• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Questions for Alien Abduction advocates

Judean Peoples Front

Paranormal Novice
Hi, new guy here, first post...

The next time you have one of the many alien abduction researchers on your show, could you please ask them if they have looked into the speculated link between the drug DMT and the very real belief of contact with otherworldly creatures?

I came across the following Wiki article which references research conducted by a Dr Rick Strassman in the 1990s. In short, Strassman says that alien abduction may be explained by a high levels of natural DMT production which may also be passed on to the person's descendants via their DNA. Obviously, this will upset some AA believers as it guts their belief that "aliens" are selecting generations of families for "research". The truth may turn out to be a lot closer to home than Zeta Reticuli.

"Dr. Rick Strassman, while conducting DMT research in the 1990s at the University of New Mexico, advanced the theory that a massive release of DMT from the pineal gland prior to death or near death was the cause of the near death experience (NDE) phenomenon. Several of his test subjects reported NDE-like audio or visual hallucinations. His explanation for this was the possible lack of panic involved in the clinical setting and possible dosage differences between those administered and those encountered in actual NDE cases.

Several subjects also reported contact with 'other beings', alien like, insectoid or reptilian in nature, in highly advanced technological environments[12] where the subjects were 'carried', 'probed', 'tested', 'manipulated', 'dismembered', 'taught', 'loved' and even 'raped' by these 'beings'. Those could be the same beings that some of the ancient cultures that consumed DMT rich beverages, like ayahuasca, considered their gods. Also, this leads to the idea that the alien abduction phenomenon could be produced by high levels of endogenous DMT in the human body, and that it might be a physiological condition that could pass genetically to the descendants of such people. (see Abduction phenomenon). Strassman noted, though, that the experience might be highly influenced by the actual user's life, showing what the person needs, given their personal story of the moment, more than what is wanted, and also that the setting could play a partial role, too (ex: in a waking dream state)."

Wikimedia Error

Hi, new guy here, first post...

The next time you have one of the many alien abduction researchers on your show, could you please ask them if they have looked into the speculated link between the drug DMT and the very real belief of contact with otherworldly creatures?

I came across the following Wiki article which references research conducted by a Dr Rick Strassman in the 1990s. In short, Strassman says that alien abduction may be explained by a high levels of natural DMT production which may also be passed on to the person's descendants via their DNA. Obviously, this will upset some AA believers as it guts their belief that "aliens" are selecting generations of families for "research". The truth may turn out to be a lot closer to home than Zeta Reticuli.

"Dr. Rick Strassman, while conducting DMT research in the 1990s at the University of New Mexico, advanced the theory that a massive release of DMT from the pineal gland prior to death or near death was the cause of the near death experience (NDE) phenomenon. Several of his test subjects reported NDE-like audio or visual hallucinations. His explanation for this was the possible lack of panic involved in the clinical setting and possible dosage differences between those administered and those encountered in actual NDE cases.

Several subjects also reported contact with 'other beings', alien like,
insectoid
or reptilian in nature, in highly advanced technological environments[12] where the subjects were 'carried', 'probed', 'tested', 'manipulated', 'dismembered', 'taught', 'loved' and even 'raped' by these 'beings'. Those could be the same beings that some of the ancient cultures that consumed DMT rich beverages, like
ayahuasca
, considered their gods. Also, this leads to the idea that the alien abduction phenomenon could be produced by high levels of endogenous DMT in the human body, and that it might be a physiological condition that could pass genetically to the descendants of such people. (see Abduction phenomenon).
Strassman
noted, though, that the experience might be highly influenced by the actual user's life, showing what the person needs, given their personal story of the moment, more than what is wanted, and also that the setting could play a partial role, too (ex: in a waking dream state).
"

Wikimedia
Error

There is a fascinating podcast by The Clueless One and Jeff Ritzmann over at Paratopia with Dr Dennis McKenna on this and other aspects of UFO / DMT parallels. Paratopia number 7

And Welcome!

Did you find anywhere that he indicated what role DMT may play in accounts from relatives of the newly departed as they are contacted by the newly dead as they leave this earthly plane?

I have heard of that study, and there are some drugs in South America that can induce visions of the insectoid beings, but nobody manages to explain the bits around the NDEs, ie the dead saying goodbye to loved ones.

It still is very interesting, though.

but nobody manages to explain the bits around the NDEs, ie the dead saying goodbye to loved ones.

Similar: My mother, a perfectly normal person, has a dream where her sister, my Aunt, appears to her and says, "I just thougt I'd say good bye."
The next day, my aunt dies. How are you going to pin that one on DMT? Okay, maybe they aren't trying to, but your point, Annette Marie, holds.

is it perhaps, that DMT does not CAUSE these visions, but only opens a doorway in our perception that allows us to SEE what is there? It may alter our perception, but does it actually alter our reality, is, I suppose, the actual question for the good doctor studying this DMT stuff.

This is going to be one of those days where I feel truly fricking dumb. What the hell is DMT?

Nevermind, Read Wikipedia.

Personally, I don't think it can be passed down from generations. In fact, I would wager it's a substance the body creates in times of great stress, and takes to normalize.

Did you find anywhere that he indicated what role DMT may play in accounts from relatives of the newly departed as they are contacted by the newly dead as they leave this earthly plane?

I have heard of that study, and there are some drugs in South America that can induce visions of the insectoid beings, but nobody manages to explain the bits around the NDEs, ie the dead saying goodbye to loved ones.

It still is very interesting, though.

Hi,

No, I didn't come across anything that suggested DMT may trigger NDEs. Are you talking about a waking, conscious hallucination when people claim to get a visit from the dead or being asleep?

Maybe our dreams are mild releases of DMT? I've dreamt of dead relatives, I've had my cat speak to me in a dream, I've had UFO dreams which were so vivid I can recall big chunks today but I don't ascribe anything more "fantastic" to them than that they are just dreams. My father-in-law is dead and cats can't speak English.

Yes you're right, DMT is one of those drugs that exists within certain plants. However consuming the plant on its own does nothing as an enzyme in our stomach neutralises DMT. However another plant, when properly prepared, counters this enzyme. What I don't understand is how anyone realised there was a powerful hallucinogen in the plant if there was no initial reaction.

I used to be a deep UFO believer (perhaps I should say sucker) but I've gradually climbed out of the deep end and take a more dispassionate view on this stuff. I keep an open mind but I tend to think that "alien abductions" have nothing to do with "aliens" or "abductions". The belief that one has been taken by otherworldly forces is as old as the hills. Hundreds of years ago, people used to believe that "demons" kidnapped people and dragged them off to "hell" for torture. All that has changed is our pop cultural overlay. We think we're too sophisticated to believe in demons but we've just substituted short gray people for fiery imps. I could be completely wrong but afaik, there is a total absence of evidence that supports the belief that alien abductions have a factual basis.

I am talking about lying in bed, and hearing my grandmother call my name, clear as a bell. Answering the phone the next morning and telling my dad that I know Grandma died, she came to say goodbye when she left you.
Time of death matched the time she called my name, and I had made her promise to let me know she was going, and to say goodbye when she left. She kept her promise.

That sort of thing doesn't have anything to do with DMT from my end, I didn't die, my grandmother did. So, the DMT may have affected her, but what accounts for me receiving her message?

by the by, I had heard her call me - or thought I had -for two nights in a row, preceding her death. the final time, her voice was loud and very sharp, just like she sounded when she wanted to get my attention, fast!

So, DMT is interesting, and occasionally fascinating, but it by no means is the complete answer to the entire question.

as for it being attributed to UFO sightings and so forth, did that doctor consider UFO sightings backed up by radar tracking, or accompanied by crop circles? again, a partial answer to an incomplete question.

NDEs that have family members 'knowing' their loved one was in trouble, some seeing them off to the side, but they are not there, and then finding out the loved one was in hospital and had experienced clinicial death, those cannot be explained by DMT, either. Perhaps the NDE itself, but the sighting of the dying by a loved one, cannot.

I think DMT studies only reveal more questions and do not solve the issues at all.

...The belief that one has been taken by otherworldly forces is as old as the hills. Hundreds of years ago, people used to believe that "demons" kidnapped people and dragged them off to "hell" for torture. All that has changed is our pop cultural overlay. We think we're too sophisticated to believe in demons but we've just substituted short gray people for fiery imps.

I could be completely wrong but afaik, there is a total absence of evidence that supports the belief that alien abductions have a factual basis.

On the other hand, you could be completely right. We just don't know, and if we stop looking for answers, we will NEVER know; even if we stumble across the truth one day, it would take a question out there being asked in order for that answer to have any meaning.

How many people, actually advocate being abducted by aliens? I know I wouldn't. I don't like going to the doctor, let alone having space aliens touch me in places that are verboten.

Especially when more often than not, there's no soft music, no kisses, and no chocolate afterwards.

If Aliens actually would put a little effort into their abductions, they'd meet with a lot less resistance. Especially if they were hot looking green alien space babes like on Star Trek or something.

I have not heard much questioning or discussion about loss of memory of abduction experiences. This seems to happen in some cases but not others - or where people have selective memories of their abduction experiences - is this an alien technology that fails sometimes? They fail to use it sometimes? How does it work? Is it so traumatizing that humans block this from their consciousness? Aliens seem to have mind control during these events - do we think they do at times when we are not abducted?

Also -- it might be shortsighted to conclude that DMT is the only causal factor in a predisposition for hallucinations. I seem to recall at least one very ancient formula that even the bible specifies.

Even a small dose will produce auditory and visual delusions that mountains are moving and so forth...

While there may be a corollary between certain abduction like experiences, one would be hard pressed to apply the DMT experience as an explanation to resolve multiple witness/abduction cases such as Betty and Barney, Allagash, Walton, Salter and numerous others.

I've often pondered the hypothesis that -if- abductions are a reality/physical based phenomena and -if-, as described by many, those perpetrating these events have the ability to modify the human genome (see "hybrids") than is it possibly that a particular genetic sequence could be modified to induce in the subject, with the trigger being DMT (a substance found within all of us), a particular type of vison or experience, one including as Terrence described, "Machine Elves", UFOs and to an even deeper extent, a spiritual connection to that which our 5 senses cannot perceive in normal reality. It seems beyond coincidence that certain aspects of the Abduction narrative are -somewhat- mimicked in the effects of the DMT use.

For an in depth experiential report on a Westerners experience with South American Shaman and the Ayahuasca ritual, may I suggest...

National Geographic, Peru: Hell and Back—Video Exclusive
Deep in the Amazon jungle, writer Kira Salak tests ayahuasca, a shamanistic medicinal ritual, and finds a terrifying—but enlightening—world within.

Ayahuasca - National Geographic Adventure Magazine

Also:

http://www.pabloamaringo.com/paintings.html

Lastly, Joe Rogans rant on his DMT experience...

Back