• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Richard Dolan Oct. 26

Dolan's inability to critique that which deserves criticism, and his excessive criticism of anything that calls hoax on the UFO, signals to me his primary objective, to maintain the ongoing discussion about ufo's because it is tied to his livelihood. It's nice when people take critical positions on Ufology, instead of saying, "anything's possible," all the time. While listening carefully to commentators in the field you can clearly use this as a dividing line: those who say anything's possible vs. those who express doubt and scathing critiques of the hoaxer. Let's listen carefully to smooth talkin' Micah this weekend and see where he positions himself. This does not necessarily mean to critique their individual work or total contributions, just my own critical observations of the modus operandi of some.

*settles back into armchair, remote control in hand*

Congratulations Gene and Chris, the best in interview with Richard ever. I was very interested in his thoughts on the subjects that were brought up.

I really enjoyed the interview until it lurched in the MJ12 nonsense and also the Aztec case but have to agree with the dismissal of Carrions's work without reading it. Personally, I don't believe a word of Carrion's explanations, but to slate it without reading it came across as very harsh. Read it and you'll see its nonsense, cherry picking information to suit a personal agenda. Other than that, great stuff as usual.

As for Mr. Dolan, I like him, I've always liked him, I think he's done some great work. That being said, someone (I think it was the former co host) once described Dolan as a diplomat, ...just to avoid pissing off his fellow researchers so those "lucrative" conference speaker jobs don't dry up.

Well said.

Everyone has an agenda. You, me, everybody. A position to defend, & a reality box to protect (or throw away).
So you read and view everything, always keeping this in mind. Believe nothing is the rule.

The problem comes from the fact that most people's reality boxes are very limited, usually dated according to whatever scientific/philosophical/idealogical paradigm that imprinted on them from parents & perceived authority figures, and constantly distorted by most people's proclivity for associative thinking.

Everything isn't possible, but what is possible is usually far beyond where most people are willing, or able, to go.

So Dolan's a diplomat. So that's now a negative somehow? If anything, this "field" needs more people with social skills,
not less. A lack of tact doesn't get you very far in actual day to day interactions with people. Dolan just shows himself to be a mature adult in this respect.

He has a a soft spot for his friends. Who doesn't? As long as you're aware of it, filter appropriately.

Richard Dolan is still hands down the best historian ufology has to offer. Whether you think that statement is a positive or a
negative depends on your viewpoint, agenda, & reality box. your mileage on these views will vary.

Cheers!

Ironically Goggs think it's more than one so called breakaway group ? and more plausible they have their links connected to linage.the so called whilsleblowers which plast YouTube videos why on earth would you put out there if secrect more disinformation. The chap he interviewed in the home so called Intel group would be silly as if the information was real the individuals family would be in trouble as prosecuted under the secret act (which last until the individual is dead ) of the nation. However, in Col Corso case he more likely did not reveal the good stuff.

Ironically Goggs think it's more than one so called breakaway group ? and more plausible they have their links connected to linage.the so called whilsleblowers which plast YouTube videos why on earth would you put out there if secrect more disinformation. The chap he interviewed in the home so called Intel group would be silly as if the information was real the individuals family would be in trouble as prosecuted under the secret act (which last until the individual is dead ) of the nation. However, in Col Corso case he more likely did not reveal the good stuff.

Excellent point about the Official Secrets Act Blowfish. On the other hand, attempting to prosecute in these situations brings unwanted attention, and more importantly, validity to the claims of the whistleblower. Better to belittle, humiliate, or ignore. Call them a "Conspiracy Theorist" or their claims "Woo Woo". Those memes always work with the masses, & intellectuals : ) Cheers!

His stance on "anything's possible" makes his opinions on Ufological history more than a little wishy washy at times and not really the rigorous historian he likes to portray himself as. Quality historians acknowledge who their friends are in the field and still critique them just as harshly as any other writer or researcher. Clark constantly dismisses Jacobs' abduction and hybrid invasion hypothesis, but still calls him friend. While yes, Dolan uses citations, he does not always discriminate. There's always a bomb load of information presented in his works but that's not always a measurement of accuracy.

Back