• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Richard Jeni death/suicide

I just hate hearing that people take their own lives. It's such a selfish act. He was a very funny man but if he took his onw life then I have much less respect for him.

cottonzway said:
I just hate hearing that people take their own lives. It's such a selfish act. He was a very funny man but if he took his onw life then I have much less respect for him.

I've battled suicidal depression for years. If wanting to end great pain is selfish, so is wanting someone to stick around and endure it for you. People that don't suffer with severe suicidal depression don't know the pain. They act as if we just get the blues etc. It's more complicated than that.

A.LeClair said:
I've battled suicidal depression for years. If wanting to end great pain is selfish, so is wanting someone to stick around and endure it for you. People that don't suffer with severe suicidal depression don't know the pain. They act as if we just get the blues etc. It's more complicated than that.

I know where you are coming from, and I don't think its selfish.

I think people still mix up "being down a bit", with true depression which has its roots in chemical imbalances in the brain.

My fave comedian was mitch hedberg, who has also died. he had some stupid humour but at least it was a break from the horrors of reality. R.I.P. Mitch

In regards to Richard, he was also diagnosed with some kind of paranoia. Here's his family's remarks. Richard Jeni

For those that want to think ill of Jeni, you have that right of course, I have the right to criticize it:) Maybe take note at the lack of bitterness from his family. Also ask yourself if you knew him more so than his family... Then maybe try a little compassion instead of insulting. Just a recommendation. Maybe remember that this selfish person brought laughter and joy to many. Perhaps more so than some of us here.

Yes suicide is a tradgedy, it is selfish, but prob not intentionally so. here in NZ it isn't even allowed to be reported because when people hear about it it is copied.

philip12 said:
Yes suicide is a tradgedy, it is selfish, but prob not intentionally so. here in NZ it isn't even allowed to be reported because when people hear about it it is copied.

I think you are getting things mixed up. Suicide can be reported on in NZ, however there is legislation in place which aims to protect the rights of the victim and the family.

http://www.presscouncil.org.nz/articles/AR_suicide_reporting_ex.htm

Back