• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Reality Shifting - The Mandela Effect

Randall

J. Randall Murphy
Welcome to the weird world of reality shifting, also called The Mandela Effect. This thread is intended to be a collection of experiences, thoughts, videos, whatever interests you about the subject. What is reality shifting? There are some different viewpoints on what the cause is, including a fair dose of New Age Quantum Woo. As usual the skeptics attribute it to hoaxes, the frail human mind, or psychological disorders.

Whatever the cause, there are people who believe that because they have experienced some odd discrepancies between how they remember their world and what seems to be the reality of the world they're in at the moment, that reality has shifted in some way, not merely in a subjective way, but in an objective way. In other words it's not they who seem different, but the world around them. Usually this manifests in certain small but inexplicable ways that are often taken for granted, but in some cases people believe they have been transplanted from one universe to another. I've had one such experience when I was much younger.

In other cases they believe things in their present world have shifted in some way rather than it being they who have been transplanted someplace else. Recently a couple of other forum members have posted their experiences. I recently ran across a few more examples on the Internet. What is going on? Let's have a look at the theories, and experiences people have had ( including your own ) to see if a fair minded consideration of possibilities might offer some explanation.

To begin this segment I'll post a narrative about a Spanish woman who claims to have been transplanted from another universe. Her name is Lerina Garcia Gordo . She published her story in 2008 in Spanish. An English translation is here: Lerina Garcia Gordo: The Woman From A Parallel Universe | Ghost Theory | Paranormal, Ghosts, Cryptids and more.

Case #001 - Lerina Garcia Gordo

Last edited:
Very nice subject and fyi has a pretty active reddit forum. I had a interesting experience i was writing about before things went a little south for me involving the famous one from the James Bond movie moonraker Double Dip Richard Kiel/Mandela Effect
Yes I remember that. Anyone else who has posted something similar please post a link to it here too. In the meantime here's a couple of weird things that have happened to me lately.

Mysterious Computer Behavior

Mysterious computer behavior is nothing new right? For us techies the most common cause is the infamous PEBKAC situation. So to preface, I have helped people figure these things out for a living, and I know my system. I built it from the ground up with parts from the computer suppler here. I was awake and aware of what I was doing through the whole thing ( presumably ). So explain this one. It happened as I created the first post above.

I hit the "create thread button" to create this thread and the forum froze. I thought, "No don't freeze now or I'll have to rewrite the whole thing ... Arrgh!" So I tried to do a Ctrl+A > Ctrl+C to copy the content so that I wouldn't lose it if I had to close the browser. But it had no effect. I couldn't get anything to highlight or copy and I couldn't get Notepad to open even if I had managed to copy the content. I was left to the mercy of the system.

Then I got a pop-up saying to stop a long running script. I was able to hit that. I tried closing other programs, but whatever it was had spread to the rest of the system. Nothing was responding but the mouse. I was just about to reboot when the forum suddenly responded and posted this thread along with the content, and the system returned to normal.

I assumed the command to stop the script had taken effect freeing enough memory to accept new commands, so I began closing all my open programs so I could do a shut down and clean start. Okay so far none of this is weird right? Well guess what. While closing down the open Notepad instances, one of them contained the complete content of the post I had tried to copy ( but couldn't ).

I have no way to explain this. I clearly remember all the steps, and I didn't make a copy because I couldn't make a copy. I tried more than once. Maybe I was hacked. Or maybe I went into some sort of fugue state where I hallucinated my system wasn't responding while another part of me took control in objective reality, opened Notepad, copied the post, and pasted it into Notepad? If that's the case I really must need help. Here's another example from not too long ago:

The Empty Teacup

This happened about a month or so ago. I decided to make a cup of tea. I like it with a lot of milk, a dash of cardamom, vanilla, and maple syrup. That means I fill a cup half full of milk, add the ingredients, and heat it in the microwave while I boil the water. Then I add the water, stir and remove the teabag. This is important because it means preparation takes a few minutes and you have to pay attention to what you're doing. It's not like offhandedly throwing a teabag in a cup of hotwater and you're done. There are steps and waiting and anticipation.

So I get it done and go up to my office with my fabulous cup of chai and sit down at my computer. I set the tea aside to cool a little and get into checking my email. A couple of minutes later I decide to have a sip of my tea. But when I go to reach for it, it isn't there. I'm thinking to myself that I know it was there, but already somewhat desensitized to strange but inconsequential stuff going on around the house, I pay no mind to it and figure I must have just left it downstairs. So I go downstairs to get it, and sure enough there it is.

The only problem is that the cup was completely empty like I'd never made the tea in the first place. Thinking that cup can't be the right one, I look for the only other cup I have that's the same, and it was in the dishwasher clean. The kettle wasn't hot either. So what happened? Did I hallucinate the whole tea making procedure? Or did I actually make the tea and drink it, then take the cup downstairs and clean it, then go back to my office and not remember doing any of that? I dunno. Someone get me a shrink :eek: or a drink :D .

Last edited:
My wife worked with a woman who truly believed she woke up to the news that North Korea attacked the south because the USA abandoned the south. She recalled a UN meeting on the war...She told my wife it was like a dream.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

BTW: I'm one of those who thought Mandela died in jail. When he got out I thought he had to be an impostor playing a part in some political theatrics. I was wondering why nobody was questioning it. There have been a couple of celebrities as well. David Crosby was one. Then I saw he wrote a book and was still doing shows. Coincidentally the book was called Long Time Gone. These I've just written off as misinformation in the news. Now I wish I could remember details about the world before my experience in the 1970s, but I was so much younger, living in a small town, and didn't have much experience or knowledge about the world.

Okay @Gene Steinberg, now you've got me thinking outside the box a bit on UFOs. I still think interstellar is the most reasonable, but what if this Mandela Effect has something to do with them? If it's happening here to people on Earth, why couldn't it happen elsewhere? Or for that matter on a parallel Earth in another universe? In which case maybe it's happening to them too. We assume they're the ones in control with the high technology. But maybe whoever ( or whatever ) they are, are just going along and minding their own business when poof! They find themselves flying over some remote zone in northern Wisconsin? Then poof? they're gone again and they wonder themselves, "What the Hell just happened? Where the Hell were we just then? It didn't even look like our planet!"

Maybe it's not an original idea, but I haven't heard anyone else pose that as theory yet. Have you? Has anyone else who reads this ever heard of this theory? What would we call it? The MEH ... lol ... I dunno. That sounds very meh. Maybe the RSH ( Reality Shift Hypothesis ) ?

Last edited:
Reality shifting? There've been TV shows about it. The UK's "Primeval," a SyFy alternative of "Flash Gordon" from 2007, and the multiple Earths on TheCW's super hero programs.

Reality shifting? There've been TV shows about it. The UK's "Primeval," a SyFy alternative of "Flash Gordon" from 2007, and the multiple Earths on TheCW's super hero programs.
Yes I've heard of reality Shifting and the Mandela Effect. They used to refer to it as Dimensional Portals in similar stories. But I've never heard anyone put this particular twist on it where it's happening to the aliens and they're just as mystified about their experience of being here as we are about them suddenly appearing here. It was actually @marduk who rekindled my musings about how the aliens may not be as advanced and powerful as we tend to assume they are. If they're not actually controlling the effect themselves, it might explain a few things. Circumstantially anyway.

Last edited:
Yes I remember that. Anyone else who has posted something similar please post a link to it here too. In the meantime here's a couple of weird things that have happened to me lately.

Mysterious Computer Behavior

Mysterious computer behavior is nothing new right? For us techies the most common cause is the infamous PEBKAC situation. So to preface, I have helped people figure these things out for a living, and I know my system. I built it from the ground up with parts from the computer suppler here. I was awake and aware of what I was doing through the whole thing ( presumably ). So explain this one. It happened as I created the first post above.

I hit the "create thread button" to create this thread and the forum froze. I thought, "No don't freeze now or I'll have to rewrite the whole thing ... Arrgh!" So I tried to do a Ctrl+A > Ctrl+C to copy the content so that I wouldn't lose it if I had to close the browser. But it had no effect. I couldn't get anything to highlight or copy and I couldn't get Notepad to open even if I had managed to copy the content. I was left to the mercy of the system.

Then I got a pop-up saying to stop a long running script. I was able to hit that. I tried closing other programs, but whatever it was had spread to the rest of the system. Nothing was responding but the mouse. I was just about to reboot when the forum suddenly responded and posted this thread along with the content, and the system returned to normal.

I assumed the command to stop the script had taken effect freeing enough memory to accept new commands, so I began closing all my open programs so I could do a shut down and clean start. Okay so far none of this is weird right? Well guess what. While closing down the open Notepad instances, one of them contained the complete content of the post I had tried to copy ( but couldn't ).

I have no way to explain this. I clearly remember all the steps, and I didn't make a copy because I couldn't make a copy. I tried more than once. Maybe I was hacked. Or maybe I went into some sort of fugue state where I hallucinated my system wasn't responding while another part of me took control in objective reality, opened Notepad, copied the post, and pasted it into Notepad? If that's the case I really must need help. Here's another example from not too long ago:

The Empty Teacup

This happened about a month or so ago. I decided to make a cup of tea. I like it with a lot of milk, a dash of cardamom, vanilla, and maple syrup. That means I fill a cup half full of milk, add the ingredients, and heat it in the microwave while I boil the water. Then I add the water, stir and remove the teabag. This is important because it means preparation takes a few minutes and you have to pay attention to what you're doing. It's not like offhandedly throwing a teabag in a cup of hotwater and you're done. There are steps and waiting and anticipation.

So I get it done and go up to my office with my fabulous cup of chai and sit down at my computer. I set the tea aside to cool a little and get into checking my email. A couple of minutes later I decide to have a sip of my tea. But when I go to reach for it, it isn't there. I'm thinking to myself that I know it was there, but already somewhat desensitized to strange but inconsequential stuff going on around the house, I pay no mind to it and figure I must have just left it downstairs. So I go downstairs to get it, and sure enough there it is.

The only problem is that the cup was completely empty like I'd never made the tea in the first place. Thinking that cup can't be the right one, I look for the only other cup I have that's the same, and it was in the dishwasher clean. The kettle wasn't hot either. So what happened? Did I hallucinate the whole tea making procedure? Or did I actually make the tea and drink it, then take the cup downstairs and clean it, then go back to my office and not remember doing any of that? I dunno. Someone get me a shrink :eek: or a drink :D .

How many time have you gone through the tea making procedure? a lot I reckon, so much so that you could probably do it on 'autopilot' as in when thinking about something else.
I reckon what happened here was the inverse, in your mind you made the tea but your body was still typing or whatever at the computer. I have done almost the same thing with both coffee and hand rolled cigarettes.

As for weird computer behaviour yes had that too.

I remember in the eighties it was just like now, people used to spread false rumours that famous people had died for a laugh, if you want a coincidence I had just recently found out what REM's song man on the moon was about (a Comic called Andy Kaufman who faked his own death, but then really died)*. I think I remember the Madela story but also about almost everyone else famous too, and also the reverse like Elvis being spotted was a big thing too.

P.S if you send me a pm I will tell you about some weird coincidences that I have noticed recently.

*Memoir in a Melody: R.E.M.'s Ode to Andy Kaufman in 'Man On the Moon'

lyrics: Google Play Music

How many time have you gone through the tea making procedure? a lot I reckon, so much so that you could probably do it on 'autopilot' as in when thinking about something else.
I reckon what happened here was the inverse, in your mind you made the tea but your body was still typing or whatever at the computer. I have done almost the same thing with both coffee and hand rolled cigarettes.
I appreciate what you're saying, but it wasn't like that. I actually was typing at my computer, and distinctly remember going through the tea making process and carrying it upstairs to my office. I don't know how to explain it.

For the sake of keeping it all on this thread I also had a situation where I had stashed a black vinyl zipper bag about the size of an envelope in my car because it contained my lottery tickets and some cash and I didn't want to carry it around with me. When I got home I went to retrieve it and it was gone. I took everything out of the car and vacummed it and got a flashlight and looked in all the cracks and cubby holes several times over several days. I put a reward out for its return and got no responses. Finally I accepted it was gone. Some months later I go to put something in the car and there it is, just sitting there plain as day exactly where I thought I'd left it and had looked at least a dozen times. Everything intact.

As for weird computer behaviour yes had that too.

I remember in the eighties it was just like now, people used to spread false rumours that famous people had died for a laugh, if you want a coincidence I had just recently found out what REM's song man on the moon was about (a Comic called Andy Kaufman who faked his own death, but then really died)*. I think I remember the Madela story but also about almost everyone else famous too, and also the reverse like Elvis being spotted was a big thing too.

P.S if you send me a pm I will tell you about some weird coincidences that I have noticed recently.

Just start a conversation any time you want to share something away from the main forum.

In the meantime, just for the record the latest thing to go missing here is a gift bag with the Christmas gifts my most recent lady friend had given me. It was in my living room and now it's nowhere to be found. I've been seriously thinking of getting a surveillance camera. It's getting that bad. I've been joking with myself that somebody is pulling a Bennewitz operation on me.

Last edited:
Didn't watch the video. The first image is blatantly photoshopped. The girl in shorts in foreground is a colour picture that has been 'grey scaled' (made black and white) imo.
There are actually some interesting accounts there. The images are just for illustration while a narrator tells the stories. Don't worry about them being Photo Shopped.

sorry Randall can't start a conversation/pm that option is missing for me
I started one. Just in case you're looking in the wrong place: To start a conversation hit the avatar of the person you want to start a conversation with. It's not in the user menu at the top of the page. A box will open up and an option to start a conversation should be in the menu there.

The Empty Teacup

In an article in Scientific American of June 2011 scientist Vlatko Vedral boldly suggested that quantum mechanics applies to things of all sizes --birds, plants and maybe even people. If that is right and we are to understand how quantum entanglement works in the "real world", I believe that we need to think of thought experiments that get beyond Schrodinger's wretched cat and its grisly (or otherwise) fate. Perhaps we could even look at some seemingly inexplicable small scale events that can be described, albeit counter-intuitively, in Vedral’s terms of quantum indeterminacy.

Let me offer this as a possible thought experiment although it is in fact a true story. My friend Chad on a trip to Europe with his wife needed to get cash from an ATM outside a bank in Rothenburg, Germany. He put his debit card in the ATM and pressed appropriate buttons to withdraw however many euros. The machine made an unusual sound and failed to deliver any money. Naturally he thought the ATM had swallowed his card and that meant they needed to get to the bank early the next day and ask bank staff to retrieve the missing card. He feared that they would be unable to do this and catch their early flight home to Canada. Both Chad and his wife remembered details of what had happened at the ATM distinctly.

When he was about to leave for the bank at an early hour next day he put his hand in his back pocket and there was the missing debit card. This seemed most extraordinary --if not downright spooky. Of course there are possible conventional explanations, namely (1) that he was lying (2) that the memory of the previous night was a false one or (3) that he put a different card in the ATM. However I’m satisfied that none of these was the case.

If we were to consider what happened as a case of quantum indeterminacy it could be simply stated that the debit card was both inside the ATM (state A), and also in his back pocket (state B). From a quantum standpoint such a situation may be entirely valid. The fact that he strongly believed it was inside the machine was irrelevant. The two possible quantum states, A and B, were only resolved --or the outcome "collapsed"-- when he found the debit card in his back pocket the next morning.

Shrink or drink, Usual Suspect ? You don't need that! Just accept that our "real world" out there is not quite how we thought it was but is governed by the rules of quantum indeterminacy and by quantum entanglement.

... A Shrink or a drink, Usual Suspect ? You don't need that! Just accept that our "real world" out there is not quite how we thought it was but is governed by the rules of quantum indeterminacy and by quantum entanglement.
lol. Thanks for making that post! BTW I was mostly referencing the need for either psychological help or a drink in jest. I'm sure strange stuff happens and that I'm also quite sane. I'm not sure if quantum indeterminacy or entanglement is the explanation. Maybe on some level. But I'm finding these stories increasingly fascinating. If they're going on with the frequency we might suspect, it must be happing right now someplace to someone. Exactly what kind of universe are we living in if that's the case?

But then other stuff like fossils sit for millions of years hardly changing at all. You'd think that if this were all taking place with such regularity there would be some kind of trace evidence in the archaeological or fossil records that would provide evidence. Yes we have OOPARTs, but none of them have stood-up to serious skeptical analysis that I know of. So why don't we have more evidence in the way of inconsistencies in the historical timeline that can be traced?

Usual Suspect said: lol. Thanks for making that post! BTW I was mostly referencing the need for either psychological help or a drink in jest. I'm sure strange stuff happens and that I'm also quite sane. I'm not sure if quantum indeterminacy or entanglement is the explanation. Maybe on some level. But I'm finding these stories increasingly fascinating. If they're going on with the frequency we might suspect by extrapolation, it must be happing right now someplace to someone. Exactly what kind of universe are we living in if that's the case?

***********************************************************************************************

Glad you liked the story of Chad’s vanishing debit card. Like you, he’s from Canada (Vancouver Island) so you know it must be true! (Or alternatively, maybe these things mainly happen to Canadians?) Forget the shrink and pour yourself a large glass of Scotch and the truth will slowly come to you in a gedankenexperiment. At least that’s how Einstein did it as regards Relativity which he realized, however counter-intuitive, had to be the way things were in the “real world” of physics.

So, if we are talking about Reality Shifting, the first thing that must be done is to think very carefully about what we mean by reality. I suggest that for the moment we forget UFO realities, alternative realities, virtual realities, dream realities, etc. All of us are agreed (I think) that there is a real physical world out there which is independent of us and generally behaves in a predictable manner since it is subject to the supposedly invariable laws of physics. Let us call this physical reality R. We have to work on the assumption that R is basically the same for everyone –or at least that part of R which is immediately accessible to us through our 5 (or 6?) human senses.

This is an assumption, but one which we all have to make or life in this world would soon become impossible. But for the laws of physics there would be utter chaos and even moving or walking would become dangerous and unpredictable. One then has to ask what it is possible to know of this external physical world with any certainty.

The answer is that for each one of us there is a corresponding reality, let’s call it Rp , which is our perception of the external physical world. This reality is that received in our brains via our senses and perceived in the mind as a construct representing that external world. It is often confused with reality R but it is far from identical to it. For a start Rp is undoubtedly incomplete since our perception is limited and our senses are less than perfect. In addition Rp for one person is often significantly different from Rp for the next person. That’s not just when observing paranormal things such as UFOs or ghosts but sometimes too when observing everyday events. And of course our perception of that external world can equally be altered by our state of consciousness, by hallucinations, by drugs, by hypnotism, and by a variety of other factors.

To some extent our perceived reality is often quite a bit different from that of the next person. That possibly brings us back to something like Einstein’s Relativity and our differing perceptions of the same thing. I’m not sure this proves anything apart from the mathematical inequality R ≠ Rp . However it does provide food for thought on the subject of reality shifting and the Mandela Effect.

At this point I think I must go and pour another glass of whisky or I may very well lose my tenuous grip on reality. Not sure though whether it will produce any answers.

Usual Suspect said: lol. Thanks for making that post! BTW I was mostly referencing the need for either psychological help or a drink in jest. I'm sure strange stuff happens and that I'm also quite sane. I'm not sure if quantum indeterminacy or entanglement is the explanation. Maybe on some level. But I'm finding these stories increasingly fascinating. If they're going on with the frequency we might suspect by extrapolation, it must be happing right now someplace to someone. Exactly what kind of universe are we living in if that's the case?

***********************************************************************************************

Glad you liked the story of Chad’s vanishing debit card. Like you, he’s from Canada (Vancouver Island) so you know it must be true! (Or alternatively, maybe these things mainly happen to Canadians?) Forget the shrink and pour yourself a large glass of Scotch and the truth will slowly come to you in a gedankenexperiment. At least that’s how Einstein did it as regards Relativity which he realized, however counter-intuitive, had to be the way things were in the “real world” of physics.

So, if we are talking about Reality Shifting, the first thing that must be done is to think very carefully about what we mean by reality. I suggest that for the moment we forget UFO realities, alternative realities, virtual realities, dream realities, etc. All of us are agreed (I think) that there is a real physical world out there which is independent of us and generally behaves in a predictable manner since it is subject to the supposedly invariable laws of physics. Let us call this physical reality R. We have to work on the assumption that R is basically the same for everyone –or at least that part of R which is immediately accessible to us through our 5 (or 6?) human senses.

This is an assumption, but one which we all have to make or life in this world would soon become impossible. But for the laws of physics there would be utter chaos and even moving or walking would become dangerous and unpredictable. One then has to ask what it is possible to know of this external physical world with any certainty.

The answer is that for each one of us there is a corresponding reality, let’s call it Rp , which is our perception of the external physical world. This reality is that received in our brains via our senses and perceived in the mind as a construct representing that external world. It is often confused with reality R but it is far from identical to it. For a start Rp is undoubtedly incomplete since our perception is limited and our senses are less than perfect. In addition Rp for one person is often significantly different from Rp for the next person. That’s not just when observing paranormal things such as UFOs or ghosts but sometimes too when observing everyday events. And of course our perception of that external world can equally be altered by our state of consciousness, by hallucinations, by drugs, by hypnotism, and by a variety of other factors.

To some extent our perceived reality is often quite a bit different from that of the next person. That possibly brings us back to something like Einstein’s Relativity and our differing perceptions of the same thing. I’m not sure this proves anything apart from the mathematical inequality R ≠ Rp . However it does provide food for thought on the subject of reality shifting and the Mandela Effect.

At this point I think I must go and pour another glass of whisky or I may very well lose my tenuous grip on reality. Not sure though whether it will produce any answers.

Nice post. We're on the same wavelength. I refer to the two contexts of reality you've described as objective reality and subjective reality. I suppose we could write it all off to subjective reality, in which case it's time to pour that drink, or we can be open to the idea that this stuff happens out there in the real world ( objective reality ).

Personally I think a lot of strangeness exists in both contexts, and that both are interesting. But being a truth seeker, it's the big reality out there that I'm most interested in. If this stuff is real then it can happen independently of our subjective experience. So it can affect anyone. But then again, maybe it's just an elaborate alien experiment. Who knows?

Back