• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Real virtual humans?

Mogwa

Skilled Investigator
This is a clip of Emily, a rigged 3D model created by Image Metrics using an entirely new method that far surpasses conventional motion capture in realism. Remember, this is a first gen finished product, and spooky as it is, it will almost certainly improve drastically over the next few years. Combine this technique with ongoing advancements in holographic imaging, and the future may take a few turns no one has yet fully anticipated....except for the sci-fi writers.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bLiX5d3rC6o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Great yea, I for one look forward - forward to the day when mocap actors can have a type of system where the cgi environment is rendered out maybe in a 3d hologramatic form so the actors can get a sense of the environment they are in. Better acting better films.

This is a clip of Emily, a rigged 3D model created by Image Metrics using an entirely new method that far surpasses conventional motion capture in realism. Remember, this is a first gen finished product, and spooky as it is, it will almost certainly improve drastically over the next few years.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. It's just her face man. It's not like she's a whole 3D model, they're just capturing face data. Now, face animation IS a sunuvabitch and an application like this will drastically improve film and videogame depictions (no more rubber people, I'm looking at YOU Matrix Reloaded!) but it's hardly the gateway to brave new worlds your suggesting, it's just really accurate mo-cap.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. It's just her face man. It's not like she's a whole 3D model, they're just capturing face data. Now, face animation IS a sunuvabitch and an application like this will drastically improve film and videogame depictions (no more rubber people, I'm looking at YOU Matrix Reloaded!) but it's hardly the gateway to brave new worlds your suggesting, it's just really accurate mo-cap.

Nope, it's not just a more accurate motion capture for facial expressions, it's full body kinetics, and technically far superior to BVH and other similar formats. I suggest a visit to Image Metrics to read up on some of the technical data.
( Biological model morphing/dynamics software has been around for years. There are even some commercial programs available to the general public, such as Mimic, but this new suite is revolutionary in its faithfulness to detail and range. Now let's see some buck nekkid hoochy koochy demos. It's the right thing to do.)

Regardless. I want to do her.

Even with the specular on?

specoi4.jpg

:D;)

Nice post. I saw some of their earlier research stuff a while ago which looked really promising. Now I see it's coming along very nicely and will revolutionize game and movie effects.

I did notice that the lighting match was a bit off at the edges of the face but match this with the latest 3D scanning and lighting techniques and you'd a damn good shot.

Well, I was impressed. The compressed nature of that video makes it hard to see the edge integration of the face animation, but it looks mighty cool! Thanks for posting this, Mogwa. Great stuff.

dB

I for one, welcome our CGI overlords.

Only a matter of time before we don't have to worry about useless labor unions threatening an actors strike or set carpenter's strike or whatnot. That will be the day.

Then the government will lobby to allow "undocumented CGI citizens" to vote, of course, giving them amnesty citizenship because they are already in the country, doing jobs that no one else will do.

Back