• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Savior of the Space Program -- or More Life Support!

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
All right, so after some of the original Apollo astronauts complained bitterly about those serious cutbacks in the space program, Obama has revised the plan.

Here's the update with the specifics:

On to Mars: Obama Declares, 'I Expect to See It' - ABC News

So, yes, I suppose we will get to Mars in the 2030s, probably long after many of us are no longer among the living, or are too old to appreciate it.

So the president says "step by step we will push the boundaries," but they are strictly baby steps. We're still going to use the very fundamental technologies — rockets — that were in vogue in the mid-20th century. Is there no better or faster way to achieve space flight to far-off destinations?

Is there a real-life counterpart of Star Trek's Zefram Cochrane, the eccentric scientist who created warp drive? Maybe there's someone in a test laboratory somewhere who will figure out a better way, or maybe, just maybe, the government and private industry should fund research to take space travel into the 21st century.

But I'm not holding out much hope any of this will come to pass in my lifetime.

All right, so after some of the original Apollo astronauts complained bitterly about those serious cutbacks in the space program, Obama has revised the plan.

Here's the update with the specifics:

On to Mars: Obama Declares, 'I Expect to See It' - ABC News

So, yes, I suppose we will get to Mars in the 2030s, probably long after many of us are no longer among the living, or are too old to appreciate it.

So the president says "step by step we will push the boundaries," but they are strictly baby steps. We're still going to use the very fundamental technologies — rockets — that were in vogue in the mid-20th century. Is there no better or faster way to achieve space flight to far-off destinations?

Is there a real-life counterpart of Star Trek's Zefram Cochrane, the eccentric scientist who created warp drive? Maybe there's someone in a test laboratory somewhere who will figure out a better way, or maybe, just maybe, the government and private industry should fund research to take space travel into the 21st century.

But I'm not holding out much hope any of this will come to pass in my lifetime.

I wouldn't hold my breath for NASA to come up with anything new. It will most likely come from a private industry, from some crazy scientist with ingenious ideas like Zefram Cochrane... or maybe the Chinese.

Well thats at least encouraging. Really depressing seeing the space program go down the toilet.

Google, MS, Apple, and a few other super tech companies should form a space pool and fund the shit outta the space program. Take it semi private and actually make some stuff happen.

I guess it we are sort of on the way to that with private space flights like Virgin Galactic etc.

Whoooaaa, hold on there Gene, I'm not going anywhere... I'm staying till the Aliens give up and start talking :D

I too believe any real material will come from the private 'space' sector and not NASA. I say this because the photos they have been releasing all this time seem to have funny smudge marks on them..... not trustworthy behavior.

Whoooaaa, hold on there Gene, I'm not going anywhere... I'm staying till the Aliens give up and start talking :D

I too believe any real material will come from the private 'space' sector and not NASA. I say this because the photos they have been releasing all this time seem to have funny smudge marks on them..... not trustworthy behavior.

The real question, of course, is why there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in the space program anymore. Other than the different opinions of a few aging ex-astronauts, it seems to be sitting on the back burner for the most part. That explains why not much is being done to find a way to better fund the necessary advanced research. So we will continue to use ancient technology, unfortunately (and not the "Stargate" brand of "ancient" technology alas).

The real question, of course, is why there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in the space program anymore. Other than the different opinions of a few aging ex-astronauts, it seems to be sitting on the back burner for the most part. That explains why not much is being done to find a way to better fund the necessary advanced research. So we will continue to use ancient technology, unfortunately (and not the "Stargate" brand of "ancient" technology alas).

True.. but their approach to the subject changed and along the way they left out their biggest fans... the people. I'm not saying we need to return to the 60's but, how about doing a Moon landing... broadcast the entire trip on TV.. the landing.. everything... you can title it: Moon - The return. Let the people become fans again. And if they find a 'Stargate' this time... even better.. :)

True.. but their approach to the subject changed and along the way they left out their biggest fans... the people. I'm not saying we need to return to the 60's but, how about doing a Moon landing... broadcast the entire trip on TV.. the landing.. everything... you can title it: Moon - The return. Let the people become fans again. And if they find a 'Stargate' this time... even better.. :)

I completely agree with you. Get Hollywood types, sports stars, and musicians to support it and then make it a really well produced occasion. You have to make space "cool" (or whatever word the kids use these days). Pop-culture it up. A reality show to send a civilian. Something.

Savior? He didn't save anything. He just laid out some nebulous plan, with few details and enough funding to keep the wolves off his door. The goal is so far out in the future that he doesn't have to be committed to it, it'll be someone else's problem. It's a load of crap.
Not saying the previous administration, or the one's before that were any better. This is just more BS.

Savior? He didn't save anything. He just laid out some nebulous plan, with few details and enough funding to keep the wolves off his door. The goal is so far out in the future that he doesn't have to be committed to it, it'll be someone else's problem. It's a load of crap.
Not saying the previous administration, or the one's before that were any better. This is just more BS.

There's a very slight increase in the budget, but nothing meaningful. No president has taken this seriously since the days of Kennedy and Johnson.

There's a very slight increase in the budget, but nothing meaningful. No president has taken this seriously since the days of Kennedy and Johnson.

Exactly, business as usual.
If you would have told me in the past we'd have to rely on the Russians for manned space flight (for any period of time), I would have said you were crazy. This problem goes back for years and is just being perpetuated.

I completely agree with you. Get Hollywood types, sports stars, and musicians to support it and then make it a really well produced occasion. You have to make space "cool" (or whatever word the kids use these days). Pop-culture it up. A reality show to send a civilian. Something.

I can see it all now... "Who Wants to Fly to the Moon?"

Just kidding. Yeah, it's the old throw-em-a-bone deal to quiet down the few of us who are interested in actual exploration of space. We have left the door wide open for some country like China to jump in and wow the world. I'll bet they are planning to take advantage of the opportunity.

I can see it all now... "Who Wants to Fly to the Moon?"

Just kidding. Yeah, it's the old throw-em-a-bone deal to quiet down the few of us who are interested in actual exploration of space. We have left the door wide open for some country like China to jump in and wow the world. I'll bet they are planning to take advantage of the opportunity.

If it works, it works. As long as it gets us focused on space exploration again it can't be all bad.

Back