• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Request For Feedback

Free episodes:

Is it time for a new order of data management in the paranormal field?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You're way off the mark

• I don't care

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mmmm.... Steak.

Bravo. We do have to acknowledge the pitfalls and barriers in order to move forward... Risks and opportunities. But you have finished on the high note... Persistence is always the unlocker of doors.

Glad to have you on board.

Just a quick...ish note. This topic can really get me going so I could easily write a book.

Screw that dude, why not blog about it, better still, when the site is setup, why not blog about these as individual topics and the many others?

I also co-own a private data center and disaster recovery facility.

*cough* I fully own one of them.... it's a 2Gig USB stick *cough* Ta da! :)

Like everything associated with this field and phenomenon, trying to consolidate UFO data is a story laden with drama, dripping with frustration, and burdened by short sighted and "me"centric ego. It is gonna be a hard row to hoe.

I am hopeful that the miscreants of these forums will keep us honest in this regard.

Pitfalls and Problems
1. Access to Data. MUFON is the widest and largest UFO related data collection and consolidation entity in the world not run by a government or reclusive billionaire. Probably 85%+ of the worlds reports end up there. Personally I think this is a conservative estimate. This collection runs for over 40 years. A few years back MUFON sold their entire data collection effort to a notorious figure in Las Vegas and the entire collection was boxed up and sent there. The contract between MUFON and Bigelow was leaked and is displayed somewhere in the forum archives in its entirety. Its a dry but interesting read. One interesting part is that the Bigelow group got everything and only had to return something like 3 or 4 pieces of data to MUFON. (Bob Bigelow Bought MUFON ?? | The Paracast Community Forums)

It is my recollection that part of this contract was that MUFON could not grant unrestricted access to the data it retained. But I have not read it in years and cant remember all the details. Instead MUFON created an extremely worthless database search engine that gives very little if any relevant research data. But, it does give MUFON the ability to represent themselves as having a degree of transparency of data. To be clear, they do not and are not at all interested in hearing about data search patterns, cross correlative data analysis, historical data reconstruction, or any number of other ways the data collected could be used to garner information.

I understand that, as you say, you only have to look at the search to understand that. Although part of me thinks that it might be hard for them to do lots on a shoestring budget and with people running who are not clued up on the tech side of things. I guess in some ways, it benefits them NOT to have a good search facility otherwise more people would use it = more bandwidth charges = more drains on their funds - it might eventually bankrupt them and then it all disappears.

Of the remaining 15% of collections, most are guarded by people or entities that do not want to share their data. Most of my pleas were either unanswered or I was given a "not at this time" response. But, in fairness, I was one man. I feel now and have always felt that a group would get more attention and perhaps elicit a different reaction.

yeah, that's what i expect, that's a mindset that needs to change.. but would take a long time. You can understand from one perspective if they've put all the leg work in. However, if you can get enough people over time to each address one case or work a small area but will share their data, then the relative cost for all comes down markedly. It is then a matter of using your time productively to look over the data and pick out the bits of interest.

2. Deaf Ears. I have personally plead the case to MUFON about truely opening their database to qualified researchers. I suggested things like creating a qualification or certification program, creating a MUFON profit center by allowing researchers to pay for access, Requiring researchers to sign very restrictive NDA's, and many more ideas. But no. ALL of my suggestions were ignored or shot down and I kept being referred to the same bullshit database search engine you get access to when paying for a MUFON membership. Frustrating.

Out of interest, did you approach only US based entities? I do find that European's tend to be more open in this regard, and you can see this at a low level by the govts releasing data along these lines.

3. Data Integrity/Consistency. How do you ensure that the data you are collecting is reliable and unaltered. I have seen the same incident reported in 3 different ways from 3 different sources. If you have been looking into this subject with any depth you have seen the same thing. The problem is that some of these stories are so freakishly divergent they almost need to two or three different occurrences. So much of this phenomenon seems to be perception. When you have 3+ stories your going to get 3+ different perceptions of the events. How do you consolidate these and still maintain consistency, cohesion, and integrity? It becomes a really difficult job very quickly. All of this only compounds when your data provider is sketchy.

I think I need to be clear here, for me, I would have no objection to having three different sources in three different ways reporting the same case. I just want to collect / give the data. I'm still expecting the person using the data to use their brain and to cross analyse those reports - we're not trying to build BigBlue here :) Secondly, when they put their points across, they could clearly cite the cases and sources for others to correlate. There is not much difference (to me) from making the same comparison of a sighting that might be reported in three different newspapers in the same region - the perspectives will be driven by the reporter, the editor and what other news events are happening on that day. It is all about perceptions(or opinions) and I think that should be left in the hands of the researcher or person presenting that data.

What we can do, is make it easier for people to contribute data that they may be able to collect from their block/neighbourhood and not to have to go miles out of their way to do something. In some ways, I guess we could be enabling the 'lazy researcher' and trying to motivate them to become more involved, or giving the seasoned researcher a chance to look at their data in a much wider context.

There are more negatives, but these are the biggest issues. NOBODY wants to give up their data. Sure they will give you small tid bits or point you to their book. But if you want to have a database that is useful for research it must include details that are more often irrelevant to a story. For instance, in a book I might say, "the object was seen on the ground in Macon County". For a book that might suffice. But a researcher might want to cross correlate data points with other databases or services. I might need to know exactly where in Macon County so that I can lookup common vegetation, topography, soil composition, population dispersal, etc.

This is true, but its a long game here, things will not be perfect on day one. I would fully expect that cases/data should be curated over time, some will be quick and then stabilize, others will grow over a much longer burn as people's interests wax and wane.

Even congenial researchers/authors that preach openness are not willing to provide their data. Some will angrily tell you to go do the research yourself. Others will promise and never quite "make the time" to get you what you ask for. I have even been told that I could buy all the research a certain guy had for $2000. I declined.

BUT, and I want to stress this, lets not let history deter from trying again. Its frustrating and sometimes you have to take a step back for a while but the pay off would be too cool to "go quietly into the night" on the idea. I am still willing to help and it looks like the forum is attracting more of the technical crowd, much to my pleasure, so why not give it another try.

tenacitate per adversis

bb

I also agree that many viewpoints of the same instance would be useful. Perhaps this can be most effectively done by assigning an event a case identifier and then adding case entries assigned to that identifier.

I also wholeheartedly agree that even bad information is useful information if mined and reported as such. So the obvious implication is that each case entry needs some sort of ranking scheme. Perhaps multiple rankings for a number of criteria. This will take some thought and trial/error but the rankings could be very useful.

Off the top of my head the following are some criteria I think would be useful to rank. These are in no particular order and only scratch the barest of surfaces of what is needed.
1 - supplemental documentation
2 - reliability
3 - strangeness
4 - Degree of anomolousness (yeah, I know its not a word but its late and I couldn't think of an easier way to describe what I was thinking. :))

Of course the best way to do this would be to have certain members capable of ranking the case entry and then take the aggregate of those rankings and report that as the overall entry rank. The hope here would be that as the case entry is reviewed any individual subjectivity is lessened and the aggregate ranking approaches a true assessment of the entry.

It would also be good to be able to report on each reviewers rankings. Thereby allowing for a bias profile of the reviewer. This could be effectively used later as more data mining criteria.

My hope is that there might exist a group that would be interested in not just collecting and sorting the data but in improving it. For instance, something as simple as mapping the Lat/Long of each incident and sighting location. Even if it is not super accurate could potentially pay big dividends when looking for broad topographical or timeline oriented patterns, etc. My real point is that the core data should remain the same but supporting or corresponding data should be able to be linked or attached to it. It would not always make sense to create this supporting information as a new case entry. Especially if the same supplemental information is relevant to multiple cases or case entries. What do you guys/gals think?

I also agree that many viewpoints of the same instance would be useful. Perhaps this can be most effectively done by assigning an event a case identifier and then adding case entries assigned to that identifier.

Yup, it could be as simple as title holder and then everything else is related to that title so you could have n+1 entries as needed that would form the contents of the case - warts and all.

I also wholeheartedly agree that even bad information is useful information if mined and reported as such. So the obvious implication is that each case entry needs some sort of ranking scheme. Perhaps multiple rankings for a number of criteria. This will take some thought and trial/error but the rankings could be very useful.

Absolutely, if you think of it as a tree with the case as the trunk and the entries as main branches and then say the contributor as a sub-branch and so until you get the the leaves which is the data itself. You could attach a ranking scheme of sorts to each branch that can then be tallied to form an aggregate total at the 'trunk' level. It also means you could report on a ranking scheme at sub-levels. For instance, what is the aggregate rank of the contributors to that case. You can then start to ask questions like, show me the cases that have a low number of contributors but a high ranking - that might be the place where some contributors are working on a case which is fairly new and unknown whereas something the 'R' event in '47 will most likely have shedloads of contributors and so it's ranking will initially vacillate wildly, but eventually will settle to an average based on the contributions of a few really valuable contributors and others who may just contribute a small amount and leave.

Off the top of my head the following are some criteria I think would be useful to rank. These are in no particular order and only scratch the barest of surfaces of what is needed.
1 - supplemental documentation
2 - reliability
3 - strangeness
4 - Degree of anomolousness (yeah, I know its not a word but its late and I couldn't think of an easier way to describe what I was thinking. :))

Great, I look forward to seeing them in some contributed documents once the WP site is up.

Of course the best way to do this would be to have certain members capable of ranking the case entry and then take the aggregate of those rankings and report that as the overall entry rank. The hope here would be that as the case entry is reviewed any individual subjectivity is lessened and the aggregate ranking approaches a true assessment of the entry.

I agree with this, although my personal preference would be more egalitarian and allow anyone to contribute and for the ranking of that case to realise itself over time. New cases will always move up and down wildly, but over time will settle to their natural rank. We shouldn't also discount that a new member, whilst possibly not having a great rank could still give very valuable input to new or existing cases - we would just treat their contribution with a little more caution until they become more proven against the dataset - kinda like in R/L where a new person coming into your friendship group takes time to be accepted fully.

It would also be good to be able to report on each reviewers rankings. Thereby allowing for a bias profile of the reviewer. This could be effectively used later as more data mining criteria.

Absolutely. However, this is the one area I think would present most problems, because you're actually saying (via the ranking algorithms) that you either trust or distrust this user on the system. My legal brainlet is just a little concerned with how you would approach this. It just needs some concerted thought. For example, how would stop a concerted effort to bring down the ranking of a respected individual because they happen to have noticed a big hole in one case. You see this sort of stuff all the time on the various bulletin and mail lists .i.e. how do you take the petty 'back-stabiness' out of this - the ego, so you focus totally on the data at hand?

My hope is that there might exist a group that would be interested in not just collecting and sorting the data but in improving it.

Agree totally. Taking the OSS mantra of "many eyes make all bugs shallow", I really think that the more brains you can put against this type of information, the more tested the data will become.

For instance, something as simple as mapping the Lat/Long of each incident and sighting location. Even if it is not super accurate could potentially pay big dividends when looking for broad topographical or timeline oriented patterns, etc.

Yes, good points, you can cluster points based on the varied input for location and then give a +/- error correction for anyone looking at the data.

My real point is that the core data should remain the same but supporting or corresponding data should be able to be linked or attached to it. It would not always make sense to create this supporting information as a new case entry. Especially if the same supplemental information is relevant to multiple cases or case entries. What do you guys/gals think?

Makes sense, especially for contributors and things like places etc.. you could effectively create groupings. So you can groups case entries under a group(s), contributors could also be grouped - you could model the MUFON investigators but also leave them as individuals to do what they wanted as an example. There are probably some types of data that are effectively import once and leave as is, such as placenames, dictionary / authority definitions. All worthy thoughts so I look forward to your contributions in modelling it all.

Keep on truckin'

bb

So, let's bring this item back into the foreground again. After a much needed break work has continued on a beta site to capture aspects of a data model, ideas, risks/opportunities and general feedback. I will be asking the very generous host and active participants to help me get this ready for a 'soft opening' as soon as possible. In the meantime I invite all those still interested to help me identify existing standards that may be in use out there... there's no use reinventing wheels (we just want to aggregate them and give them a coat of Armour All).

For those of a technical bent, there is this: Resource Description Framework (RDF) Model and Syntax Specification

So, after a very long break from this topic I was reminded today in discussion with a colleague of the importance of maintaining the energy associated with discussions like this. As a matter of social accountability I decided I'd better post an update.

Work on a website to help capture ideas and issues around this concept did progress... as did my continuous research and discussion across the field as time permitted. And I came to very clear personal conclusion.

In the current culture associated with these fields, and given the constraints that prevail, there is absolutely no value in defining or constructing 'yet another' database or data model. The fact is these efforts are more inclined to aggravate existing issues than solve problems related to discovering new wisdom from the tomes of data that already choke this field, or are held closely by various parties. We have discussed how much data is potentially out there... in private databases, garages and secreted/forgotten boxes in attics dusted with time. Simply, providing a revised data capture and storage standard followed by an actual database will not coax any of that data out to play, or address the issue of how to interpret it. There's simply nothing in it for anyone who covets the data, and nothing about a standard that determines usefulness.

So what then, you ask (maybe)? I believe the only available first step is a live proof of concept demonstrating the potential of applying advanced spatial and behavioural analysis to an existing data set, whether from a single source, or cobbled together from a few. I believe that a written business case for this may encourage participation by at least one data owner and, if the value proposition is carefully crafted, by parties with a financial interest.

The potential of correlative analysis within large numbers of sighting records with respect to observed attributes (e.g. physical characteristics, location, behaviour and correlation to other data sets such as human facilities, critical events, geological features, etc. ) lies in the revelation of patterns that cannot be ascertained across a single event or limited number of events. Such discoveries not only satisfy the curiosity of enthusiasts to a new level, but open new directions of research and offer refinements to existing study. Visualisation of data that suggests hot spots, flight corridors, evolution of physical and behavioural characteristics over time or even suggestion as to processes, technology, and intent can be directly exploited for intelligence and research purposes, both commercially and academically. Such data may also support or negate specific popular assumptions and theories which, in the long term, can only benefit the field.

So I will be writing up that case as time permits, and I will submit it to parties who may have a strong interest in gaining financially from the discovery of new things, let alone those who simply want to see new truths revealed in a field growing stale with repetition. I am interested to see how this community reacts to the shifted direction. As I implied in the beginning... maybe this is just nonsense or impossible. Maybe its worthless. Maybe.

Lorem, My knowledge of statistics is rudimentary nor am I familiar with what analyses of UFO statistics have been done throughout the decades. If there is one person you need to consult, it is indeed Vallee.

The only suggestion I might offer is something I picked up while listening to the most recent Greg Bishop podcast with Nick Redfern and Chris O'Brien. We seem to be dealing with (or it with us) a phenomenon that is uniquely personal to witnesses, whether in single or multiple witness encounters. Perhaps, as opposed to a meta-analysis of the physical manifestation of these objects, a statistical investigation of its effects on credible witnesses might be revealing. A study involving changes ( if any) in witnesses' personalities, world view and subsequent life experiences both immediately post encounter and in subsequent years might show signal in the noise. This cannot be a new idea.

For obvious reasons, this would be a difficult study to do. It would first require some kind of operational definition of "credible witness(es)" and permission to intrude upon personal lives over time. The most obvious problem is that those who agree to cooperate have already front loaded the study by doing so. It could be a research psychologist's nightmare in terms of keeping things unbiased and scientifically honest. This is over my head. But if done properly it might show common correlates . Maybe. :confused:

So, after a very long break from this topic I was reminded today in discussion with a colleague of the importance of maintaining the energy associated with discussions like this. As a matter of social accountability I decided I'd better post an update ... So I will be writing up that case as time permits ...

Looking forward to it.

Lorem, glad to have you back.
I disagree with your conclusions - some of which I read as contradictory (YMMV). But I did come to roughly the same overall destination. Especially after listening to some of Chris's points about investigators.

I'll post back shortly on this specifically and then post a new thread where I'll deal with some fundamental problems for this subject area as a whole as I see it.

Cheers
Bb

In the current culture associated with these fields, and given the constraints that prevail, there is absolutely no value in defining or constructing 'yet another' database or data model. The fact is these efforts are more inclined to aggravate existing issues than solve problems related to discovering new wisdom from the tomes of data that already choke this field, or are held closely by various parties. We have discussed how much data is potentially out there... in private databases, garages and secreted/forgotten boxes in attics dusted with time. Simply, providing a revised data capture and storage standard followed by an actual database will not coax any of that data out to play, or address the issue of how to interpret it. There's simply nothing in it for anyone who covets the data, and nothing about a standard that determines usefulness.

I disagree here, providing a standard that others can freely follow allows for any data collected, whether it be in a private database or not, means that other datasets can be transposed over that data to enable better analysis. It allows both parties to know ahead of time what they might be collecting (even if they don't collect the full gamut of data possible, collecting a few fields can help to augment other datasets). Allowing anybody to put that data into somewhere gives people somewhere to store that data, which even if they don't use, can be used by other people over time. Prima facie evidence can be seen in citizen science projects such as planethunters.org and planet4.org. Making it easy to do 'stuff' is the key thing.

In terms of interpretation, that's an individual's choice, _making_ it easy for them to get at the raw data is key with the point being that if others can also see the raw data, then the interpretation can be put under a more scientific scrutiny. It is testable.

I do agree that getting the data from the garage is the hard part, but I wouldn't even go for that, I 'd write it off - that scenario has already, and continues to be, played out currently.

So what then, you ask (maybe)? I believe the only available first step is a live proof of concept demonstrating the potential of applying advanced spatial and behavioural analysis to an existing data set, whether from a single source, or cobbled together from a few. I believe that a written business case for this may encourage participation by at least one data owner and, if the value proposition is carefully crafted, by parties with a financial interest.

Whilst I thought that's where we were headed, it sounds as if you're advocating a closed system for the data? ..especially if it involved a financial interest. At some point the investor would want to monetise their investment (and quite rightly so), and the only real thing they'd have would be the data...and possibly a smaller dataset at that. You'd effectively just be replicating what happens today and for the last few years.

The potential of correlative analysis within large numbers of sighting records with respect to observed attributes (e.g. physical characteristics, location, behaviour and correlation to other data sets such as human facilities, critical events, geological features, etc. ) lies in the revelation of patterns that cannot be ascertained across a single event or limited number of events. Such discoveries not only satisfy the curiosity of enthusiasts to a new level, but open new directions of research and offer refinements to existing study.

This I do concur with, pattern recognition can be made interesting and also be chunked into small pieces that can be completed by anyone with a very small amount of loading(training) for the recognitions you are looking for. Augmenting existing (small bits of) data can also be done on a piecemeal basis.

Visualisation of data that suggests hot spots, flight corridors, evolution of physical and behavioural characteristics over time or even suggestion as to processes, technology, and intent can be directly exploited for intelligence and research purposes, both commercially and academically. Such data may also support or negate specific popular assumptions and theories which, in the long term, can only benefit the field.

Making it freely available gives the widest opportunity for discovery and allows groups to form around specifics of the data. The OpenStreetMap foundation provides a live working model of this.

So I will be writing up that case as time permits, and I will submit it to parties who may have a strong interest in gaining financially from the discovery of new things, let alone those who simply want to see new truths revealed in a field growing stale with repetition. I am interested to see how this community reacts to the shifted direction. As I implied in the beginning... maybe this is just nonsense or impossible. Maybe its worthless. Maybe.

Once you put a cost on something you'll start to limit access. You remove the incentive for the community to help you because the field becomes distorted by those who have access and those who do not. They have no incentive to give because they get nothing in return. The new truths only come when they decide it should come (usually when they get a financial benefit from it).

I cannot subscribe to this direction, it's been well-tread. I wish you well in your journey.

Bb

I've often said that when it comes to data sets, the old adage that garbage in = garbage out still applies. IMO the real challenge with constructing a working database isn't that we don't have data to plug in, it's that we don't have a team to properly screen and organize the data before it goes in. That's why a fully open project like a wiki isn't the answer. It would be about as reliable as YouTube and less reliable than the Weekly World News. What we need are volunteers with experience in ufology studies to sift through the reports, collate them, and submit them in a standardized format. From there they could be plugged into any kind of database. I constructed a basic search feature on the USI website that would work fine for that. All it needs is content. So if anyone is interested in compiling and submitting data ... I'll be glad to publish it and setup some keyword parameters to help researchers zero in on things like places, dates, sighting classifications and such. It would be nice to have a small team dedicated to this, and by that I mean more than just me ;) .

I'm going to offer what sounds like a cop-out and predict that even the best of analysis will reveal nothing of value . The reason for this is something Vallee points out in his writings: The phenomenon denies itself. It has historically operated with what seems to be almost complete control of time and space; and maybe of witnesses as well.

Now I will flip-flop again and say this should not stop us from actively pursuing "the truth" by whatever means we have. All serious efforts to unravel this ancient mystery, such as Lorem's, are worthy of our attention and support. Who knows--perhaps a crack will eventually open up either by virtue of the natural order of things or because the intelligence behind the phenomenon allows it. Or maybe pursuit itself is the point.

I've often said that when it comes to data sets, the old adage that garbage in = garbage out still applies. IMO the real challenge with constructing a working database isn't that we don't have data to plug in, it's that we don't have a team to properly screen and organize the data before it goes in. That's why a fully open project like a wiki isn't the answer. It would be about as reliable as YouTube and less reliable than the Weekly World News. What we need are volunteers with experience in ufology studies to sift through the reports, collate them, and submit them in a standardized format. From there they could be plugged into any kind of database. I constructed a basic search feature on the USI website that would work fine for that. All it needs is content. So if anyone is interested in compiling and submitting data ... I'll be glad to publish it and setup some keyword parameters to help researchers zero in on things like places, dates, sighting classifications and such. It would be nice to have a small team dedicated to this, and by that I mean more than just me ;) .

It may be in this topic thread or another, but I welcome garbage - to be clear, stuff like Mickey Mouse etc is a nuisance and can be filtered away. The garbage I mean is bogus cases/ people (which currently exist in the offline world), as such, identifying those people/cases has as much value as identifying the 'real' data. It acts as shortcut for those new to the area of interest, it potentially exposes other cases where the person has been involved as warranting more investigation and it could help as a pattern for profiling the egoes that are pre-disposed to this topic.

I think at the start of a project like this, you would only get a team that were willing to be altruistic to some degree and give their time/efforts towards bootstrapping the project and cleaning some of the data. The one thing that was validated again for me, was that although a few people volunteered their time, when it came to it, only Lorem and myself put any effort in - I guess there could be several reasons for this, but in the cold light of day, that is the fact as it stands at the moment. Gene kindly volunteered the hosting for it and hopefully will for anything that comes in the future, but apart from that, I saw nothing.

I'm not advocating a wiki at all, I'm simply advocating a place where people can put data in, it possibly gets validated in some way, and also get it in out in various formats for use as they need it. It _could_ provide other things such as guidance on cases, formats, stats etc... but the thing is to make the data available for free to anyone that wants to use it for the betterment of the ufo community as a whole (I could expand on this, but I think my previous posts already cover this).

I wouldn't be against helping you out on your site, I do like your 'No political vulnerability' statement on your site. I wonder roughly how many active members you have for the site, that you could call on to help, or if it would be better served via these forums on the paracast?

Cheers,
Bb

I'm going to offer what sounds like a cop-out and predict that even the best of analysis will reveal nothing of value . The reason for this is something Vallee points out in his writings: The phenomenon denies itself. It has historically operated with what seems to be almost complete control of time and space; and maybe of witnesses as well.

As always, failure is a distinct possibility (Defining success is an important goal for any project). However, Vallee is but one person - a noted person - but still an army of one. If I may drop a line from the character Claude Lacombe from Close encounters of the Third Kind; "It is an event sociological" - we all have our part to play and I think that yes, this may transcend more than one man can see, it may take many eyes to see anything from this , it may even be bigger than that. Vallee still has his own internal filtering of the cases around him, so he could be working to an unintended self-fulfilling prophecy - though one would really hope not. I just think that potentially having that 2nd, 3rd or n number of pairs of eyes to look over the data and check against the conclusions reached is the better way forward. After all, when Vallee publishes a book, that is essentially one of the things the reader is doing anyway - assuming they do not take everything in the book at face value and remain passive to the interaction between author and reader. They question, they validate, they (hopefully) ask questions and explore from the jumping off points provided by the author.

Now I will flip-flop again and say this should not stop us from actively pursuing "the truth" by whatever means we have. All serious efforts to unravel this ancient mystery, such as Lorem's, are worthy of our attention and support. Who knows--perhaps a crack will eventually open up either by virtue of the natural order of things or because the intelligence behind the phenomenon allows it. Or maybe pursuit itself is the point.

I quite agree and all efforts, however conducted should be viewed as a further progression on the road to understanding. Lorem simply bringing this up as a starter has been a good thing.

Bb

Vallee broke ranks knowing full well that he would be known as a heretic amongst heretics. He has not the need to eke out a financial existence by producing, or peddling paperbacks, as he is already in possession of a full time job. He doesn’t seek attention, or the limelight, as he has stated that one should explore wherever the trail should lead, whether popular, or not. Vallee’s access to information from various governments is unequaled in respect to known researchers. He has commanded respect from not only researchers in the field, commonly known as Ufology, as in addition, is well respected by extremely bright individuals in the private sector, to whom shall remain anonymous. Vallee has always, (to my current knowledge), admitted when being incorrect, as he has stated on numerous occasions that the answer does not lie within himself. With all of this said, I would suggest that this is the type of researcher that one should consider the thoughts of. This is not to say that one should dismiss the research of others, however, Vallee’s logic, (at this point in time), and for the most part, may be considered as inescapable.., at least to oneself.

Well, I see Vallee as a unique character in the field. I can't think of another ufologist whose credentials and high standing in prestigious circles outside of ufology come close to Vallee's. He started by being one of the first researchers to get the overall context correct. At a time when everyone was dead certain these things were made of nuts and bolts and powered by unobtanium, he broadened the argument based on history and folklore to ask deeper questions. But if asked whether this is a paranormal or interplanetary phenomenon he still has the courage to say we can't be certain. He's probably the only person who has (or ever will) do a Ted Talk on ufo's, for gosh sakes. I'm OT as usual. And no--I don't think Valle should run for President. :D But I suspect his understanding of available data and ufos is currently unequaled.

I'm not advocating a wiki at all, I'm simply advocating a place where people can put data in ... I wouldn't be against helping you out on your site, I do like your 'No political vulnerability' statement on your site. I wonder roughly how many active members you have for the site, that you could call on to help, or if it would be better served via these forums on the paracast?

NUFORC and MUFON and CUFOS actively collect sighting reports. Of the three, my support would be for CUFOS. They already have an amazing database called UFOCAT that can be ordered on CD. USI has over 2500 members in about 22 countries, but I seldom personally hear from our members, and many have fallen off the map. Once in a while people will express an interest in volunteering, but when they realize how much work is involved they typically bow out, or they go on to pursue something independent ( which is still cool ), but that still leaves me to maintain and upgrade the website on my own. Someday it would be nice to see USI publish a collection of the best cases ( classic, obscure, new whatever ) individually outlined and classified under the Hynek/Vallee and USI Overall Confidence Rating system. The Paracast would also be an excellent place for open discussion prior to selecting and publishing the finished articles.

. He's probably the only person who has (or ever will) do a Ted Talk on ufo's, for gosh sakes.

I should correct my statement. Vallee's talk was not about ufos pe se. But it did sidle broach the subject of the paranormal and how it might be explained by a physics based on information instead of energy. Posted here before but still a fantastic video:

To be clear, I'm not slagging Vallee off, rather I'm saying that this whole thing is bigger than just one man.... and what happens when (unfortunately) that man is no longer with us? I'm just thinking for the long-term... wouldn't it be a massive shame if all that knowledge was lost? Sure it'll live on in books and they'll still be great in terms of taking the reader through a guided tour of the author's thoughts at that point in time, but that journey could be enriched by a wider context and allow for further investigation by anyone.

Dr Vallee only has so much time to devote to anomalous events.. and then only so much time to devote to studying those events which demonstrate a higher level of attention. We can help those that come after us by providing short-cuts and pointers to 'things' that demonstrate a propensity to get a better understanding of certain phenomenon in a shorter time - we pass that hard learned information on - it's just the method is different, it used to be(and still is) books, before that, it was pictures, and before that it was spoken word. These all are still valid methods, I'm just saying that we have the ability now to communicate that information to such a global interest, in a timely manner. There may be other Vallee's out there - I hope there are, and maybe don't even know it yet - and so I think making it easier for someone to stand on the shoulder of other giants will give us a better chance of moving things forward than keeping information locked away.

Bb

Back