• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Send David on a trip?

what about charging $1 on itunes for a years subscription? well worth the price IMO.
It's not easily done, nor something we want to do. We want to always make the episodes free for anyone to download. While we have no objection to selling stuff, such as the T-shirts and perhaps other merchandise, that's something we don't want to change -- ever!

To finance the business, we'd prefer to sell ads and, if folks want to donate, we appreciate that more than we can say. But it would be nice to have ad sales cover everything. For that, we need an ace salesperson, and I don't know we've found one yet, unfortunately.

I've made some headway selling ads for the tech show, but I have no visible or invisible skills at sales and marketing, so I really need help for such tasks. Lots of help!

I listen to Adam Carolla's podcast every day and he often gripes about how it costs him around $8,000 a month to do it. He's kicked around ideas for making money through podcasts but can't take advantage of them due to contract restrictions.

At $1 a year it's like paying 2 cents an episode, and because of how easy it is to do stuff over itunes, I think the idea would be received with little to no bitching.

I listen to Adam Carolla's podcast every day and he often gripes about how it costs him around $8,000 a month to do it. He's kicked around ideas for making money through podcasts but can't take advantage of them due to contract restrictions.

At $1 a year it's like paying 2 cents an episode, and because of how easy it is to do stuff over itunes, I think the idea would be received with little to no bitching.
$8,000 a month? Ouch! That's a nice living, really. I don't think our expenses in running this show are a tenth of that. Our essential needs to make this a full time gig would be eating, utilities and health insurance. Hell, the latter has become so expensive it can consume most of that expense all by itself. Sigh!

I'm sure, though, that David would love to join a group health plan if we could see our way. :)

$8,000 a month? Ouch! That's a nice living, really. I don't think our expenses in running this show are a tenth of that. Our essential needs to make this a full time gig would be eating, utilities and health insurance. Hell, the latter has become so expensive it can consume most of that expense all by itself. Sigh!

I'm sure, though, that David would love to join a group health plan if we could see our way. :)

Well, Adam has hundreds of thousands of downloads everyday, so he uses a ton of bandwidth.

As far as the health thing, you could always move to Canada, we got enough room.

Well, Adam has hundreds of thousands of downloads everyday, so he uses a ton of bandwidth.

As far as the health thing, you could always move to Canada, we got enough room.
Canada? OK, folks, the neo-cons in the states claim that Canadians suffer from long waits and limited availability for critical care. What's the truth? Not that I'm up to going north real soon, but I'm curious.

Canada? OK, folks, the neo-cons in the states claim that Canadians suffer from long waits and limited availability for critical care. What's the truth? Not that I'm up to going north real soon, but I'm curious.

If it isn't emergency, you're gonna be in line. If it is an emergency or has something to do with your reproductive organs, your taken in right then and there.

You normally have to wait 6 months to have a knee replaced or something like that, but for the majority of procedures my family has gone through the wait periods haven't been brutal.

Besides, it beats paying for it.

Of course a lot of people complain about having to wait for non life threatening surgery, but they'd be the first to complain when they got the bill too.

Neo-cons are in the pocket of big medicine, after all, there is no such thing as health care any more, just disease control.

It's not easily done, nor something we want to do. We want to always make the episodes free for anyone to download. While we have no objection to selling stuff, such as the T-shirts and perhaps other merchandise, that's something we don't want to change -- ever!

To finance the business, we'd prefer to sell ads and, if folks want to donate, we appreciate that more than we can say. But it would be nice to have ad sales cover everything. For that, we need an ace salesperson, and I don't know we've found one yet, unfortunately.

I've made some headway selling ads for the tech show, but I have no visible or invisible skills at sales and marketing, so I really need help for such tasks. Lots of help!

What about Nancy Birnes, or whoever sells ads for UFO Magazine? She might know someone anyway.

I think that this is a great idea to get listeners and forum members to support a Paracast research trip.

I'd gladly donate.

-todd

This whole thread strikes me as peculiar, like a strange Spanky and Our Gang "Hey, kids, let's put on a show!" episode. Frankly I find it a little unseemly and condescending, notwithstanding the obvious good intentions.

well, lets see what can be cooked up for ideas to increase the revenue.

1) Add ball caps (shudder) to the merchandise. not the farmer type, but the cool sports type all the winning teams wear when they go to Disneyland...;)
2) A "best of" photo and witness evidence book - this was previously mentioned, not my original idea.
3) Sound bites for cell phone ringtones - the podcast is still free, but you could have some wicked "ringtones" for $1.50 each. Gene and David could be the voices, natch, or use some popular bits from the podcast, itself.
4) Wallpaper for cell phones @ $1.00 each.
5) PC Desktop Wallpaper @ $1.00 each.
6) Skins for ipods, and laptops - Gene can restrict those to Apple only... there is an outfit that manufactures them, maybe they could be the supplier as I don't know how Gene or Dave would come up with the equipment necessary to do it themselves, if they could afford that, they wouldn't need merchandise!

just a few random thoughts, whether or not they fly doesn't really matter, as long as they spark some more ideas :)

You could start brothel like Bob Lazar, cept have it near Area 51 and targeted towards UFO / sci fi geeks, with chicks painted green with fake third tits and stuff.

Service is good, but for how long ?... The baby boomers are about to hit the system big time and ressources are taxed to the limit. Look at the costs... (figures from 3 years ago)

The health and social services sector is the main budget priority of the Québec government: 43% of the 2006-2007 budget, or $22.1 billion, is allocated to health and social services, an increase of 6.3% compared to 2005-2006.

IMHO, the boomer bomb is going to crash the system and privatization is inevitable. The size and age distribution of our population has allowed this marvel to exist for the last 40 years. Unfortunately, the actuarial equation supporting it won't hold much longer.

Service is good, but for how long ?... The baby boomers are about to hit the system big time and ressources are taxed to the limit. Look at the costs... (figures from 3 years ago)

The health and social services sector is the main budget priority of the Québec government: 43% of the 2006-2007 budget, or $22.1 billion, is allocated to health and social services, an increase of 6.3% compared to 2005-2006.

IMHO, the boomer bomb is going to crash the system and privatization is inevitable. The size and age distribution of our population has allowed this marvel to exist for the last 40 years. Unfortunately, the actuarial equation supporting it won't hold much longer.

I hear your logic there, but as they get older, they die off, and it's not like we have a huge population to begin with. I can't see the population of Canada growing much over the next 20 years.

I think our main problem is a shortage of health care staff.

This whole thread strikes me as peculiar, like a strange Spanky and Our Gang "Hey, kids, let's put on a show!" episode. Frankly I find it a little unseemly and condescending, notwithstanding the obvious good intentions.

Well it obviously wasnt my intention to be condescending lol.
And i dont think the idea of a group of people who care about a subject, then attempt to support someone who has the ability and intellect necessary to gather reliable information
concerning that subject is in anyway "Our Gang" like :) (excuse the poor grammar and run on sentence). But I take your point.

Furthermore, judging by this very small sample of responses, I would surmise that with a little push on the Podcast would indeed generate a positive response.

Now im up to $2.50 lol... ;)

David is frustrated with some of the sniping that goes on in forums, so he decided to bow out -- for now.

He is still doing the show.

I was wondering myself if I missed something there. Thanks Gene for clearing that up. It'd be helpful if DB maybe chucked up a post about it. :eek:

Well it obviously wasnt my intention to be condescending lol.
And i dont think the idea of a group of people who care about a subject, then attempt to support someone who has the ability and intellect necessary to gather reliable information
concerning that subject is in anyway "Our Gang" like :) (excuse the poor grammar and run on sentence). But I take your point.

Furthermore, judging by this very small sample of responses, I would surmise that with a little push on the Podcast would indeed generate a positive response.

Now im up to $2.50 lol... ;)
I understand the good intentions, as I'd said. My point is that David is a grown man, a professional. Fundraisers for good intentions are great...when they can help Darfur refugees or hungry kids. For a research project, I'm not so sure.

There are lots of ways to fund serious research projects, and David has lots of relationships and acquaintances that know how to do that.

Perhaps it's simply my personal pride but having anyone pass the hat for me would feel not just condescending but demeaning. I'm not speaking for David. I'm simply placing myself in his shoes, and it feels quite "unnecessary" to me, as nice as the thought behind it may be.

Look, if people want to contribute and David signs-off have at it!

Back