• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Seeing Ghosts Sucks

Graphimancer

Skilled Investigator
Today, I decided that this is a pain-in-the-ass ability, and probably the most useless psychic ability.

I was visiting a farm in Central Indiana, walking from the car to the pole barn, and a ghost walked out of the pole barn (through a closed sliding door), through a closed gate, and into a chicken house. On the way through, he looked up, caught my eye for a moment, and kept walking. He had the look of not being terribly interested in my presence, as if I was a distraction at best. I asked him who he was, but he was already gone, no longer present. Later, I asked my wife if she saw him (she was in the pole barn), and she said no, but she felt some weird presence in there.

This is all no big deal to me anymore. It only bugs me when ghosts bug me, and that's usually because they are lonely and anyone who can see them is someone to bug.

What does all this prove? Not much. It's just one more reminder that we survive our bodies, we can get lost on the way out of here, and there are probably repercusions in the afterlife to how we lived in this life. I have yet to ever have a ghost tell me something useful, which leads me to believe that those that are stuck here are as clueless as we are, or worse.

Residual haunts are no big deal. They play out again and again like broken records, and you soon learn to ignore them. Sometimes visiting spirits aren't trapped here at all, but are visiting from beyond to check up on things. That pretty much shoots down the reincarnation thing for me, because wouldn't they have been incarnated into some new life since then?

So, as someone who got loads of second sight and lots of empathy, I have to wonder why I didn't get any of the good psychic abilities, like telekinesis, or manifestation. Being surrounded by a parade of spirits has never been a big bonus in my life. It is not cool, or fun, or mysterious.

Why do I write this? I'm not sure. I'm sure several people who read this subforum are in the same boat as I am. If you get it, then maybe you can shed some light on why this ability is somehow good or useful. If you don't get it, then you probably think I'm full of shit and have a leaking imagination. Whatever.

Instead, this is just my life. I'd have rather seen ufos, I guess.

I get it . I don't see them but I feel them(ghosts). It does suck too. Hospitals are probably the most difficult places to be if you are empathic.

The idea of reincarnation still works for me even though I beleive ghosts exist. It is possible that only a part of the soul reincarnates while another part is stuck somehwhere else.

You said that the ghosts have never told you anything worthwhile. I am just curious what type of questions you askthem?

Hi, Ally

Usually I don't get too far past the standard "who are you?" question. Those that have answered have usually not been apparantly interested in playing twenty questions. It seems to me that their attention spans are usually short. This is perhaps because I don't do the confrontational thing. I did that once, inadvertantly, about twenty-four years ago, and it was not a fun experience.

The one that come back from the beyond are usually there to telegraph their presence, perhaps lending support. They seem to show up, perhaps touch you on the shoulder or visually appear, then quickly go away.

I don't do any kind of channelling. The only time I've had that happen was at a Christmas at my mothers, my grandfather came back, cohabitated with for a bit to see everyone, then he returned to beyond. I barely remember it, but it surprised the family, and they got what had happened almost before I did. I'm not into the idea of channelling, but for him I guess I made an exception.

Your guy at the barn sort of reminds me of The Others which starred Nicole Kidman, Scott. The unusual twist at the end was intense as it was interesting, that while we were led to believe Kidman and her kids took up residence in a new home in England after her mental breakdown and her husband went missing in action, she and the kids actually turned out to BE the ghosts. They led somewhat normal lives except for the hauntings they kept experiencing in the house, the actions of the "real" people living there.

So maybe your ghost thought you were just a ghost and had the same ho-hum reaction to you? Cool idea anyway.

Scott Story said:
Hi, Ally

Usually I don't get too far past the standard "who are you?" question. Those that have answered have usually not been apparantly interested in playing twenty questions. It seems to me that their attention spans are usually short. This is perhaps because I don't do the confrontational thing. I did that once, inadvertantly, about twenty-four years ago, and it was not a fun experience.

The one that come back from the beyond are usually there to telegraph their presence, perhaps lending support. They seem to show up, perhaps touch you on the shoulder or visually appear, then quickly go away.

I don't do any kind of channelling. The only time I've had that happen was at a Christmas at my mothers, my grandfather came back, cohabitated with for a bit to see everyone, then he returned to beyond. I barely remember it, but it surprised the family, and they got what had happened almost before I did. I'm not into the idea of channelling, but for him I guess I made an exception.

I am not sure what you are asking or if you are asking a question.

Poi said:
Your guy at the barn sort of reminds me of The Others...They led somewhat normal lives except for the hauntings they kept experiencing in the house, the actions of the "real" people living there.

I always thought that movie portrayed an interesting representation of this phenomenon. Very interesting.

This concept and the whole ghost phenomenon points to some interesting aspects of space/time. Why do we never see ghosts from the future? All ghosts I have heard of (and I have interacted with one) are throwbacks to a previous time.

This is interesting to me because it hints at a linear nature to time. If not a linear nature then a limiting nature to what we can perceive. It supports the idea that we cannot see into the future because if we could then we would see the spirits of the future dead as well. This is an odd way of debunking “seers” but makes sense that you cannot see, predict, or know what does not or has not existed yet.

If ghosts from the future could be perceived how would anyone know?
I don't think every haunting or ghost sighting can be traced to a past person or event. Just a thought.

Ally said:
If ghosts from the future could be perceived how would anyone know?

Wouldn’t they be the same as ghosts from that past except for appearance and interaction? If you think not, why? What would be different about the “souls” of future beings?

Ally said:
I don't think every haunting or ghost sighting can be traced to a past person or event.

Let me clarify: The apparitions or sights of ghost often described are attributed to people from the past in dress and demeanor. Give me an example of a human appearing entity that is not linked to that scenario.

My point was that humanesce ghosts are represented from a retrospective point of detection. We do not see representatives from a time that exists ahead of us…I think this is telling of the dynamics of time.

Hi, All

I don't subscribe to the idea of ghosts being living people across time. Yes, I understand residual hauntings, and have seen them many times, but most self-aware ghosts are dead people from the past; if there was a cross-time thing, then we would be the future ghosts to them.

(I didn't see the Other, although I like Nicole Kidman, so I may order this one on Netflix.)

I have encountered people who I believe lived in another diminsion near our own, or another "brane." I'm led to believe this because they seemed shocked by my appearance, or by my wife's. The house I lived in at the time I believe to be a minor vortice. These encounters were often humorous, in that I was not overly impressed by seeing these people, but they were alarmed in and in one case actually ran around the house.

(Yes, my life has been weird that way.)

I should also mention that many of these entities I see in my minds eye, not with my physical sight. They seemed overlayed over our reality. I have seen actual manifestations on several occassions, but I would say the majority I saw with my mind. I've come to believe that the imagination is not just a daydream factory, but an actual sense, one that can be developed with great acuity to see things in this realm. Energy fields, astral entities of all sorts, including artificial ones such as mindforms or tulpa, they all exist in this medium.

Anymore, when I see an entity/ghost, I feel an electrical type charge in my head; I know it's not electricity, exactly, but it feels like a low grade charge. For years, when I encountered a strong entity, for some reason I wanted to cry--it wasn't an emotional thing, but a physical reaction. It doesn't make sense, but there you go. Nowdays I seem to outgrown that.

I think there is a lot of overlap among all the other realmly experiences.
Ghosts , entities, aliens, mental projections, astral traval, imagination at times.

My question about if you encountered a ghost from the future how would you know involves this confusing overlap of the sences and perceptions. Sometimes the English language, or my use of it doesn't quite do this field justice.

I feel more energies than I see both with my physical eyes or mind's eye. I have been in haunted houses and got some verifcation about what I was feeling. The degree in which I am affected varies quite a bit. Sometimes disabling otr as Scott said Sucks.

However hauntings can feel, at least for me, similar to other psi phenomenen like a psychic attack or a "visitor".

If I feel a presence and I do not see or get a sence of what the presence might be, I would not rule out a future ghost.

I do not always experience time as linear. Now I just opend a entire can of wormholes.

Scott if you live close to a vortex, do you also experiecce other forms of psi phenomenon?

Hi, Ally

You made a lot of good points!

If I have encountered projections from the future, then to my knowledge nothing felt different about it or made think that was the case. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it never even occurred to me.

I still live about three quarters of a mile from the house in question, because I built my new house just down the street from the old one. The old house itself wasn't the vortice--as best we can figure, it's located in an area of fields where there is a drainage ditch. Some odd things have gone on around there.

I think it's important to say that my encounters with the paranormal have happened in a great number of places, not just here. I grew up about an hour from here; the most powerful and active haunting I've ever encountered was about ten minutes away from that, and it was intense. When I visited England, it was like walking through a potpouri of different energy fields, and many places just seemed charged with energy.

Keep in mind, I live in Indiana (Midwest United States, for you that aren't up on US geography), and the area that I live in, in the middle of the state, is not necessarily a hotbed for the paranormal. The state has a major vortice or series of vortices, but they are well south of here, in the Vincinnes, Lucky Point, and Corydon areas. Around this area, things should be more or less normal.

We have a "gravity hill," here, and intermittant ufo reports, but not much that is outstanding in that area. It seems ufos like northern Indiana better, for whatever reason. I have only seen one ufo, and that was at night in 1993, while living in that other house, that I saw three lights dancing around for about forty minutes above the tree line. They moved in a stately, unhurried fashion, and they weren't spotlights or helicopters or stars or any of the normal misidentified things. I didn't believe in ufos, so I called them earthlights for the longest time.

Ally, if you have a real insight into non-linear time, you might know more about the ghost phenomina than I do. I maintain they are spirits of the dead, not projections from other time periods. They seem lonely, and when they encounter someone who can see them they love to hang on, act up, and want interraction, even when they can't speak to you directly very well.

I once stayed overnight in a house where a ghost told me he was a teenage boy. This place exhibited all sorts of strange behavior, from little out of place objects that kept showing up (christass ornaments, often), to lights turning on and off, etc. Once he told me who he was, that was enough for him, and he spent the rest of the night doing anything he could to disturb my sleep--rattling doors, dropping things in other rooms, running up and down a short hall, whatever. The next day we asked the occupants of the house, and we discovered that a teenage boy had committed suicide in the house about a decade before, and they had been having odd occurances in the house since they lived there.

Scott,
Have you ever tried to help any of these lost souls resolve anything?
Some people think that ghosts hang around because they either do not know they are dead or they need to resolve unfinished buisness.

If you could help these ghosts maybe you wouldn't think your ability was useless.

I used to be able to hear them(ghosts)as a child. I can now once and awhile .Most of the time it just feels like my energy is being drained and I ask them to go away. If I am dealing with a "visitor" then asking them to go away is fairly useless. The "visitor" encounter if it is negative has a much higher level of fear connected to it then a ghost encounter in my experience.

After years of being chronically sleep deprived from all the things that go bump in the night, I finally caved in and now I take xanax to help me sleep.

I am not sure if I uderstand nonlinear time more than you do. I have experienced it to some degree many times. I have had missing time that is not UFO related, time stopping and going backwards. Interesting and strange stuff.

Ally, can you explain more about the term "visitor" as you use it. I've certainly encountered beings who were never human, who are either natives of the ether or from somewhere else. I'm not sure this is what you mean, though.

Have I ever tried to help stranded souls resolve their problems so they can move on? No. I'm not against that idea, but that exact situation has never presented itself. The conversations have been too short or one-sided, and some of these people have been nasty-ass angry, and the last thing I wanted to do was confront them with a "do you know you are dead?" kind of talk.

I think a lot of that is television show nonsense.

The long and short of this is that this has not made me a happier person. Sometimes I envy people I think of as "head blind," and sometimes I wonder how people function with one fewer sense. To be honest, the only thing I can think of that has really grown because of all this is my sense of sympathy. I won't go into detail about this, because it's not paranormal.

Sometimes I think about walking away from this paranormal interest. I can't turn off these senses, but I can stop studying and trying to understand it all. I can try to be simple and uncomprehending, as so many people are. I doubt it would work, though. My life has been eclipsed by the paranormal from the beginning.

Sorry if that sound a lot more momentous than it really is. I live a fairly standard life, play well with others, and I have yet to do anything really exceptional.

I used the term "visitor" as I guess someone might use the term alien, Et, or non human interdimesional being. Check out "WTF are we talking about" thread.

As I meantioned earlier I can not always tell what the nature of the psi phenomenon is that is interacting with me.

Once in awhile the being might answer my question as to who are you but most of the time it or they do not. I have woken up with bruisesb,marks and nosebleeds so I guess that follows the typical abduction senario.

Does that answer your question. I am no happy camper either.

Tin foil anyone????

Scott-I guess "suck" can be a good description. Back in the day I described life as a "three ring circus" at times. It's almost ridiculous.

Scott,
What do you remember about being a medium for your grandfather ? I hope that is what you meant. What was communicated?

Was that a positive expereince for you or not?

Jeff,
Do you plan on doing a book tour someday or have you found an alternative? I know that is a probably a premature question.

Ally: I never encountered anything that I seriously considered the possibility was alien until my encounter in Chicago last year. I'm not sure if I encountered ghosts, messenger spirits of some kind, abduction, or what. It's been a real mystery in my life, and part of why I started listening to blog radio (and thus the Paracast, Parnormal Cafe, Dark Matter, etc.) Indeed, while I don't refute it, the idea of an alien (whatever the heck that really is) approaching me on astral (if that is what it was) still sounds odd to me. But, the whole experience was a high strangeness event.

Jeff: Luckily for me and my wife, my experiences have not been as drastic as yours. There are some parallels between what we've encountered, which has at times led me wonder if your encounters were like mine but turned to 11, but then again yours may well be more ufo related that astral. I was struck a little bit by the "flash of light" you relate to the low level electrical jolt I feel when something is appearing. There have been times it has made my life a three-ring circus, but luckily that is the exception and not the rule.

Ally: When my grandfather came through, unanounced, I checked out mentally and don't remember it. He interracted with my family during that time (20, 30 seconds? I don't know), and it was strong enough that it really surprised and delighted them. I'm not going to count this as a negative experience, because I was very close to my grandfather, and he raised me. We were very tight. As far as I'm concerned, I will share with him.

The experience didn't leave me tired, because I was already tired, and it didn't help. If anything, it felt like when you are trying to go to sleep, and you are drowsing, drifting in and out of sleep.

Ally said:
Jeff,
Do you plan on doing a book tour someday or have you found an alternative? I know that is a probably a premature question.

Tour? I don't know about tour, but I'm sure I'll try and get on the Paracast, and maybe Jeremy will have me on when it's done. Hell if someone wants me to come talk about it somewhere, I surely will.

I've ended the daily involvement with the abovetopsecret forum, except for doing photo/video analysis when needed and popping in to update them on some cases that may come up now and then. I think I'll still have my forum there for major stuff. So...that should free up a lot of time to write and finish this up by summer. It's a lot more then I thought I'd write. I also talked to Nancy Birnes about writing something for UFO magazine, so I have to get on that too.

~J

Scott Story said:
Jeff: Luckily for me and my wife, my experiences have not been as drastic as yours. There are some parallels between what we've encountered, which has at times led me wonder if your encounters were like mine but turned to 11, but then again yours may well be more ufo related that astral. I was struck a little bit by the "flash of light" you relate to the low level electrical jolt I feel when something is appearing. There have been times it has made my life a three-ring circus, but luckily that is the exception and not the rule.

Well luckily Scott, you seem to deal with it a lot better then I do.

Back