• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Questions for PMH Atwater

Polterwurst

Paranormal Adept
I have no idea if we are allowed to do this, but since the show with Ms Atwater has been announced (and I'm so excited about it I can't really wait any longer), I'm going to open this thread. Please delete if that's actually just for the moderators to do. My questions:

In 1988 on the Geraldo show you said that clinical patients were routinely labeled psychotic when they reported an NDE. Has this changed in the US to the extent that you could call it a paradigm shift or is the NDE still a long way from being acknowledged as a phenomenon that should be studied?

Why do you think NDEs seem to also happen in situations where people are afraid to die but actually are not near death at all (like car or mountaineering accidents)?

For some people, the estimate of about a third of revived cardiac arrest patients who report an NDE means that there is probably no real phenomenon going on, because „if it's something real, shouldn't it happen every time?“. Why do you think most people don't seem to have (or report) an NDE? Could amnesia play a role in that?

Although I have been lucky enough to stumble over some evidence for possible „survival of consciousness“ (in the form of two children whose behaviour and statements might indicate reincarnation), I'm still quite sceptical about some of the areas in which my „armchair research“ sometimes leads. You seem to believe in the idea of the „indigo children“ and that there is a world-wide consciousness shift happening. What would be the best evidence for that?

In your work with children, do you get evidence of reincarnation? Anything you would consider proof?

Have you ever looked into haunting phenomena? Could the OBEs that are reported at the onset of an NDE suggest that the notion of „earthbound spirits“ (as proposed by many psychics like Mary Ann Winkowski for example) may be right?

I recently listened to Dr Peter Fenwick talking about light phenomena that had been reported by relatives or medical staff at the moment of passing of a terminal ill patient. I had never heard of that. Has anything like that come up in your research? Could there be a connection to light anomalies zipping around that are reported in hauntings, maybe even to the „mystery lights“ (sometimes called „ghost lights“) phenomena that are observed in places like Hessdalen, Marfa and all over the world (as I've recently found out, thanks to Chris, even in my country's own Black Forest)?

In my country, most people and certainly most scientists still shrug NDEs off as being a mixture of oxygen deprivation and desperate wishful thinking. I'm afraid you and your fellow researchers would be labeled fringe scientists and even worse things. They see cases like that of Pam Reynolds or Vicky Umipeg (or the cases Dr von Lommel presents) as anecdotes and anomalies that are probably not that remarkable at all.I only know of small-scale studies that quite obviously try to disprove NDEs. Or have you heard different?

I hope that some day very soon this will change and everyone even here will acknowledge what you and others like you are doing for us all. Actually I'm not a religious person, but thank god for people like you. Nearly 40 years after, the light you saw is still just as bright, and that is awesome.

The show is in the can, as it were. So it's too late for questions. But we'll look at them again when PMH returns, as she will.

Back