• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Richard Dolan - Reply to Critique of My Work

I'm not going to pick sides in this one but want to thank Dolan, Schulyer and the Paracast forum's for serving as a place for their dialogue. The open discussion between then two and the commentary from the members is also an example of more of what is needed.

My $0.02 is I can certainly understand and agree with much of Schulyer's criticisms. Dolan perhaps could have used more care in his citations and distinguishing facts from opinions. I can also see Dolan's points. I bet a lot of so called "academic" historian work also falls short in the same ways. I can also see faults in both their arguments. However such is the nature of human discourse. It seems to me it boils down to first principles. Do you inherently believe there is a phenomenon? If so why is it so elusive when it comes to real hard evidence (smoking gun)? Do you believe government is just a group of people with individual interests or do you believe the government inherently, by its nature, creates a system that pits itself against the citizenry? We can only guess at answers because the phenomenon is so elusive and so much disinformation exists. It's kind of like the debate between positivists and anti-positivists/objectivists. I hope this kind of debate continues in a productive way.

I have stayed out of this one. Mostly because I haven't read anything by Richard Dolan. I am more into the afterlife and reincarnation and the idea that the u.f.o. issue might be as much a spiritual or even military issue as a "man from space" issue. I have read Schulyer posting and have agreed with much in the past. That being said let me say this. Anytime and I mean Anytime I hear name calling I pretty much tune out the rest of the story. Why? Well, I (in the early nineties) listened to Rush Limbaugh at one time. Now I'm left of center but I have had my "years" of being right of center. Anyway, one of the most effective and dishonest tatics mr. limbaugh used and still does was to attack the character of a person instead of the issues. G. Gordon Liddy was great at this also but he used grammar and spelling and speech errors as his smoke and mirrors. Anyway, for instance consider the following sentence. "tyder has an interest in the esoteric and has read books on NDE's and U.f.O."s and reincarnation as well as religous studies."

Now say it this way " Nimrod over there believes in u.f.o.'s, n.d.e.'s and that he was a "frog" in a past life." Roll eyes and make snorting sound here.

Now Tyder may or may not be "right" in his studies or beliefs but the studies and beliefs in their own right are neither stupid or wise. It's just a way of looking at life. So, when you marginalize someone and make up cute little derogatory names for Linda Howe or anybody else then ya lose me. Not because I think Linda Molton Howe is a great researcher. I don't know if she is or not. But, just as jimmy randi attacks character when he debates a scientist (some envy going on there?) and the far right/left calling names turns me off. Well, so does a otherwise valid rebuke such as that written by Mr. Schulyer. Not because he's wrong. He makes valid points. But, because once you enter the world of "marginalizing" ideas and people with inuendos about their character or motivations then you bring it down to the level of a brawl. Maybe there is a time and place for it. If so then I need to just hush. But, these are some things I thought of as I read this thread.

It appears we need a little tutorial on what constitutes 'Peer Review.' The only time I mentioned 'Peer Review' in my own review of Dolan's work was when I mentioned that as far as I knew Dolan had never undergone it. That's it. I do not maintain that my own review constitutes 'peer review;' in fact, I deny it. I never said it did.

'Peer Review' takes place prior to publication and most usually involves academic periodical articles. The method is that an article is submitted for publication. An editor removes the authors' names from the submission and sends copies to 'peers' in the subject area who are considered experts in their field, i.e.: Who have earned PhDs and usually have academic appointments in either teaching or research. Without knowing who wrote it, these academicians then rate the work and call 'yay' or 'nay' for publication, sometimes suggesting changes. If the work is approved for publication and actually published, the article has a certain 'cachet' and can be counted in the 'publish or perish' world of gaining tenure as a point in the author's favor. An important point is that neither the reviewers nor the authors know who each other are (at least in theory).

This is a very formal process. The first-named author gets most of the credit. Sometimes the last-named author, when there are several, has contributed nothing to the article at all; he's just allowed his name to be associated with it. This is also where graduate students do most of the work, but the 'author' in charge of them puts his own name on the work. For a PhD, especially, the degree is not awarded; it is conferred upon you. That means you do what your mentor tells you to do.

'Peer Reviewed' works are considered properly vetted. They can be cited by other researchers and form the basis of what is 'accepted science.' A very good example of this can be seen in the current Climategate controversy. The scientists involved make the claim that they (1) do not have to pay attention to so-called 'research' that has not been peer reviewed, and (2) that ALL the IPCCv4 research has been 'peer reviewed' (and therefore sound and 'settled' science.)

The controversy in that case has arisen because it has been shown that the scientists involved, at least a few of them, attempted to influence the process of 'peer review' by interfering in the editorial process and arranging a priori who would review their work. Secondly, the IPCCv4 report has been shown to be riddled with non-peer-reviewed references, including popular magazine articles and articles from green advocacy groups. This tends to lessen the 'settled science' argument used by the advocates of global warming.

That particular issue is being dealt with in depth elsewhere on these forums, but I thought it presented a very good example of the process of peer review and how peer review works.

To return to the heart of the matter, Dolan's two volume work has not been peer reviewed. In this field there is no mechanism for peer review. It is a popular treatment masquerading as a scholarly work. My own 'tinfoil hat' review represents my own findings after having read the book and followed provided references. It also summarizes what others have said about the works, which in many cases is rougher on Dolan than I am.

Quite frankly, I was shocked to discover how poor this work was. I had read the first book in the superficial manner most of us probably have, and I blame myself for that. The use of secondary and even tertiary sources without examining the actual sources themselves is shameful and would never be tolerated in academia. The leaps of logic converting philosophical musings to points of fact are equally astounding. And moving from ten inch red balls of light to worldwide conspiracy makes you reach for the tin foil hat. It's a sad testimony to the field of Ufology that this is the cream of the crop and the best we can muster. No wonder the rest of the world laughs at Ufology and considers anyone involved to be as nutty as a fruitcake.

As to the critics of my criticism, you have actually read the book, right? You have followed a few references to see where they went, including finding a few of those dead ends, right? There are plenty of them so you won't have any trouble finding them accidentally. So your words of wisdom on this are based on facts that you have independently verified for yourselves, right? Well, that's great. I'm glad you have done that. Otherwise I don't see why anyone should pay attention to you. It's kind of like peer review. If you haven't done your homework, how do you know you are right? Upon what facts in the books themselves are you basing your opinion?

I do intend to follow Dolan from this point onwards. I think it would be a shame if the criticism of his work gets once again hidden behind un-indexed periodicals and obscure web sites subject to change and deletion. Never again will there be a situation where anyone can successfully claim that Dolan has never been adequately challenged. He can fuss and fume all he wants, but this is going to be out there, and available for all to see for themselves what the problems with Dolan's scholarship actually are.

I'm amazed at how lame you can be, Schuyler. Dolan's books are some of the best in Ufology. And where is your UFO scholarly work? Does it exist? No.

Lame. Honestly, I have no idea why David Biedny thinks you're so smart.

I'm amazed at how lame you can be, Schuyler. Dolan's books are some of the best in Ufology. And where is your UFO scholarly work? Does it exist? No.

Let be be the next to add a big fat "Huh?" Is it Official Personal Attacks Month and no one told me about it? On the unlikely chance you're serious and don't know about the documents jkoci posted above as well as the body of posts on this forums, let me be the first to say I have some problems with Schuyler's critique of Dolan's work, but I have great respect for Schuyler. He has, in fact, done his homework in spades, as the documents posted will attest.

Oops. I have no scholarly work on anything (except, maybe, Portuguese Literature... long story). Must. Quit. Critical. Thinking.

Dolan has a lot of merit, for certain.

I mentioned the research captured from the Japanese at the end of WWII. Here you can see the nature of why weapons in space have a serious future impact on your life. In fact they can target a mailbox and read it, and they could do that many years ago. YOU should know if you do something they really do not like they can eliminate YOU. You might ask why they do not use space weapons in the Middle East or to assassinate certain people. I will be happy to explain why, starting with de-stabilization has been their goal in that region since Israel was created. Decades ago I knew they had accurate lasers in space that could burn a 200 foot deep hole in the Earth. Now it is far worse.

They did use minor psy-ops on a bunker full of Saddam's men. That bunker was huge, had tanks and such. It was built by Germans who knew about space based lasers. After two weeks of microwave or rudimentary machines like used at Ruby Ridge or Waco; the elite fighting force of Iraq surrendered without a shot being fired.

Toward a Psycho-Civilized Society by David G. Guyatt

I mentioned Kucinich and the Russians unsuccessful attempts to stop space based mind control and death rays etc.

"In 1993, Defense News announced that the Russian government was discussing with American counterparts the transfer of technical information and equipment known as "Acoustic Psycho-correction." The Russians claimed that this device involves "the transmission of specific commands via static or white noise bands into the human subconscious without upsetting other intellectual functions." Experts said that demonstrations of this equipment have shown "encouraging" results "after exposure of less than one minute," and has produced "the ability to alter behavior on willing and unwilling subjects." The article goes on to explain that combined "software and hardware associated with the (sic) psycho-correction program could be procured for as little as U.S. $80,000." The Russians went on to observe that "World opinion is not ready for dealing appropriately with the problems coming from the possibility of direct access to the human mind." "

I am tempted to post a thread here titled - Idiots are the Reason Humanity is Doomed. And because people here do not read "Encyclopedias of information" (to quote one person here in reference to my work - and she actually reads more than anyone else as far as I can see), and only put this one little remark from Guyatt's excellent research from a long time ago.

"Experts said that demonstrations of this equipment have shown "encouraging" results "after exposure of less than one minute," and has produced "the ability to alter behavior on willing and unwilling subjects." The article goes on to explain that combined "software and hardware associated with the (sic) psycho-correction program could be procured for as little as U.S. $80,000." The Russians went on to observe that "World opinion is not ready for dealing appropriately with the problems coming from the possibility of direct access to the human mind." "

Back