• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Serious Implications For Ufology, MUFON and KGRA Radio

Dyer

Paranormal Novice
Erica Lukes | A Skip Tracer's Candid View of the UFO Scene

This interview is incendiary in places and contains serious allegations and implications regarding Ufology, MUFON and KGRA Radio.

In a nutshell Erica Lukes and Lorien Fenton discuss>

>Sexual abuse/stalking allegations
>Sexism in Ufology
>Failure of Jan Harzen MUFON Director to act upon allegations
>Race Hobbs of KGRA is a felon and lied about it when joining MUFON
>Others high up in Ufology and MUFON are also predatory and there is a culture of sexual predators at conferences, within MUFON and at KGRA

What are your thoughts?

I am nothing to do with the show or Erica Lukes. But if there is any truth to this it needs to be taken into the open and discussed. Wouldn't you think?

This interview is incendiary in places and contains serious allegations and implications regarding Ufology, MUFON and KGRA Radio.

>Sexism in Ufology
>Others high up in Ufology and MUFON are also predatory and there is a culture of sexual predators at conferences, within MUFON and at KGRA

What are your thoughts?

Ahh biology, Our enjoyment of the horizontal folk dancing has made us the Apex species on this pretty mudball hasn't it.

All of the bullet points could be equally applied to any social setting, Job, Church, Insert hobby group of choice here.

Given that, I think the focus should be on the behavior. The subset context in which it occurs is less of a factor imo.
That's not to say its irrelevant, All those bullet points are features in the ongoing scandals rocking the catholic church for example. That in itself is complicated by the fact that the alleged perpetrators in this example are supposed to be celibate and persons of high moral discipline.

I guess it goes to show that hard wired urge to procreate is a strong one.

One could postulate that once we perfect Synthetics and build some for sexual recreation as we saw with the Pris character in Blade Runner or the Niska character in Humans, We might ease the pressure so to speak. But i suspect the perfection of Robo Doxys will create issues of its own.

I think you deal with this behavior in Ufology the way you deal with it in any facet of social life.

There are lots of resources online.

How to Deal With Sexism in the Workplace | Career Contessa

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike thanks. As someone who works in the banking profession we have strong guidelines and ethical rules to abide by. I'm wondering how we apply this to something as lose as ufo research?? I guess people need to police it themselves. Gene, I am looking at the forum posts right now. Great forum this looks too.

You're Welcome.
I think you have answered your question, Set personal boundaries just like you would at work and let people know when they start to cross them.
Ive been sexually harassed by both women and men while at work. But if you have the right strategy in place you can usually manage them.
Obviously the degree is important. The new employee who flirts with you can be taken as a compliment and will usually get the message if you don't flirt back.
But i've had more difficult situations like the lady who gave me an expensive bottle of brandy as a "present" out of the blue and then suggested we take it back to her place to drink after work.
In that instance i simply returned the gift and suggested it might break some workplace rule if i accepted. I was able to avoid the invite home aspect entirely and that was the end of that.

At least with a hobby or interest like UFO's etc you can just walk away from the person involved and there wont be any serious impacts on your life. I once had a female boss who was trying to set me up with her daughter, And when i wouldn't take the hints, She found reasons to fault my work and sack me.

The same strategies and precautions the experts recommend in the workplace should work fine at any convention, UFO/Paranormal or otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am nothing to do with the show or Erica Lukes. But if there is any truth to this it needs to be taken into the open and discussed. Wouldn't you think?
I certainly don't have a problem with that. But then again, I don't make the rules around here.

>Sexism in Ufology

What are your thoughts?

this is ridiculous, if it is true then its a matter for the police to investigate and has nothing to do with UFO issue

Well just more evidence that the UFO field is toxic.
Toxicity isn't unique to the paranormal by any means. Toxicity has its tentacles into every walk of life. To complicate matters, each person has their own view as to what is and isn't toxic. By what standards and principles should we use to decide just who is and isn't toxic? We might be tempted to think that when someone does something illegal, that should count as toxic. But sometimes it's the law that's toxic and not the offender. Personally I don't think ufology in and of itself is toxic. It's simply a subject that deals with a particular kind of experience. What's wrong with that? Nothing. Ufology doesn't advocate any kind of bigotry or racism or evil doing. If anything it often seems to be the victim.

Erica Lukes | A Skip Tracer's Candid View of the UFO Scene This interview is incendiary in places and contains serious allegations and implications regarding Ufology, MUFON and KGRA Radio ...
Interesting interview. It exposes a cultural facet of ufology that is worth taking notice of, and I really liked some of the points @Erica Lukes made. However I don't know enough about her to say what she's all about. Her media persona could be very different from what she's really like. She loves to be in the spotlight. There's nothing wrong with that, but we also know how much the media can compromise the subject. So just how much influence she'll let the media have on her credibility is still being tested. The high-profile players were cited as the worst offenders, so if she's playing in that game with them, will she manage to navigate through it and come away clean?

Last edited:
Back