• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sceptic (James Randi) changes the rules & and targets four psychics

Sceptic (James Randi) changes the rules – and targets four psychics

interesting that he's calling them out by name, but of course, nothing would ever convince him that any of it's real (not that I believe those guys, but I believe that there are plenty of real people out there). I wonder if anyone will respond! I think I'd enjoy seeing what Randi would do to John Edward.

Raevenskye said:
interesting that he's calling them out by name, but of course, nothing would ever convince him that any of it's real (not that I believe those guys, but I believe that there are plenty of real people out there). I wonder if anyone will respond! I think I'd enjoy seeing what Randi would do to John Edward.

I recently saw John give a cop out response to the question of whether he would take Randi's challenge. He said, "Why would I take a test by someone who's first name is an adjective." I know why..... To get one million dollars. Some "psychics" say, well I'm not in it for money! Fine, give it to charity slime. Plus you would prove to the world psychic phenomena is legit and shut Randi up.

I will say that I haven't seen John busted yet, like Silvia Brown. The worst I've heard so far was that his show is edited to not show his misses. If anyone knows of some damning evidence he's a fraud please post.

George Anderson is highly impressive, however he doesn't get anywhere near the attention the others do. Joe Mcmonegal the remote viewer is impressive too. I probably butchered his name btw. He's also virtually unheard of so I haven't seen his name in writing/typing enough to know it's spelling.

K, looked it up. It's McMoneagle:)

Raevenskye said:

Perhaps the real psychics have foreseen the cheque bouncing...

Rick Deckard said:
Perhaps the real psychics have foreseen the cheque bouncing...

Yes, even I have wondered through reason not psychic powers if there would be any kickers in the million dollar reward. However, it's still worth a try. At least they could then possibly show that Randi is a con, like he claims all of them are.

There is a radio host that claims to be able to get evps at will. He and Randi have been going at it about the million dollar challenge for over a year now. If one believes the radio host, Randi isn't being very competent or fair. I forget the guys name. Sucks. I coulda gave it yesterday or any other day perhaps. Anyway, I'll try and look for it after this reply.

There was one guy who claims to be able to go without food (and water I think, not sure though) for a given amount of time. Randi responded via e-mail that the claim was absurd and impossible so he's not going to waste his time. Now I suppose one could have hoaxed the e-mail to make Randi look bad. The e-mail and headers were shown. If legit, this shows Randi and his challenge is nothing short of a piece of crap.

A.LeClair said:
If legit, this shows Randi and his challenge is nothing short of a piece of crap.

well..it's legit, but only by the criteria Randi decides, at will. Besides that, famous psychics like Sylvia Browne don't need Randi's million....she has plenty of her own.

Raevenskye said:
well..it's legit, but only by the criteria Randi decides, at will. Besides that, famous psychics like Sylvia Browne don't need Randi's million....she has plenty of her own.

Oh, some people can never have enough. The greedy and con artist.

I read Sylvia was bankrupt awhile back. Ufowatchdog.com gives the details. She charges around 700 dollars for a telephone reading, so she's apparently interested in money. She could always give the money to charity even if she didn't need it. That is unless she is a fraud or careless.

A.LeClair said:
Oh, some people can never have enough. The greedy and con artist.

I read Sylvia was bankrupt awhile back. Ufowatchdog.com gives the details. She charges around 700 dollars for a telephone reading, so she's apparently interested in money. She could always give the money to charity even if she didn't need it. That is unless she is a fraud or careless.

you're right there! My friend called one of them a few years ago, and it was $200/30 mins, and a 2 year wait, or something crazy like that. I was amazed at the amount of money they were raking in!

Raevenskye said:
you're right there! My friend called one of them a few years ago, and it was $200/30 mins, and a 2 year wait, or something crazy like that. I was amazed at the amount of money they were raking in!

Wow. 2 year wait? I'm sadden there's that many. At the same time there seems to be a lack of interest in verifying psi phenomena. Odd.

My family owns and runs a cleaning business called "Compulsive Cleaners". Years ago we had an employee that called psychic hotlines from our customer's house! 90 dollars worth or more. I was amazed as to how stupid she was in thinking we or the customer wouldn't find out. She got fired as soon as we found out.

When I was a child and those hotlines first came out (way cheaper) I called an astrology one. It said I would be receiving important mail in 2 weeks. Funny, I won a tv contest and received a bunch of GI-Joe toys in the mail lol. So, I was like, darn, maybe there's something to this! Well I called many times after that and nothing was ever accurate. So, I can wright it off as a coincidence. Some don't believe in coincidence, and at a deeper level, this might be true, but I mean coincidence as in simply happen stance. Hard to explain heh.

A.LeClair said:
When I was a child and those hotlines first came out (way cheaper) I called an astrology one. It said I would be receiving important mail in 2 weeks. Funny, I won a tv contest and received a bunch of GI-Joe toys in the mail lol. So, I was like, darn, maybe there's something to this! Well I called many times after that and nothing was ever accurate. So, I can wright it off as a coincidence. Some don't believe in coincidence, and at a deeper level, this might be true, but I mean coincidence as in simply happen stance. Hard to explain heh.

i applied to work at an astrology hotline once, and after giving my shaky Tarot reading over the phone to a MAJORLY disinterested girl, I got this big packet of info in the mail. I was supposed to install a dedicated phone line and after I logged in, I was to work for at least 6 hours nightly (hardly a part-time job, which is what I wanted). I got all these scripts to read to callers, and I was supposed to keep them on the phone for at least 45 minutes, but no longer than an hour to entice them to call back. I was supposed to be pushing that Miami Vice guy's phone line (at the time). Needless to say, I didn't do any of it!

John Edward, as well as others were part of an 3 year University of Arizona experiment on Psychic phenomena. I saw it on HBO and I gotta tell ya it was pretty wild. Anyone ever see it? The guy In charge pretty much said that they had proven without a doubt that we exist as energy, keeping our own personality when we pass.

That's right! On the same interview that John gave his cop out remark, he did go on to say that he has been tested, and gave the name of it. He made it out to be something elaborate. He then said, if I'm going to be tested why not something more scientific and respected than Randi? That was a paraphrase. I had forgotten the details or would have mentioned it before. Thanks for mentioning that.

Let me guess, was Edward "tested" by Gary Swartz (who also swore by Alison Dubious)? And by "scientific" does he mean people who aren't up on all the tricks of his trade?
I saw on YouTube where he made the "guy with an adjective as a first name" and I just thought, "that's rich coming from a fraud with a first name synonomous with a toilet." No offense to any other Johns out there!

Funny about the John remark. I hadn't thought of that before. I wonder how John would respond to that, since it's using his own logic.

I don't recall if Gary was mentioned or not. A university was I think, as well as what the project/test was called.

Raevenskye said:

Are you kiding me... They do not exist... there is NO SUCH THING AS PHYCHICS!!!!
I'll give a ercent event that they should have stopped...
why didn't anyone stop the VT shootings... or (insert and other horrible act in the world.)

these people are criminals for preying on the weak.

Recon said:
Are you kiding me... They do not exist... there is NO SUCH THING AS PHYCHICS!!!!
I'll give a ercent event that they should have stopped...
why didn't anyone stop the VT shootings... or (insert and other horrible act in the world.)

these people are criminals for preying on the weak.

Correct. No such thing as "PHYCHICS" :) Unless they are maybe female psychic physicists.

lol. I should probably re-read my posts...

Recon said:
They do not exist... there is NO SUCH THING AS PHYCHICS!!!!

You don't *know* that, but you do *believe* it.

If I were a psychic, I would keep it to myself and use it to my advantage...

...probably around the poker table. Perhaps the best players *are* psychics. :)

Here's my brush with psychic phenomena.

I was in the middle of a job interview. All of a sudden I was hit with this wave of relief, and I started to get all choked up. Not because of the interview, it just happened out of the blue.

I had to stop the interview, and went home to find out that my mom had died.

I believe that there is something to it, but I don't think that you can arbitrarily see dead people, talk to the dead, or write books about how you too, can be a highly paid gifted psychic.

There is so much fraud in the paranormal arena it's not even funny. The issue is what do you want to believe in?

I've had plenty of gut feelings, and great predictions on what's going to happen, I've even had some very prophetic dreams, but in all honesty, am I psychic? According to some, yes. According to others, no. Statistical probability gets in the way of what is or is not psychic. The law of averages states that with enough information you can make a very educated and accurate guess.

Psychic phenomena to me, is what you can't explain away with the law of averages. Which means that Sylvia Browne, James Van Praagh, John Edwards, and the various other frauds are doing nothing more than taking educated guesses, nothing more.

Back