• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Richard Toronto and Geneva Hagen

wwkirk

Paranormal Adept
Ray Palmer and Richard Shavers were fascinating fellows. It was fun hearing about them.

Another thing I like is the re-cap at the beginning of the show. But I don't like it so much that I want to listen to it twice. The 1st and 3rd segments are identical.

Hey Mr Steinberg, you first segment repeats at roughly 28mins into it. So far show is pretty good would like to hear the missing part though.

Fabulous show. I have the an original copy of first appearance of the Shaver Mystery and it is hilarious and disorienting. I believe that Palmer appears in a photo in the same issue, dressed in military garb and calling himself by another name (pretending to be one of the authors of a story in the same pulp).

An example of how Shaver had some fantastic ideas was related on the Long John show: Supposedly there is a building in New York City that has an elevator in which, if you push the basement button a certain number of times , you can travel down into the land of the Deros.

I have an interesting book on outsider art that features Shaver's work.

Thanks,

Lance

On yes, THAT elevator. :)

Shaver is a fascinating individual, and the story of how Palmer exploited his story is a classic. Richard Toronto really has covered the Shaver/Palmer story in great depth, and have explored its larger, lasting cultural impact.

I really enjoyed the show, you had a lot of things going on that hit my buttons. I'm particularly interested in this era both in Science Fiction and Flying Saucers. From everything I hear, while the two groups had some audience overlap, there was almost an enmity between the two camps, with some of the big-name SF authors being big critics/skeptics. I'd love to hear a full-length show examining this.

As I recall, people who were deep into science fiction were often at odds with anyone who also accepted the possibility that UFOs were real. But the real issue would be what guests we'd invite. Obviously, many of the participants are no longer with us. Suggestions?

Harlan has been interviewed on radio recently (Kicks Books released some of his early short stories), so he is kind of available, and he might be amused to pummel and punch and rip to shreds ANY parabeliefs anyone might have. And he would be extremely entertaining/intelligent. Just don't get on his bad side.

The fabulous science and science fiction author Rudy Rucker, who wrote a 'non'-fictional ufo title SAUCER WISDOM would be good guest, but not so much of that era. He published Mac Tonnies fiction and has written about UFOs in science fiction.

Pohl would be a very interesting guest with his knowledge of the field as a writer and editor.

In all honesty it sounds like Geneva has typed her answers into a version of dragon naturally speaking software and the software has blurted the text out? Almost like listening to a female "anonymous" vid !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now THAT would be fun if he were available.

Got a 'Harlan Ellison' story for you; for your entertainment. In the early nineties, I was represented by C.E.D., one of the top commercial agencies here. I dropped by to see my agent; at the time I was trying to develop projects for TV and film around the UFO topic. She lives in the hills south of Ventura Blvd. in Sherman Oaks. She walks her dog in the early morning, and it is often foggy then. Harlan lives up the street from her in a pyramidal shaped house. As she walked up the street toward his house; she saw multicolored lights in the street ahead through the mist. At first she thought it might be emergency vehicle lights and wondered what might be the problem. As she got almost to his house, the lights slowly rose straight up and flew away silently. I thought she was pulling my leg, so I laughed, but she was serious to the point that she said it had deeply affected her and convinced her that there was something to this 'ufo business.

Back