• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ray Palmer Interviewed by Gene Steinberg (Photo)

wwkirk

Paranormal Adept
Posted on Facebook by Rick Hilberg:
86969650_3032059323493460_5261996504297504768_n.jpg

"Raymond A. Palmer sitting in his living room in Amherst, Wisconsin during an interview session with Gene Steinberg in 1965 when he, myself, Allen Greenfield and Jim Moseley traveled up from a meeting in Chicago to see and interview him.

Palmer ( known as Rap to his readers early on ) started out editing and writing for early science fiction "fanzines" in the 1930s. Often mimeographed and rather crude by publishing standards, this led Rap to eventually edit the hugely successful newsstand pulp zines Amazing Stories and Fantastic Universe during the 1940s. It was in the pages of Amazing Stories during the early years of World War II that Palmer first introduced the world to the writings of one Richard Shaver of "Shaver Mystery" fame.

Eventually Palmer would branch out and embrace ( as well as promote to the hilt ) the early "flying saucer" mystery after 1947, and he would eventually be the co-founder of the iconic FATE magazine in 1948.

In subsequent years Palmer would strike out on his own and publish a string of science fiction, fortean, UFO and paranormal newsstand magazines as well as publish dozens of paranormal books."

Posted on Facebook by Rick Hilberg:
86969650_3032059323493460_5261996504297504768_n.jpg

"Raymond A. Palmer sitting in his living room in Amherst, Wisconsin during an interview session with Gene Steinberg in 1965 when he, myself, Allen Greenfield and Jim Moseley traveled up from a meeting in Chicago to see and interview him.

Palmer ( known as Rap to his readers early on ) started out editing and writing for early science fiction "fanzines" in the 1930s. Often mimeographed and rather crude by publishing standards, this led Rap to eventually edit the hugely successful newsstand pulp zines Amazing Stories and Fantastic Universe during the 1940s. It was in the pages of Amazing Stories during the early years of World War II that Palmer first introduced the world to the writings of one Richard Shaver of "Shaver Mystery" fame.

Eventually Palmer would branch out and embrace ( as well as promote to the hilt ) the early "flying saucer" mystery after 1947, and he would eventually be the co-founder of the iconic FATE magazine in 1948.

In subsequent years Palmer would strike out on his own and publish a string of science fiction, fortean, UFO and paranormal newsstand magazines as well as publish dozens of paranormal books."
I remember it well, especially the "fun" Jim had finding Palmer's home in Amherst, WI. Finally, he stopped at a service station there for directions, asking if they knew where Ray Palmer lived, not thinking he'd get an answer.

But the service station attendant did know who Palmer was, and we arrived at our destination a few minutes later.

And if you're wondering what happened to the tape of that interview — well, many decades and many moves later, it is gone. :(

But I ran the text in one of the early editions of Caveat Emptor magazine.

You want me to do all the work for you. :)

Look at the first couple of issues, especially Richard Shaver's response to the Palmer interview.

Back