• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Reality Shifting - The Mandela Effect

Another Intro To The Mandela Effect

Another example I've experienced that is less dramatic, but maybe others might also have noticed, is that the voices of some cartoon characters seem to have changed. I recall this with the Fred & Barney of the Flintstones and Homer from The Simpsons. I always assumed this was just the actors playing the voice had gone on vacation or something, but I asked my brother about it who was a huge fan of both cartoons, and he said they sounded exactly the same for as long as he remembered. For me they were one way, then a whole bunch of different sounding ones, then back to the originals. Apparently no other voice actor for Homer other than the original has ever been used.

Another one is the Tank Boy from the Tiananmen Square protest who I recall as getting run over, but apparently that never happened either.

Last edited:
Homers voice has definitely changed since the early episodes but I just think it’s down to Homers character becoming more stupid.
In 2015 a Greek pop star Demis Rossous died,he had a few hits in the Uk in the 70’s.My best friend and I both recall him dying several years earlier because we chatted about him and parodied his most famous song “Forever and Ever” pointing out forever for him was shorter than anticipated!.No one else in our circle remembers it this way! My best mate and I are certain this happened!.Who knows?
Always remember Tank boy not getting run over,thought he was arrested!

Another one is the Tank Boy from the Tiananmen Square protest who I recall as getting run over, but apparently that never happened either.

Now this is where things like the Mandela effect take an interesting turn. What I mean is I would back up @Usual Suspect contention 150% in that I also would contend that Batney's ( and maybe Fred's) voice had differd a bit over the years but in the case of Homer if I picked up any difference i would tell myself that said actor was just "finding his place" simply because I've seen/heard many examples of that over the years.

Concerning the Tiananmen (?) square example i would be thinking "well I could understand that sentiment; there was a lot going on" but i have never thought anything happened to that guy other the army picked up later or he disappeared into history" it never "hit me" that he was destroyed.

However i would take my earlier sentiments about the braces wearing cutie :) to the grave.

SHE WORE BRACES IN THE ORIGINAL SHOWING :mad: :)!!! DAMN IT

Now this is where things like the Mandela effect take an interesting turn. What I mean is I would back up @Usual Suspect contention 150% in that I also would contend that Batney's ( and maybe Fred's) voice had differd a bit over the years but in the case of Homer if I picked up any difference i would tell myself that said actor was just "finding his place" simply because I've seen/heard many examples of that over the years.
I suppose that could be an explanation, but I've found no evidence that it was the case. That doesn't mean he didn't intentionally make a whole bunch of episodes with a different voice, and then go back to the original. But the difference was so noticeable that it wasn't simply a nuance. It was significantly different.
Concerning the Tiananmen (?) square example i would be thinking "well I could understand that sentiment; there was a lot going on" but i have never thought anything happened to that guy other the army picked up later or he disappeared into history" it never "hit me" that he was destroyed. However i would take my earlier sentiments about the braces wearing cutie :) to the grave. SHE WORE BRACES IN THE ORIGINAL SHOWING :mad: :)!!! DAMN IT

James Bond was created by Ian Fleming. So the omission of braces in the film version could be deliberate, and you see them anyway, until you actually look, or are directed to look.
A bit like the way a master chess player can see moves ahead.

Sometimes what is not said, is more potent than what is vocalised.

Like in music, silence is part of it.

The whole film we have to go along with the fantasy to enjoy it, otherwise it is just a bunch of actors running around.

I think the power of suggestion is at play here, and the suggestion that she should have braces is so good/powerful that she does/or will, and the fact you can't see them is part of the joke/trick.

Maybe the filmmakers intention was to suggest that she would now: after meeting jaws, get braces? (sort of like matching sweaters couples sometimes wear)

My feeling is that is how I remember it, but it was years ago I last saw it.

Concerning the Tiananmen (?) square example i would be thinking "well I could understand that sentiment; there was a lot going on" but i have never thought anything happened to that guy other the army picked up later or he disappeared into history" it never "hit me" that he was destroyed.

**********************************************************************************************************************

Mandela Effect? I suggested that different people’s perceived reality of the same event is often markedly different so it’s hardly surprising if one person has a memory of the Tiananmen tank guy getting squashed by the tank and someone else of him being unharmed and later arrested. Obviously these two outcomes are irreconcilable and the easiest way of dealing with this story is to say that one person’s memory is false and that the other person’s memory is true.

That true or false binary situation is similar to the fate of Schrödinger’s cat in the closed dark room. Was it alive or was it dead at a specific time? It was impossible to say that, so from a Quantum Mechanics standpoint one had to accept that the wretched cat was in an indeterminate state of being both dead and alive. I believe that modern Information Theory allows this too but many scientists would never accept it and they insisted that the cat must be either dead or alive.

Some folks would say you might not know whether the cat’s dead or alive but God must know (even in the blackness of that room!)– and it simply has to be one thing or the other. Others pointed out however that, since we have abolished God, we are stuck with this Quantum indeterminacy. The more cynical of us would reply that since God has been replaced by Google and/or Wikipedia --in no time at all we can, for instance, always find out if that guy in front of the tank perished or survived.

On second thoughts, the discrepancies we all seem to have regarding the recollection of past events can much more easily be attributed to faulty memory.

(Dunno what happened there but my reply to Wade all became contained in the quote above though it can still be read. Probably some Quantum Mechanical effect from an alternative reality.)

(Dunno what happened there but my reply to Wade all became contained in the quote above though it can still be read. Probably some Quantum Mechanical effect from an alternative reality.)
You can fix it by manually editing the begin and end quotes inside the square brackets. It's easy but takes a little getting used to.

... On second thoughts, the discrepancies we all seem to have regarding the recollection of past events can much more easily be attributed to faulty memory.

Something weirder than that is going on. It's like most UFO sightings have a mundane explanation too, but anyone who's studied the field and seen one for themselves knows it's not that simple to write them all off. I'm new at this Mandela Effect stuff though, so who knows? I've posted about my rather bizarre experience with 2 friends when I was much younger, and a couple of other weird things. IMO there's just no reasonable memory related explanation for those, but the phenomenon doesn't have the same level of evidence as UFOs. Like there's no Project Blue Book equivalent.

I have to wonder what makes us so "wedded" to our belief system that one would easily be open to other explanations in other examples but stridently cling to a certain beliefs in other examples.

Take the previous examples i used. I mentioned that this started because of a mix up involving Richard Kiel and Ted Cassidy, when I learned that I made a mistake i had to find the genesis of my error. The first thing that caught my attention was that I was not alone, many others made the same mistake(?) Why,because they're both big and intimidating ? (Probably) But I am very dubious at being open to any other explanations to the one example with Blanche Ravalec and Richard Kiel (again!!)

The other thing here to wonder about when this whole started here there was no preconceived ideas about any actors identity i could easily understand why I made such a mistake (again?):);) but now a year and a half past the original posting my curiosity has been piqued again. So it's back down the rabbits hole i go.

In a related note I'll mention again a couple of years back i got turned on to a wonderful book and podcasts which in a sense ties into this whole thing called The Hidden Brain, which tries to explain why we believe what we believe.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about this, and it happens with songs too, I have often thought I knew the words to a song only to discover that it didn't say that at all.

I am not alone in this and I just found 54 entries for the song I was thinking of on a website dedicated to such things:

Misheard Lyrics

There are some other great examples but they escape me at the moment.

Ah here is one I just remembered:

Iron shirt and Ironed shirt:

Max Rome Chase the Devil:

'Official' lyrics on google Lyrics:

Lucifer son of the mourning, I'm gonna chase you out of earth!
I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase Satan out of earth
I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth
I'm gonna send him to outa space, to find another race

Satan is an evilous man,
But him can't chocks it on I man
So when I check him my lassing hand
And if him slip, I gaan with him hand

Him haffi drop him fork and run
Him can't stand up to Jah Jah son
Him haffi lef' ya with him gun
Dig off with him bomb

Satan is a evilous man,
But him can't chocks it on I-man

Move ya with your gun
Mi sey fe lef' ya with your bomb

Google Play Music

What I used to hear was :

Lucifer son of the mourning, I'm gonna chase you out of "work"
I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase Satan out of "work"

I imagined an Iron shirt was like armour made of iron, but when I really thought about it: it is a pressed shirt (Ironed =Pressed) and he is describing spreading the gospel. In other words he is sort of saying: I am going to put on my best clothes, and persuade people from the devil's influence.
And not putting on literal metal armour.

There is one lyric that is deffinately wrong in the google interpretation, where it says:

Satan is a evilous man,
But him can't chocks it on I-man

It should say in my opinion:

Satan is a evilous man,
But him can't chucks it on I-man
So when I check him, my lass (Lass = Cutlass/Machete) in hand
And if him slip, a gaan with him hand

or in other words:

Satan is an evilous man, but he can't test me, when I see/find him I will have my weapon ready ("Lass" = Cutlass/Machete) = ((bible/sword)), and if he isn't concentrating I will chop off his hand.

Accent, slang and artistic licence make it hard for you to hear the 'real' words sometimes.
And I have completely got the wrong end of the stick when it comes to songs in languages I don't speak.
And then also there is music without words, which is even more mysterious.

Returning to films, I remember seeing the Ray Harryhausen films as a small child, and when I watched them again more recently they were not half as realistic as I remember. I am sure that this is because of the advancement in CGI has raised my expectations/perceptions.

I have read that in the very early days of cinema, during a screening of a film of an oncoming train, some of the audience leapt out of the way.
Also I don't know how true this is, but apparently sometimes to this day people clap and cheer at the cinema? (I don't mean at the premier or when the cast/crew are there just on an ordinary local showing).
I have never witnessed this, but have heard it second hand.

Something weirder than that is going on. It's like most UFO sightings have a mundane explanation too, but anyone who's studied the field and seen one for themselves knows it's not that simple to write them all off. I'm new at this Mandela Effect stuff though, so who knows? I've posted about my rather bizarre experience with 2 friends when I was much younger, and a couple of other weird things. IMO there's just no reasonable memory related explanation for those, but the phenomenon doesn't have the same level of evidence as UFOs. Like there's no Project Blue Book equivalent.

When I said that much of these Mandela Effect anomalies can be attributed to faulty memory I was thinking of cases like the 1989 tank guy in Tiananmen Square. Either he was crushed by the tank or he wasn’t and if we check that out using Google/Wikipedia it certainly seems that whoever thought he was crushed must be wrong and that was a false memory.

When it comes to one’s memory of different voices, differing lyrics and other differences in the details of some movie star’s appearance, that is not so much faulty memory as the way in which one’s brain processed the input data from which the memory resulted. I don’t know Wade’s book/podcasts called ‘The Hidden Brain’ but that may well be an attempt to understand how the brain processes new input.

@Usual Suspect says: Something weirder than that is going on. It's like most UFO sightings have a mundane explanation too, but anyone who's studied the field and seen one for themselves knows it's not that simple to write them all off.

I’d agree entirely. When presented with some truly anomalous event such as a UFO encounter the brain’ s “computer” very likely fails to comprehend what’s going on, possibly rejecting some of what is being experienced visually. An extraordinary UFO sighting which I had in Washington DC in April 1992 was of a number of unidentified objects flying silently near the Washington Monument in broad daylight.

I was with two companions and all three of us saw these UFOs at an uncertain height in the sky. They were certainly not anything of a conventional nature such as aircraft, birds, balloons, or any known astronomical objects. It was impossible too to know whether these were physical objects or else lights or images in the sky. Although we all saw these UFOs it became clear we did not necessarily see exactly the same thing. My two friends called out that a further object had appeared that was brighter than the first object but despite their pointing to it I was quite unable to see what they saw. I just saw empty sky.

Somewhere on an old computer in England I have a full account of this strange UFO sighting. There is no reason to think the UFOs were alien spaceships or anything like that but I still have no clue as to what they really were. If one was a little bit paranoid one could have thought, since this was in DC and I had very recently met some of the “Men who Stare at Goats”, that some secret arm of US military intelligence might have been testing an electronic device capable of inducing UFO hallucinations. But I just can bring myself to think that was the explanation.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

I have to wonder what makes us so "wedded" to our belief system that one would easily be open to other explanations in other examples but stridently cling to a certain beliefs in other examples ...
Basically, it's because not all cases are the same. Faulty memory only goes so far in terms of reasonableness as an explanation. For example if Lerina Garcia Gordo's story is true, then there's no reasonable way to assert that it's simply a case of dismembering a detail or two.

I have been thinking about this, and it happens with songs too, I have often thought I knew the words to a song only to discover that it didn't say that at all ...
Yes, I distinctly remember Hendrix in Purple Haze saying, "'scuse me while I kiss the sky." but apparently it now sounds more like 'scuse me, while I kiss this guy." ...lol

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy ...

There is also another element to the songs/music one, and that is original artists/writers.
For example you reminded me of 'all along the watchtower' by Bob Dylan, but redone by Jimi Hendrix. I first heard the Hendrix version and though it was his, but later found out it wasn't.
They are the same but also different :oops: LOL (don't know how else to say it) if you know what I mean.
What I am trying to say is that the basic idea is the same, it has just been developed in a new way.

Language, especially with my limited skills, makes it very difficult to describe certain aspects of our experience.
But it is clear to me that we all 'see' things in a different way.

I said earlier:

That true or false binary situation is very similar to the fate of Schrödinger’s cat in the closed dark room. Was it alive or was it dead at a specific time? It was impossible to say that, so from a Quantum Mechanics standpoint one had to accept that the wretched cat was in an indeterminate state of being both dead and alive. I believe that modern Information Theory allows this too but many scientists would never accept it and they insisted that the cat was either dead or alive.

Some folks would say you might not know whether the cat’s dead or alive but God must know (even in the blackness of that room)– and it simply has to be one thing or the other! Others pointed out however that, since we have abolished God, we are stuck with this Quantum indeterminacy. The more cynical of us would reply that since God has been replaced by Google and/or Wikipedia --in an instant we can always find out if that guy in front of that tank perished or survived.

*********************************************************************************************

Forgive me quoting myself here, but I was really wanting to see whether Quantum Theory might explain some of these strange –seemingly paranormal-- discrepancies that become apparent when discussing episodes like Chad’s vanishing debit card or Schrödinger’s cat. Not so sure though that the Mandela Effect or Jimi Hendrix either kissing this guy (or otherwise) quite fall into this category.

Quantum physics is principally about things being in an indeterminate state at a particular moment. They might be considered to both be in State A or in State B. Or, maybe it’s something that is considered to be in position A or position B. It allows that indeterminacy is possible --whereas most folk (scientists included) insist that the truth of the matter must be either A or B. Common sense demands that the truth must be either A or B since the two states (or positions) are mutually exclusive.

The best known case of this quantum indeterminacy is found in the observation of the behavior of electrons. They certainly act as if they were particles but they also act as if they were electromagnetic waves. What is the truth of the matter? Quantum physicists say that both states are true for electrons or else that they must exist in an indeterminate state.

To see where scientists are going with this let me quote what Vlatko Vedral wrote in 2011. Together with the scientific mysteries of Dark Energy and Dark Matter one can probably say with confidence that the physical universe “out there” is beginning to look more and more like the world of Alice in Wonderland!

image.jpeg

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Back