• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

should we have spent billions smashing protons together ?

Free episodes:

Money isn't the issue. 10 billion is a slice of a buck compared to what we're spending on "defense."

To me the only issue is, Should we turn something on that has one one millionth of a chance of creating a black hole that doesn't collapse then swallows the earth?

It was on the news there about a hour ago, That some girl in India had committed suicide because she thought the world was going to end.How many more of those incidents will occur before this is all over. I think they should have just done the experiment in full , fear sometimes can be a disease for certain people.

Sooooo what? She wanted to get there first?

It was on the news there about a hour ago, That some girl in India had committed suicide because she thought the world was going to end.How many more of those incidents will occur before this is all over. I think they should have just done the experiment in full , fear sometimes can be a disease for certain people.

Irish - No dude its being programmed since birth to fear anything we don't understand, and besides why kill yourself when you could wait and get a great show before all of your molecules were obliterated. wweeeeeeeee

Nothing is gonna happen. They thought the same thing was gonna happen when we tested the first Atomic Bomb, and Look how that turned out.

Sometimes ya just gotta roll the dice

Wouldn't it be cool if they created their own big Bang and started their own miniature universe to watch develop. Kind of like a Sim:Universe

How so? The money is spent, CERN is ready to go. What value is there in asking whether or not the money should have been spent after it's spent?

Yeah your right, whats the point of being interested in the opinions of others ? :rolleyes:

The Arms expenditure really puts things into perspective.

I'm glad they built it the only thing is that it will be quite some time before whe get any sufficient data.

It might be a similar scenario to "The HitchHikers Guide to the Universe" 42 ?

i may have misheard the quote but the sentiment is there.
it cost the same as 3 of the latest US warplanes.............

when compared to defense industry spending, its not much at all.

the money isnt really an issue, Knowledge is priceless.

To me the only issue is, Should we turn something on that has one one millionth of a chance of creating a black hole that doesn't collapse then swallows the earth?

Switzerland, we have a problem. Billy, do you think you could help us out??

It might be a similar scenario to "The HitchHikers Guide to the Universe" 42 ?

All the internet jokes I've seen so far regarding CERN are tied to Half-Life. There's even a shot of an inspection being done and one of the guys in the photo looks a little like Gordon Freeman... perhaps we should prepare for unforseen consequences?

It is my understanding, based entirely on the BBC's Big Bang Day Torchwood audio episode, that a micro black hole will not be created, but an alien that convinces people it is their dead loved ones' souls before eating them does come through though. That kind of sucks.

I think we need 10 billion pumped into ufology. This could lead to capturing a little grey booger. Then we shock his nipples and ask him about physics.

"I wonder what the top ten most wasteful spending on projects given hindsight and keeping inflation in mind are of all time?

Here some candidates:

Iraq War
Vietnam
Water World the movie!"...

HA! well said!..thought that movie would never end! lol..

as for the world ending thanks to the experiment mentioned..yea, I almost panicked myself stupid too! :|

and you never know, the ability to make mini black holes /gravity wells might come in handy one day.
im minded of alan dean fosters KK drive from his commonwealth series of books, rather than pushing a ship from behind as we do now, they projected the gravity well in front of the ship, pulling it up to lightspeed like a donkey chasing a carrot on a stick.

if we can turn them on and off or create them with a limited shelf life we could use such devices to intercept comets etc.

handy thing the mini black hole, no galactic tool kit would be complete without one

How do we know that the experiment didn't catapult us into an alternate reality?

and you never know, the ability to make mini black holes /gravity wells might come in handy one day.

The ability to create and control gravity would be the greatest accomplishemt the human race could ever hope for. It would provide an unlimited source of energy for anything we desire. Of course it would also create an enqually infinate potential for destruction, depending on how such power was used. Given our primitive, violent race, what do you think we would do with it? :confused:

Back