• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Secret Government

Tyger

Paranormal Adept
This is in-line with how I think it goes. Bureaucracy run amok - "Eyeless in Gaza" is my favorite image. We are pulling the temple down around our own ears. There is no 'secret or semi-secret entity'.

LINK: Vote all you want. The secret government won’t change. - Ideas - The Boston Globe

Review of the book -

LINK: Review of ‘National Security and Double Government’ by Michael J. Glennon - Books - The Boston Globe

TEXT: "It has long been the province of conspiracy theorists to claim that the real power of government is not wielded by the obvious practitioners of statecraft — presidents, members of Congress, the judiciary — but by secret or semi-secret entities, real wizards whose hidden machinations send us to war, sell us out to enemies, siphon public treasure into private hands. Depending on your talk show or paranoia of choice, these are the bankers, oil barons, one-worlders, war profiteers, Bilderbergers, Masons, Catholics, Jews, or Trilateralists. Our formal institutions, in this scenario, are stage sets, Potemkin villages; our officials are puppets; we are an unsuspecting audience.

"Michael Glennon, a respected academic (Tufts’s Fletcher School) and author of a book brought to us by an equally respected publisher (Oxford University Press), is hardly the sort to indulge in such fantasies. And that makes the picture he paints in “National Security and Double Government” all the more arresting. Considering Barack Obama’s harsh pre-election criticisms of his predecessor’s surveillance policies, for example, Glennon notes that many of those same policies — and more of the same kind — were continued after Obama took office. “Why,” he asks, “does national security policy remain constant even when one President is replaced by another, who as a candidate repeatedly, forcefully, and eloquently promised fundamental changes in that policy?”

"The answer Glennon places before us is not reassuring: “a bifurcated system — a structure of double government — in which even the President now exercises little substantive control over the overall direction of US national security policy.” The result, he writes, is a system of dual institutions that have evolved “toward greater centralization, less accountability, and emergent autocracy.”

"If this were a movie, it would soon become clear that some evil force, bent on consolidating power and undermining democratic governance, has surreptitiously tunneled into the under-structure of the nation. Not so. In fact, Glennon observes, this hyper-secret and difficult-to-control network arose in part as an attempt to head off just such an outcome. In the aftermath of World War II, with the Soviet Union a serious threat from abroad and a growing domestic concern about weakened civilian control over the military (in 1949, the Hoover Commission had warned that the Joint Chiefs of Staff had become “virtually a law unto themselves”), President Truman set out to create a separate national security structure.

"By 2011, according to The Washington Post, there were 46 separate federal departments and agencies and 2,000 private companies engaged in classified national security operations with millions of employees and spending of roughly a trillion dollars a year. As Glennon points out, presidents get to name fewer than 250 political appointees among the Defense Department’s nearly 700,000 civilian employees, with hundreds more drawn from a national security bureaucracy that comprise “America’s Trumanite network” — in effect, on matters of national security, a second government.

"Glennon’s book is not a breezy read: It’s thick with fact and not unappreciative of conundrum (“The government is seen increasingly by elements of the public as hiding what they ought to know, criminalizing what they ought to be able to do, and spying upon what ought to be private. The people are seen increasingly by the government as unable to comprehend the gravity of security threats.”). Nor is he glib with proposed solutions: to adequately respond to the threats posed by a below-the-radar second government will require “a general public possessed of civic virtue,” which prompts Glennon to cite retired Supreme Court justice David Souter’s bemoaning of a “pervasive civic ignorance.” Not all of the problem can be laid at Truman’s feet. And if we ourselves are part of the zeitgeist that allows invisible governments to flourish, repair will be difficult. As Glennon puts it, “the term Orwellian will have little meaning to a people who have never known anything different, who have scant knowledge of history, civics, or public affairs, and who in any event have never heard of George Orwell.”

"This is no secret conspiracy nor a plot to deprive Americans of their civil liberties. It is the unintended consequence of a thoughtful attempt to head off the very threats that those attempts have inadvertently created. But if Glennon’s book is enlightening it is also scary. And it’s not fiction."

Last edited:
This is how the Global Warming agenda is, and has been rammed down the worlds throat, just another of many ways Amerika taxes the world.

I once read something to the effect that governments began before the dawn of history, when those with the most ruthlessness and least conscience, succeeded in leading their tribe to victories that yielded the most "booty" in spoils of war. This would explain a great deal.

Classic lyrics by "The Who" : "Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

This is no secret conspiracy nor a plot to deprive Americans of their civil liberties. It is the unintended consequence of a thoughtful attempt to head off ...threats...

IngSoc loves and protects us.

As Outer Party member Glennon assures us, any negative effects of IngSoc's efforts to protect us are regrettable, unintended accidents.

Father Fed Loves and Protects Us.

andy-griffith-and-opie-taylor-750x400.jpg

When presidential candidates are running for first term elections they make a lot of bold statements and promises. They believe that their own actions can improve the country and even the world. They really truly believe that they can improve the economy and amend foreign policy. Once elected the poor sap is brought into a meeting with the real heads of the government. I don’t know their names and neither do you. The conversation always goes the same way. “Mr. President here is your new agenda. Every idea you brought to the table in your election bid is now mute.” They tell him how the government really works. They tell him you will do what we say or you will be DEALT with. I doubt very much that they give him any information on the real motives of the Iraq war or that CIA has created most of the terrorist organizations in the Middle East or that Neil Armstrong saw alien structures on the moon. The President is the fall guy and he does what they tell him to do. It’s not a secret government. They have been doing this right in front of our eyes this since 1789 when the George Washington entered the office.

We get the government we buy.
Americans (and the western world) vote billions of times every day at the cash registers, and once every couple of years, they make a mark on a piece of paper or a touchscreen that is based one of two bipartisan ideologies molded in the shape of an Imperial cash register (go forth and exploit at a tidy profit).
Of course there are conspiracies and secret groups in the government: most of the things our purchases demand are illegal according to the ideological laws of our constitution.
The trick is keeping people ignorant of their own demands by keeping the status quo of "Always Low Prices".
If anyone knew how much wealth and wasted resources we are borrowing from the future and not paying for, the economy would cease to exist as we know it. Almost all of the decisions are made at a cash register in one way or another. By hiding the actual cost in debts and income taxes and deferred tariffs and corporate profits, the 'secret' government (most of which resides on K street) keeps people driving to the mall to buy new clothes to drive to the mall, even as gas prices, which now seem 'normal' at 4 bucks per gallon and 'cheap' at 3 bucks, are supported by massive death machines and destroyed countries around the world.

Yeah a whole $4 dollars, your really being screwed over.
i mean the rest of us get our juice at £7+ [ $12+] a gallon,

Last edited:
Nothing will change until the people wish it to. So nothing will change.

Human nature has to change. That's when things will change. But it does change. I know there is a lot of doomsayers on the internet and it can be hard to see the rosy-hued lining, but things have changed for the better. Slavery is not gone, but it is far less, certainly far less legal in more places. In the US we no longer have lynchings and vigilante justice. Nothing is perfect but there is accountability. Things are improving, even with set-backs. It can be hard to see because of the short view, but we ever onward creep and things do change for the better overall. :)

Human nature has to change. That's when things will change. But it does change. I know there is a lot of doomsayers on the internet and it can be hard to see the rosy-hued lining, but things have changed for the better. Slavery is not gone, but it is far less, certainly far less legal in more places. In the US we no longer have lynchings and vigilante justice. Nothing is perfect but there is accountability. Things are improving, even with set-backs. It can be hard to see because of the short view, but we ever onward creep and things do change for the better overall. :)

Just check this out

Police crash Halloween party to ensure no dancing without a permit | Police State USA

The problem we face is over zealous thugs in uniforms among other problems of course.
To be right out and honest the real trick for many out there is seeing past the shiny exterior to the rotten core of our respective political and corporate systems.

To quote Jim "you are all fucking slaves".. in many ways he was right, but we are only slaves as long as we allow those would be slave masters to have power over us.

...we are only slaves as long as we allow those would be slave masters to have power over us.

People choose to be slaves because they enjoy being slaves.

Tell a slave that it is immoral to aggress against others, and they will attempt amazing acrobatics of sophistry to convince you such behavior is not immoral.

They deserve what they choose.

Just check this out

Police crash Halloween party to ensure no dancing without a permit | Police State USA

The problem we face is over zealous thugs in uniforms among other problems of course.
To be right out and honest the real trick for many out there is seeing past the shiny exterior to the rotten core of our respective political and corporate systems.

To quote Jim "you are all fucking slaves".. in many ways he was right, but we are only slaves as long as we allow those would be slave masters to have power over us.

The problem is a lack of historical perspective. This kind of stuff was going on - and worse - in yonder times. There are 'Blue Laws' in New England (Massachusetts, Connecticut) still on the books that prohibit sex on Sundays and so on. They are not enforced today (of course) but there was a time when that level of control was deemed permissible. Even circuses were outlawed, viewed as degenerate, abetting focus in ways considered 'dangerous' to the well being of the community.

The fact that the above silliness with the dancing ban is considered silly is in itself an improvement. That we can jeer and probably get this nonsense stopped is light years beyond what it once was. In all of this is the seeds of change.

I once had a lapel button that read

"It doesnt matter who you vote for, the Govt always gets in"

Which is i guess the short version

For me, the group Devo stated it best: "Freedom of choice is what you got, freedom from choice is what you want" It's funny what @manxman stated about taxes. Who got that tax ball rolling anyhow? Here's the buzz: It always seems like revolution is where it's at with respect to eliciting real change. Bullshit. You could could sneak up behind everyone one of 'em at once and knock 'em all over the the head simultaneously like the $100.00 lunch dodo birds that they ALL are. Wouldn't make one damn bit of difference. We NEVER see those who make the rules and precisely those that those rules ultimately serve like wound up little monkey butlers.

The vote is the window dressing of democracy as is the united states the window dressing of global oppression. Gary Numan got it right, think about it. Who has sat this stage? (pt.1) What course of action is best? (pt.2)

pt.1

pt.2

The problem is a lack of historical perspective. This kind of stuff was going on - and worse - in yonder times. There are 'Blue Laws' in New England (Massachusetts, Connecticut) still on the books that prohibit sex on Sundays and so on. They are not enforced today (of course) but there was a time when that level of control was deemed permissible. Even circuses were outlawed, viewed as degenerate, abetting focus in ways considered 'dangerous' to the well being of the community.

The fact that the above silliness with the dancing ban is considered silly is in itself an improvement. That we can jeer and probably get this nonsense stopped is light years beyond what it once was. In all of this is the seeds of change.

I like your positive outlook, as you may know I do not live in the USA so my perspective is quite different as you can understand.
What I see going on in my nation is a serious corporate take over facilitated by a government that is blatantly not for the people.

I like your positive outlook, as you may know I do not live in the USA so my perspective is quite different as you can understand.
What I see going on in my nation is a serious corporate take over facilitated by a government that is blatantly not for the people.

Frankly, I don't know of any one government that has ever been for all the people equally, but rather in every single country's case that i can think of, for a select number of the people completely.

I like your positive outlook, as you may know I do not live in the USA so my perspective is quite different as you can understand. What I see going on in my nation is a serious corporate take over facilitated by a government that is blatantly not for the people.

I was thinking about my post this morning on my commute, aware I had not put in my usual caveat about it being a comment keyed to the US. So that's good you saw that. However, I don't think the situation across the board is that different. History is chock full of stories of the wealthy and the oppressed. From Rome onwards in the detailed historical record we can see moments of enlightened government, beneficent rulers, wise and far-seeing. Charlemagne instituted universal education for both aristocrats and the peasant class, but after his death it all went for naught and we would not see such again for 1,000 years.

I am currently deep into (European) Medieval History, looking at the shift from the Early Middle Ages into the High Middle Ages. The Crusades - though technically a 'waste' of men and resources and overall unsuccessful in its goals except for a brief 88 years, had a profound impact on Europe at all levels. In effect, a mini Renaissance was ushered in with the increased population from the new food stuffs and improved agricultural techniques brought back from the Orient. It's really remarkable to read about the impact from the returning Crusaders - a new strain of wheat, new vegetables like spinach, new fruits, as well as the famous spices - with the idea for paper and all manner of 'new' ideas, not the least of which was the awesome realization that one could be 'free' of the Pope, even the Knightly Lord. Here and there remarkable cities rose up almost 'modern' in their sensibilities, except in some ways they were beyond even us. But they were destroyed. Every culture/civilization has its barbarian invasions - be they the Vandals, the Germanic tribes, the Norsemen, the Mongols, the Tartars, the Muslim Arabs, the Christian Crusaders, the Seljek Turks. Then there are the shining examples like the Sultanate of Saladin, who met Saint Francis and honored him. (The Christians had Kings, the Muslims had Caliphs, the Turks had Sultans).

I am going on - I am deep into this right now and my enthusiasm gets the better of me. ;) Must get up and off to vote. :)

Back