• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Questions for Paul Budding

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
Budding recently created the UFO Institute and published a thoughtful position paper: BEYOND THE LIVING MYTH… AND FROM SERIOUS ‘OLD’ UFOLOGY TO SERIOUS ‘NEW’ UFOLOGY
He will be our guest and we will be taping the show this coming Tuesday morning. Paul is also self-educated in Jungian psychological theory and a previous member of the International Association of Jungian Studies. (IAJS). His degree is in Social Science and is trained as a Person-Centered Counsellor. Sounds like my kinda guy!

Questions space-fanz?

Possible questions for Budding:

-What's the difference between Carl Jung's concept of UFOs as psychic projections vs common hallucinations?

-Is it true that Jung came to believe that instead of us imagining the consciousness behind UFOs, that the consciousness was imagining us?

Thanks

Does he subscribe to the Jungian view that 'sightings' of anomalous flying objects are merely a sign of the times rapidly changing and us trying to cope with it by either collectively hallucinating or 'whishing' things into existence, or does he think there are indeed 'nuts and bolts' craft out there, from wherever. Thanks.

Hi

I think in terms of... the projection of a powerful psychological emotion onto external phenomena. So concerning the UFO phenomenon some people project fascination and awe onto what they see. They do not have to see a UFO themselves other than say, on a television show. But once they have projected these powerful feel-good emotions onto the whole phenomenon then to say that they do NOT believe in the reality of UFOs would equate to giving up on the feelings of awe and fascination that are inextricably linked to it. So just like some people project awe and fascination into the heavens these same archetypal dispositions can be projected into the skies. So these people 'Want to Believe'. As for visual hallucinations theres nothing there at all... and they are often connected to illnesses and organic brain disorders.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

But yes, I think that there is something there beyond the mythical projections that people do not want to give up on. I believe that there is something real to the phenomenon because of the works of the likes of Dolan, Kean, Hastings, Cook... serious researchers who have interviewed countless people. When military jets are sent to chase things seen in the skies I certainly do not think that they have projected ET craft onto a flock of birds or the planet Venus etc. I think that in such cases the military jets are chasing unknown intelligently controlled craft.

My personal take on Jung's concept of psychic projection is quite different. Jung conceived psychic projections as physical intrusions into classic "reality" by non-physical processes of thought and pure information, bridging the realms of conscious experience and those of both conscious and unconscious thought. In other words, an event in which either individual or collective thought process becomes nuts and bolts stuff, and may even be perceived by multiple witnesses.

Recall that there is no such thing as empty space. Virtual particles are constantly popping into and out of the void. This runs at right angles to every instinct of common sense. And yet is true.

Hi

I think in terms of... the projection of a powerful psychological emotion onto external phenomena. So concerning the UFO phenomenon some people project fascination and awe onto what they see. They do not have to see a UFO themselves other than say, on a television show. But once they have projected these powerful feel-good emotions onto the whole phenomenon then to say that they do NOT believe in the reality of UFOs would equate to giving up on the feelings of awe and fascination that are inextricably linked to it. So just like some people project awe and fascination into the heavens these same archetypal dispositions can be projected into the skies. So these people 'Want to Believe'. As for visual hallucinations theres nothing there at all... and they are often connected to illnesses and organic brain disorders.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

But yes, I think that there is something there beyond the mythical projections that people do not want to give up on. I believe that there is something real to the phenomenon because of the works of the likes of Dolan, Kean, Hastings, Cook... serious researchers who have interviewed countless people. When military jets are sent to chase things seen in the skies I certainly do not think that they have projected ET craft onto a flock of birds or the planet Venus etc. I think that in such cases the military jets are chasing unknown intelligently controlled craft.

Thanks for joining the forums, Paul. We enjoyed talking to you on the show and welcome your participation here.

Further formulating and executing of the online marketing strategy, aimed at SEO and SEA, email marketing, selfservice, affiliate marketing and social media. Project manager for development of the HRM's recruitment site.

Also responsible for improving online marketing knowledge of the marketing department.

Back