• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ray B. Palmer Interview

jpw.in.wi

Still Seeking Samantha
I'm about halfway through the show, and LOVING it! These kinds of "how-did-we-get-to-where-we-are-today" discussions are compelling only when you've got someone like Mr. Palmer who was there as a witness when it all got started as well as throughout the course of its development. Having Mr. Palmer, you, and Mr. Beckley sharing the microphone for this program was absolutely perfect casting!

The people Mr. Palmer met, the information and stories he was surrounded by, the candid and personal conversations he must've had with his father, not to mention actually working along side him for so many years, all just a regular part of his life as he grew up ... just INCREDIBLE! A true treasure!

Thank you so much, Gene, for bringing Mr. Palmer onto the Paracast! I sincerely hope he will come back again to spend more time with your audience.

RB Palmer mentioned that Shaver's daughter painted in a style very similar to her father. Does anyone know her name, or know of any online images of her paintings?

I cringed to hear of Shaver's water-destroyed paintings.

By the way, does anyone know the address of Shaver's former Barto, Pennsylvania home?

Are there professional writers out there who could be referred to Mr. Palmer to help him write the definitive biography of his father? And I can't believe the village fathers of Amherst, Wisconsin didn't set the wheels into motion decades ago for the construction of a Ray A. Palmer memorial museum that could tell the history of the development of American science-fiction, as well as the whole notion of the "flying saucer" in popular culture, through the archives of the irreplaceable artifacts that Ray B. Palmer (and a handful of others) now hold. I have to believe that such a museum would attract a significant number of tourists to tiny little Amherst that would be a win-win for everyone involved.

Let's not forget Tim "Mr. UFO" Beckley ...
... Supreme Commander of UFOIL ...
evil-empire-ets-ultra-terrestrials-conspiracy-reader-presents-timothy-green-beckley-paperback-cover-art.jpg

... battling the forces of the
EVIL EMPIRE OF THE ETS AND
THE ULTRA-TERRESTRIALS !

If/when Ray B. comes back on the Paracast, I'd love to hear more about the rock-hunting expeditions with Shaver. Did he have favorite spots to go hunting in? Were there certain features in the land that were a draw for Shaver? Did he zero in on certain types/sizes of rock? I think Ray B. said that there were a couple of occasions when he seemed to see something 3-D in one of the rocks, but then he lost the image and couldn't repeat it. Could he describe the image? Did Shaver ever tell him about his experiences? Was there anything he said/did that was out of synch with the common knowledge about Shaver?

And of course, it would be fascinating to hear more about his day-to-day work and relationship with his father. Did people in the community seem to know about his status in the paranormal/pulp arena, or did they pretty much just treat them like any ordinary local?

Just scratching the surface. Darn!!!

I remember when Jim Moseley and the rest of us arrived in Amherst, we stopped at the first (possibly the only) service station and asked about Palmer's home. They knew right where it was, and their directions were right on. Today, Amherst has a population of about 1,000, as you probably know. In 1965? A few hundred?

The population sounds about right. It has changed quite a bit even since I was a kid. Wish I could travel back in time to see what things were like there, but through my 42 year old eyes. Thanks again for the program, Gene.

I'm well behind on my Paracasts and trying to catch up, so I just heard this one yesterday. I must say, I didn't see anything like this guest coming, but it was a great show. I'm a big fan of history, so it was really fascinating hearing the personal accounts. But anyway, nice one!

Warning- hope this is not against forum rules but if it is and I get feedback, I can post this bit of interest elsewhere- it is about Oahspe/Shalem Colony experience.....

I need to go to the more recent Paracast episodes because I know in a recent one Oahspe was mentioned. It was cool to hear stuff about Oahspe that I hadn't previously known but for other reasons I get so spastic when it is, here's why: I grew up ON part of the old Shalem Colony, in the Valley with a Bend in the River, which is what John Newbrough was looking for- and found- in the Rio Grande Valley north of <3 Las Cruces NM. <3

No, sadly the part I grew up on was NOT the part with the NOW ONLY ONE structure from the Colony. That one is about a mile away. The man who owns that property is very into the whole private property rights and would never turn it over for historic preservation so they have all foundered, one by one. I seem to recall a larger barn structure that was there, which our school bus would pass on my way to school. This was the 70s. Shalem Colony Trail is a twisty turny road which has its northernmost end at the Colony.
One night in winter when I was about a junior in high school 3 of my best girlfriends and I were driving on it (well, I was driving, they were with me). We suddenly saw red flashing lights. I thought at first it was a laser leveler as there are farms everywhere. But there were no tractors around. No other people or cars around. I stopped the car, mystified at these blinking traveling lights. I would NOW call them orbs but didn't have a word for them back then. I had the radio on and it suddenly became staticky. Of course, being teenage girls, we all promptly screamed. I hit the gas and I drove out of there as fast as my could. Thereafter, my flamboyant best friend, who'd been in the car with us, went out red dot hunting. Sadly (maybe?) she never saw any more orbs. When we saw the red dots/ orbs/ whaterver, we didn't really check the time to see if we'd lost or gained any. Like I said, we were teenage girls and honestly had 'more important' things on our mind.
I have wondered if the imaginary friends with made up names were spirits of the orphan train kids, but I never had any definitive experiences that the spirits of the Faithists were around. But I suppose that may be the point, after listening to this particular podcast- if they were enlightened they would not have stuck around there. A lot of my friends who were supposedly sensitive would say they felt dark energy - not evil or negative, just dark- when they came on our property and I wondered if somehow it had to do with the Faithists.

There are 2 great books by local authors on the colony and I wish I'd asked our family friend Elnora Wiley if she'd had any odd experiences that prompted her to write her book. I believe the other one is by Lee Priestly. They are both still for sale for a reasonable price and of course I own a copy of each. All of us kids- me and my cousins- did some school presentation, 4-H talk, or, in my case, a performance art piece on Shalem Colony. My classmate, who was an actor, suggested we dress in white, go to a part of our family property and he'd read out of Oaspe. So it was site specific and very college art school weird and fun. OK, so I probably violated a ton of rules but there is my big tangent on Oahspe.

Last edited:
Back