• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Richard Toronto and Geneva Hagen

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
We've invited Richard Toronto, author of a fascinating new book,"War Over Lemuria: Richard Shaver, Ray Palmer and the Strangest Chapter of 1940s Science Fiction," to join us for a recording session on Tuesday, July 2 from 11 AM until 1 PM Pacific.

Toronto, a former newspaper reporter, is a long time student of the Shaver Mystery. We'll also be joined by Geneva Hagen, co-editor of the now-defunct UFO/occult magazine, "Caveat Emptor," and a friend of Shaver's.

As many of you know, Shaver and Palmer in their own ways helped introduce the UFO mystery to the public in the very early days, and their personal stories are endlessly fascinating.

You may also want to hear our interview featuring Ray Palmer's son to get a background for this episode:

January 13, 2013 — Raymond B. Palmer and Tim “Mr. UFO” Beckley

Richard, the underlying themes of the Shaver Mystery seem to have been recycled for the dark vision of UFOlogy in the 80s, with sinister technologically advanced beings preying on and toying with humans- with abductions, torture and mutilations in secret underground locations. Do you see the similarity, and could the belief in the Greys be just another manipulation of us by the Deros?

Geneva, I'm sure you have met both Contactees and Abductees who were sincere and convinced of the reality of their experience. How was Richard Shaver different from them?

Do you think Shaver believed his story.
Did you find out that he was put in a mental institution and details about his condition.
Did shaver ever write anything else.

I'm just reading the engagingly written but visually pedestrian Fred Nadis book on the subject. Besides having known Shaver and spending decades studying and discussing his works, what other reasons are there to pick your book over Nadis'?

Also, I'd love to hear you discuss Shaver's paintings. Do you know how many still exist? I dearly hope you will publish a glorious coffee table book from those existing slides of his otherwise lost art…

Question for everyone:

"Obscured by the hoaxes, distorted by the literary charlatans who hail every vagrant light as a verified space ship, the case of the flying saucer rests on the inexplicable instances that have cropped up year after year since 1947. "
-Captain Edward J. Ruppelt, USAFR
What Our Air Force Found Out About UFOs -True Magazine May 1954

"literary charlatans"? any educated guesses as to who he was referring to?

Mr. Richard, I've always been a fan of sci-fi mainly because of the "science" as a opposed to the "fantastical" fantasy genre. One thing I've noticed is that there's an influx of science fiction either prior to or immediately after times of war or major world wide events and I was wondering if you think that the influx is because people are seeking a distraction for everything OR maybe because the governments are looking for an answer (i.e. weapons or therory) to the forethcoming event or help preventing them? Because like Gene and Chris had mentioned the urological world is pretty much free research for big brother.

Ms.Geneva, I'm not too sure of how much in touch you were with Mr. Shaver in his last days but could you let us know if he stuck to his stories till the end and/or ever regretted anything about his theory?

Back