copying it out backwards and looking for new turns of phrase. I would call this a post-modern work about the confines of language. It's self-reflexivity and use of restructured Hollywood, film noir references bask inside of a simmering shell of fatalism makes this literary bouquet more than just palatable.

From the opening lines the reader encounters the consciousness of language where it is scripting events when it should be the writer's responsibility. The fanatical believers of language, who happily follow the script, are more than willing to carry out any deed.

The devil, well known for his silver tongue, is the spirit of conscious language in total control, but seemingly invisible, hence the cliched allusion to the previous verse's murder,"the devil made me do it." In this world of language though there are only bad copies, bad representations, sad coincidences everywhere, but us humans can't even make each other laugh.

The next verse explores how oppressive language can be especially those who are being denoted and possessed, and who are interchangeable like wife, or spouse. A capital scheme for the male despite the lack of logic - 'why not be equal?' the poem's subtext asks.

But such are the limits of language, who in other claims of actual real proof as seen in the documentary film (just another copy of reality as the film copies the book who also copies - language is self-referential no?) which is about that active cult of worship - language as god controller. Then, Iike any good postmodern poem, it switches gears in its last little burst of an image. "You," the reader makes an outrageous but familiar end of the world linguistic claim from one of those end of the world cults. The writer asks instead for good poetry, but even this result is foretold by language - third place, what New Jersey always comes in.

And in this way it is all about our desire for fresh new freedoms in language, though as a construct made by the devil we can only damn each other, and New Jersey. Though our desires are to escape the script that was written for us still we are trapped in our own, permanent big sleep.

"Watch out, mama said word gonna knock you out." I think that's a wrap, literally.

Last edited:
"But if that truck said O'Brien's Cow Butchery & Towing Service on it then yes, I would be singing a much different tune."

"It would not surprise me in the least if the publishing house of the story your partner read was Yellow Helicopter Press."

You seem to have a personal standard of synchronicity ... but it's not clear what that standard is, what the rules are?

You argue that the finitude of language makes synchronicity commonplace but both examples involve words (written and spoken) and your example says words alone would take the first synchronicity to the significant level ... whereas in the second you wouldn't be surprised ... so what makes the difference for you?
I would like to, on one hand, support the concept of synchronicity, as there have been some 'dosies' throughout time, some real unexplicable strings of coincidences that certainly lend themselves to thinking that life may in fact be well scripted, something out of our control. But then I think about just how many times do we have experiences and remark on how disconnected our lives are, the incredible lack of coincidences, aside from routines, inside of our lives? You never really hear someone say, "let me tell you about this incredible disconnected series of events I just had."

So if synchronicity is a moment imbued with incredible acausal connection for an individual, then maybe life is just stacked with such strange coincidences and it's our emotional response that makes them special and memorable, even personally poignant. Like Shermer's wedding story, we have to know that many millions of other people's special mementos from dead relatives, the old watches, cars and radios etc. never magically turned on in time for the wedding. His did, and every day someone, against impossible odds, will win the lottery. Maybe life is just like that? And perhaps language, and numbers (i.e. the birthday paradox), in their many limits and permutations allow quite naturally for all manner of weirdness to take place, especially for those who take time to notice.

Perhaps we seek out meaning by trying to assemble the coincidences of our lives as if they might be a kind of road map or direction - after all, we get no other real guide of where to go once the breast is taken away.

Last edited:
I would like to, on one hand, support the concept of synchronicity, as there have been some 'dosies' throughout time, some real unexplicable strings of coincidences that certainly lend themselves to thinking that life may in fact be well scripted, something out of our control. But then I think about just how many times do we have experiences and remark on how disconnected our lives are, the incredible lack of coincidences, aside from routines, inside of our lives? You never really hear someone say, "let me tell you about this incredible disconnected series if events I just had."

So if synchronicity is a moment imbued with incredible acausal connection for an individual, then maybe life is just stacked with such strange coincidences and it's our emotional response that makes them special and memorable, even personally poignant. Like Shermer's wedding story, we have to know that many millions of other people's special mementos from dead relatives, the old watches, cars and radios etc. never magically turned on in time for the wedding. His did, and every day someone, against impossible odds, will win the lottery. Maybe life is just like that? And perhaps language, and numbers (i.e. the birthday paradox), in their many limits and permutations allow quite naturally for all manner of weirdness to take place, especially for those who take time to notice.

Perhaps we seek out meaning by trying to assemble the coincidences of our lives as if they might be a kind of road map or direction - after all, we get no other real guide of where to go once the breast is taken away.

You left yourself wide open there brother ... I just didn't have the heart. Guess I'm getting old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this an issue about sides, statistics or personally significant memories?

About being wide open? None of the above ... it's just one of those things where you left yourself open to a funny comeback, not relevant to the subject matter and I resisted taking the easy shot.

I used to work in a warehouse type setting with a bunch of guys and our motto was "check your feelings at the door" we all had nicknames that played on some stereotype, personality flaw or just plain rudeness and gave each other as much h3ll as often as we could - practical jokes, etc. It rarely came to violence though ... although there was the beer and steroids don't mix! incident.

These are a few opinions pertaining to Shermer’s article from around the web. FYI, formerly known as the “JREF” forum, this skeptic’s forum is now known as the “International Skeptic’s Forum”.., sounds rather bloated.

Is Michael Shermer becoming a believer?? - International Skeptics Forum

Has Skeptic Michael Shermer Seen the Light? | The Daily Grail

Bernardo Kastrup's Metaphysical Speculations: To understand the anomalous we need MORE skepticism, not less

http://michaelprescott.typepad.com/michael_prescotts_blog/2014/09/and-the-band-played-on.htm

In thinking about the transfer of information, Diane Powell’s research with autistic savants comes into mind. If correct, where might such unobtainable information emerge from?

New Research Suggests Autistic Savants May Have Enhanced Telepathic Abilities | The Daily Grail

S.R.L., I appreciate your posting those links, especially the final one concerning telepathy (and one case of suggested precognition) on the part of autistic savants. It makes sense that autistic savants might develop telepathy as a result of their autism, out of a fundamental need for communicative connections largely unavailable to them in ordinary ways. It also makes sense in terms of their capacities to vastly expand their mental or artistic abilities to extreme degrees in a specific direction (mathematics, music, visual art), which appears to be an expression of the seeking behavior that Jaak Panksepp has discovered to be fundamental even in protoconscious biological life forms extending far back in evolution. I wonder if there would be interest here in a thread devoted to autistic savants?

S.R.L., I appreciate your posting those links, especially the final one concerning telepathy (and one case of suggested precognition) on the part of autistic savants. It makes sense that autistic savants might develop telepathy as a result of their autism, out of a fundamental need for communicative connections largely unavailable to them in ordinary ways. It also makes sense in terms of their capacities to vastly expand their mental or artistic abilities to extreme degrees in a specific direction (mathematics, music, visual art), which appears to be an expression of the seeking behavior that Jaak Panksepp has discovered to be fundamental even in protoconscious biological life forms extending far back in evolution. I wonder if there would be interest here in a thread devoted to autistic savants?

Here is some stunning further information concerning Dr. Diane Hennacy Powell's research on telepathy in nonverbal autistic children. The article was written by Grant Cameron and posted at his Presidential UFOs website. I was not aware that he is pursuing paranormal activity associated with ufos [specifically in abduction research], but it's clear in his article that the telepathic communication reported by abductees (apparently great numbers of them) must be the major reason for his interest in the autistic telepathy research by Powell. There will be much more to come about Powell's research, including some videos, but it is currently under peer review toward publication. Here is Cameron's article followed by the link:

"In a fair and just world, if confirmed, the research experiments just conducted by Dr. Diane Powell would be a contender for a Nobel Prize. The key words are of course “fair and just” world.

Dr. Powell is a practicing psychiatrist; John Hopkins trained neuroscientist, a former faculty member at Harvard Medical School, and a contributor to the Institute of Noetic Sciences. She is also the author of the book The ESP Enigma.

Dr. Powell’s interest in the area of ESP was sparked in part by one encounter with a female patient in a hospital ward who indicated she was receiving psychic information about Dr. Powell that she should hear it. What the woman said in terms of information was 98% accurate. It was a life altering event for Powell.

The scientific investigation work that Powell has just completed in the field of ESP was described accurately as “data that could mute the great Amazing Randy challenge.” This is a $1,000,000 challenge for a one-million-dollar prize “to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evid
Powell.jpg
ence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event.”

What does Powell have that is so good that Randi will have to possibly eat crow and pay out the prize? What is it that is such a major discovery that it might deserve a Nobel Prize?

The research has to do with non-verbal autistic children. In her newsletter Powell described her research.

Another source of evidence might come from mute autistic children, whose caregivers frequently report that their children can read their minds. If true, that suggests telepathy might be an alternative or default means of communication for those with language impairment.

Parents of the autistic savants I evaluated in India all reported telepathic experiences, in addition to other abilities. Then, shortly after my return to the USA, I read an article about an allegedly telepathic, autistic girl named
Nandana. When possible, I hope to investigate her abilities. Her mother described her daughter's process of communication as follows: I taught her how to use the keyboard ... Now, if I ask her to write what I'm thinking, she can do it. Sometimes spelling errors happen and she still does not understand well the concepts of punctuation. If I say "space" (between words) in my mind, she types the word "space" instead of typing the "separation" between terms.

Next month I'll be filming experiments with another ten year-old autistic girl who was referred to me by my colleague Darold Treffert, the psychiatrist famous for his fifty-plus years of work on savants. Her parents were initially strong skeptics, so they were startled when they witnessed her ability to read her therapist's mind. Recognizing the profound significance this may have for our understanding of consciousness, they reached out to aid science, while requesting that their identity be hidden.

The family first thought their daughter was a mathematical savant, because she could provide answers to multiplication and division problems involving numbers over six digits, even though she couldn't do much simpler multiplication. Then her answers switched from an ordinary numerical format to an exponential one... immediately after the therapist began calculating on a device that displayed in exponential notation. This prompted the therapist to ask the girl how she knew the answer. The girl typed, "I see the numerators and denominators in your head." The therapist then tested her with pictures and sentences that were hidden from the girl's view. She was able to type accurate answers, even if the sentences were in a foreign language. These sessions were videotaped by the family and sent to me and Dr. Treffert. They are very intriguing and show 100% accuracy. Are these reports of telepathy real? Stay tuned.

A couple nights ago the results of the filmed scientific testing started to leak out. The results are absolutely staggering hinting that severely autistic children who exhibit ESP abilities may in fact be receiving a pure signal and be 100% accurate on the given targets.

The 100% accuracy has already been seen with autistic prodigious savants. Whatever their talent is they are usually 100% accurate. Therefore if you give then 2 five digit numbers to multiply together they will be accurate on the first try, or if they do calendar calculations they will be able on the first try to tell you the days of the week for any date in the past of future you can give them even though they often can’t multiply 7 x 4 or think there are 10 minutes in an hours and 10 seconds in a minute.

Were the non-verbal autistic children accurate? This is what Dr. Powell stated in an interview on June 12th,

Believe it or not but I have data that could mute the Great Randi challenge. I know that is quite a statement but I do. To meet that challenge you have to have it reviewed scientifically and they want a recommendation from some science journal. They want to see it in print somewhere.

This is fresh. I just did these experiments last month. That’s how fresh this information is… I have digit sequences that are 18 and 19 numbers long and 100% accuracy. The stats on that are incredible. I even had this one sequence where it’s 162 digits Out of 162 digits there was only 7 mistakes, and when told that is the wrong number this autistic child got it right on the second go. The stats on that are just staggering. That’s why I am saying it is well beyond the great Amazing Randi challenge.

162_target.jpg

ÂÂÂÂÂÂ
This is not the actual target but what
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ
a 162 digit target might look like.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ

This evidence was filed and if repeatable will be conclusive evidence that there is a consciousness element that is independent to the brain and which can make a non-local connection with other consciousnesses. It will be the final nail in the coffin of the idea that the brain produces consciousness and that it disappears at death. If confirmed there would be few discoveries in the history of science that would rival its importance.

Mechanism

A simplistic model of what be going on has to do with the right/left brain and their connection to a non-local mind that is part of the holographic universe.

This idea has been proposed by many people such as Dr. Edgar Mitchell, the sixth man to walk on the moon. He pointed out that as soon as science develops a generalized theory of information, non-locality, the Zero-Point Energy field and the Quantum Hologram that we will begin to develop an accurate understanding of consciousness.

“I theorize that there is a spectrum of consciousness available to human beings,” said Mitchell. “At one end is material consciousness. At the other end is what we call 'field' consciousness, where a person is at one with the universe, perceiving the universe.”

The revelation of this new world view of consciousness began in 1935 with the Einstein, Podolsky, and Rosen experiment challenging an idea that had arisen out of the mathematical calculation of the time that there was a non-local quantum-interconnectedness to the universe. The idea was that entangled photons at a distance appeared to be conscious of the other and any action placed on one would be instantly balanced by the other independent of time and space.

Mathematical proof of this non-local interconnectedness was provided by physicist John Steward Bell in 1964 and experimental proof was provided in a number of experiments around the world in the early 1980s. It became a fact that our space time reality is non-local.

At the same time work done on rat brains in the 1950s by biologist Karl Lashley showed that trained rats could still runs a maze with huge sections of the brain removed which indicated that memory was not stored in any particular part of the brain. Lashley declared that there was no memory center in the brain.

In the 1960s Dr. Karl Pribram noticed that when brain-injured patients had large sections of their brain removed, their memories became hazy but they also did not suffer a loss of any specific memories. He also importantly pointed out that the brain was using fourier transform mathematics (conversion of images into wave forms and back again).
About the same time the hologram was discovered in 1964 by Dr. Dennis Gabor and he described the same two factors 1) like the brain that lost no memory when parts were cut out no information was lost when a hologram was cut into pieces. Each piece contained the information of the whole hologram, but like the human memories the image would become hazier as the pieces got smaller. 2) The hologram image like the human brain used fourier transform mathematics indicated a key common characteristic between the two systems.
In 1977 Pribram proposed that memories are not localized in any specific brain cells, but rather, memory seemed to be distribution throughout the whole brain just like the hologram. He described a holonomic model for the brain.

Next in 1992 Dr. Walter Schempp, a mathematician at the University of Siegen in Germany discovered the quantum hologram while studying functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI). The quantum hologram stated “that the event history of all macro scale matter is continuously broadcast non-locally and is received by and interacts with other matter in its environment through a process of exchange of quantum information. This is an extension of the known process of quantum emission/absorption.”
[1]
The discovery placed the storage of all information in the zero point energy field. According to Dr. Edgar Mitchell,

It elevates information in physics to the same level of importance as energy itself – information if we define it broadly as patterns of energy, so the particular mathematical formulism that goes with the quantum holography is a group study. It also tells us that this information or energy is non-local which means that it is carried in the zero point energy field.

We can then start to say – we have heard the mystical tradition for example of the akashic record. Well this seems to be the mechanism of that which allows the akashic record to take place. It is nature memory system. I have written a paper called the Quantum Hologram – Nature’s Mind to suggest this ubiquitous application. It is a mechanism to carry the history of everything and it carries it out throughout nature, and the point is that it is recoverable through resonance. Resonance is exactly how we get information.”

The mind therefore is a hologram enfolded in a holographic universe, or as Dr. Mitchell’s Quantrek group describes it, “the totality of our physical and subjective experience can be thought of as a multimedia hologram resonant with ourselves and the zero-point field.”

Like a piece cut from a hologram our minds contain all the information in the universal hologram. The quality of that information, however, is dependent on much noise and interference there is from the left of the brain.

In the normal brain the left side is the dominant part of the brain responsible for language, hearing processing most of the duties of speaking. It's also in charge of carrying out logic and exact mathematical computations. It is the brain of the physical world that acts as a reducer and regulator producing only the consciousness necessary to survive in the physical world and blocking out the rest.

The right side is the creative side that handles spatial abilities, visual imagery, face recognition and music processing. Most artists and musicians have dominant right brains. Dr. Roger Lear, who became famous for performing alien implant removals, lived and worked in Hollywood. He maintained that the only common characteristics of people claiming the abduction experience is that they were all right brained.
The other analogy that can be used is the signal to noise ratio. The left brain is noise and the right brain is signal.

This can be seen when people are trying to meditate. People will complain that they cannot do it. Every time they try and find that quite place thoughts keep coming into their minds which they cannot stop. Those thoughts are the left rational brain creating noise in the experience which prevent a right brain inspirational experience.

In the same way abductees report that their experiences appear to have made them more psychic. This may be explainable by the fact they have interacted with aliens who are strongly telepathic (the key difference between aliens and humans is that aliens are telepathic).
Abductees report that when the alien talks to them telepathically the signal is clear with no noise. They know exactly what the alien is saying. Therefore, the aliens may be teaching the abductee, or altering their brain to receive the signal with the right side and block the noise from the left hemisphere.

Autistic people have damage in the left brain. Because of this the normally dominant left brain cannot produce the noise into the signal as it usually does. The more severe the damage the less noise there is. Consequently, the less noise there is the better the signal is.

That may be why Powell’s non-verbal autistic subjects have almost pure telepathy. The left brain is severely damaged as evidenced by the inability to speak, and there is nothing preventing the mind connection to the information stored in the zero point field.

This idea of brain damage creating a clear signal is also supported by some of the greatest psychics of the last century who reported corresponding brain injuries. Peter Hurkos, considered by some as the greatest psychic ever received his psychic abilities after falling off a ladder in 1941 and sustaining a head injury. Edgar Cayce, considered the best psychic in America, received his amazing abilities after being hit in the head with a baseball( and he made the claim that the psychic material he was providing was coming from the akashic field). Joe McMoneagle, the top remote viewer for the CIA work being done at the Stanford Research Institute suffered from brain seizures while in the army.

The results being reported by Powell of perfect telepathic hits on 18 and 19 digits numbers or the complete hit on a 162 digit number would indicate that a condition exists where the brain is receiving all signal and no noise. The left brain has gone on a permanent coffee break.

In one interview Powell described that the one child was being taught to develop some verbal communication, and she wondered if this would affect the ability to do psi down the road. This is a valid consideration because activating and training the damaged left brain should in theory create noise in the signal. Therefore if the child was successfully brought back to full normal capability, theoretically the psi ability should disappear.

The non-verbal autistic savants are therefore the perfect candidates to demonstrate this telepathic ability that we all theoretically have but cannot demonstrate because of noise and interference from the left hemisphere dominance. The savants are also the perfect candidates because they are compulsive and very good at what they do. They will not be rattled in an experimental setting because they live in their own world of performance and have the rest of the world on mute. Because of this they do not suffer from stage fright.

Conclusion

It is evident that we are getting close to confirming the idea that the physical universe is only a small part of overall reality. Material reductionist scientists will fight the idea to the bitter end but it appears that it may already be all over except for the crying.

The evidence is gathering quickly that we all have telepathic abilities but because of the wiring of our brains we are unable to pick up the signal. This idea is supported by the fact that experiencer’s report pure telepathy during their alien encounters but not in daily life.

The accumulating evidence in quantum physics, along with work like that being done with autistics by Powell, points to the idea that the brain is simply a computer interface between the quantum hologram and the physical world which we perceive with our senses.

The research done in past years with savants has helped to develop the idea of left brain/noise and right brain/signal. This new understanding of the brain has even allowed some scientists to perform supporting experiments in the laboratory.

Dr. Allan Snyder at the University of Sydney’s Center of Mind has done successful experiments which work off the idea that the damaged savant brain may actually be provide signal and important new ideas about reality. He refers to the fact that “less is sometimes more” when it comes to the compromised left hemisphere of the savant.

What Snyder did in his lab was inhibit the high level functioning left hemisphere. He did this by sending a series of electromagnetic pulses (transcranial magnetic stimulation) into the left frontal lobe. In 40% of test subjects this produced a strange savant like intelligence in drawing, proofreading, and mathematics. The savant like abilities were being caused by shutting part of the brain down just like brain damage does in the savants.[2] “We all have that information,” Snyder said, “but our brains are deliberately wired not to see it.”
[3]
The days are coming when the general realization will come “wow, I guess consciousness is not all in the brain.” At that point the really exciting job of understanding the true nature of reality and the consciousness that underlies it will begin.

Postscript: Dr. Diane Powell will be presenting the results of her telepathic research with non-verbal savants at the 57th Annual Convention of the Parapsychological Association in Concord, California, Topic: “Evidence for Telepathic Communication in a Nonverbal Autistic Child.” Presentation will include tables of data, statistical analysis, and a brief video of a ten year old child with severe autism who appears to demonstrate this ability to a remarkable degree.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ

[1The Quantum Hologram

[2] Lawrence Osborne, “Savant for a Day,” New York Times, June 22, 2003, Savant for a Day - New York Times

[3] “Unlock Your Inner Rain Man” Unlock Your Inner Rain Man by Electrically Zapping Your Brain | WIRED
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
Last Updated on Tuesday, 17 June 2014 02:03

A Nobel Prize for Woo Woo? | Presidential UFO

There is further commentary on Powell's research with autistic savants who demonstrate telepathic (mind to mind) communication at the paranormalia site.

Paranormalia: Savant Syndrome and Psi

This extract makes two important points:

"Events like this remind us that this is psi's natural habitat, in the home, in relationships and domestic situations, and often where there is some stress or maladjustment, which doesn't therefore lend itself very well to verification.

In a sane world we should be able to treat these things as part of life, without accusations of fraud or the exploitation of children. Which, oddly enough, is exactly what we do with Savant Syndrome, to which Nandana's ability clearly belongs, even though in many respects that's as challenging to science as psi itself."

I too think that Savant Syndrome is "as challenging to science as psi itself" and that much progress might be gained concerning both phenomena by combined research, like Powell's, into their coincidence in autism and also in the study of prodigious autistic savants. Telepathy such as that achieved by Nandana might one day be understood as a 'natural' expression of human capabilities realized in a variety of circumstances. In Nandana's case, as I suggested above, it appears to be the result of Nandana's need for (and reaching out toward) communication at a psychic level beyond that achieved in ordinary children who can function linguistically, understanding and in turn speaking the language used in their homes and other social groups. Autistic children's limitations in ordinary language abilities perpetuate the sense of isolation and even alienation they are subject to [similar to "locked in syndrome"], and it appears from Powell's research that a number of them achieve the ability to connect with a parent or caregiver through the mind.

By contrast, the inexplicable capabilities of savants including autistic savants [most strikingly in mathematics, music, and visual art] seem to me to require a different kind of explanation, for which medical scientists continue to search without success. It seems to me that -- unlike the development of telepathy as a coping device in autistic children by which the child seeks and finds needed interpersonal connection and communication -- the complex knowledge and abilities arising in childhood in autistic savants, and in nonautistic persons brain-damaged or compromised in later life who become 'Sudden Savants', the source or origin of complex knowledge and ability is received from outside the child. The question is how -- and from whom or what?

The more I read about savants of both types the more I think that their gifts of extraordinary capabilities originate in some intercession by agents generally beyond human awareness and understanding. In other words, from the 'other side' of the humanly experienced world (the invisible standing behind the visible). If so this would signify both the existence of capable intentional minds beyond our ken and a great compassion for embodied humans who lack the fundamental capabilities to survive emotionally and meaningfully in the local earth-world into which they have been born damaged and radically isolated.

On the other hand, Sudden Savant events suggest that the disruption of ordinary established processes in parts of the brain provokes almost immediate development of new pathways enabling new means of expression as well as new knowledge, and the same could be the case with autistic children who are classified as savants, those whose brains have somehow been able to move beyond the limitations produced during birth (or through some damage suffered in the womb). I still question the speed with which Sudden Savants develop extraordinary talents and abilities, including paranormal ones. It may be that the agency we are looking for exists within ourselves throughout our embodied lifetimes, a spiritual being or capacity accompanying the physical being in embodied life and capable of interceding at times when the body and its physical brain break down.

Last edited:
More from the above cited article:

"It's easy to think of savant abilities as something that some autistic children are gifted with, as if to recompense them for the inconvenience of being severely retarded. The bits of their brain that deal with the day-to-day stuff are seriously defective, but that somehow frees up other bits, the source of creative genius and memory, which in other people lie dormant. But there are reasons to doubt this. In his recent book Islands of Genius Treffert gives examples of perfectly normal people who acquired savant abilities as a result of a brain injury or disease.

A 54 year old construction worker recovers from a stroke and, having previously shown not the slightest interest in such things, becomes an accomplished poet, artist and sculptor.

Twelve elderly persons with dementia demonstrate an ability for art and music, sometimes prodigiously so, as the disease progresses. No such talent was observed before they became ill.

A 54-year old surgeon recovers from being struck by lightning. He becomes obsessively interested in classical music, in particular with a tune that keeps repeating in his head. He eventually transcribes it as a sonata and becomes a professional musician, while retaining his surgical skills.

A 40-year old motivational speaker recovers from a major concussion to discover that he can play guitar and piano. He now makes his living as a composer of movie sound-tracks.

The literature of the near-death experience contains similar examples, such as Tom Sawyer, the young blue-collar worker who after recovering from a road accident became obsessively interested in quantum mechanics.

This is all quite provocative. The unchallenged materialist assumption has been that savantism will one day be accommodated by physicalist theory, such as the computational and modular 'bottom-up' processes popular with AI and Darwinist proponents. It will be revealed as some kind of malfunction of the mechanisms that underlie normal memory, motor skills, emotions and everything else. I doubt that. My reading is far from comprehensive, but I'm not aware of any serious attempt to include this kind of phenomena in such models, and it's hard to see how that could be done.

This phenomenon of 'acquired' savantism forces us to think about the matter in a different way. We can't just attribute it to autism, that highly mysterious entity which we may assume has some curious property all of its own. This is about the effects of damage to brain tissue, pure and simple. It's as if I was to take a hammer to my six-year-old laptop, and instead of instantly expiring it suddenly blossomed into the latest supercomputer performing a thousand times faster.

The overwhelming implication in this surely is to reinforce the filter or valve theory of consciousness, that the function of the brain is to focus attention in this reality, and when that function is compromised, another reality breaks through. It's the same effect that may be had by ingesting hallucinogens, by fasting, mediation and various religious practices, and of course the near-death experience. As Edward Kelly writes in Irreducible Mind:

What psychedelics have in common with all other means of producing mystical states may consist not in the engagement of any highly specific final common neurophysiological pathways, mechanisms, or modules, but rather in some sort of more global disruption or "loosening" of the normal mind-brain connection, which in turn enables fuller expression of an objectively real transpersonal component of human personality.

Treffert himself is especially intrigued by the 'acquired' version of savant skills, and speculates that such abilities may be available to all of us, if we could only learn how to tap them. I'm not convinced about that. It's one thing for a poet or musician or artist to feel occasionally that they are in touch with some greater reality, but it might diminish the act of creation if they felt all the time that they were just taking dictation.
But Treffert is spot on when he says:

No model of brain function, including memory, will be complete until it can fully incorporate and explain this jarring contradiction of extraordinary ability and sometimes permeating disability in the same person. Until we can fully explain the savant, we cannot fully explain ourselves."

Though a number of artists describe themselves as secretaries taking dictation or that they are operating as remote control scribes for the natural world.

page 81 of this thesis paper outlines my favourite living poet's concept of the glass machinery and remote control mechanisms: http://spectrum.library.concordia.ca/543/1/MQ43524.pdf

You might need to use your reptilian brain to fully access this discussion from his seminal work, Predators of the Adoration. His work is influenced by everything from linguistics and neurology to geology. In class he would often comment on the artistic process as something happening outside of yourself, something beamed to you, or how you became a medium that tapped into another flow of information that you could then coordinate and assemble for other humans to read and experience. I didn't really get this till it happened to me for a brief period, but as he suggested, intense emotional experiences often triggers this remote operation, hence the role of the muse.

Last edited:
Though a number of artists describe themselves as secretaries taking dictation or that they are operating as remote control scribes for the natural world.

page 81 of this thesis paper outlines my favourite living poet's concept of the glass machinery and remote control mechanisms: http://spectrum.library.concordia.ca/543/1/MQ43524.pdf

You might need to use your reptilian brain to fully access this discussion from his seminal work, Predators of the Adoration. His work is influenced by everything from linguistics and neurology to geology. In class he would often comment on the artistic process as something happening outside of yourself, something beamed to you, or how you became a medium that tapped into another flow of information that you could then coordinate and assemble for other humans to read and experience. I didn't really get this till it happened to me for a brief period, but as he suggested, intense emotional experiences often triggers this remote operation, hence the role of the muse.

This would make a good thread starter on writing / creativity

Back