• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Psychic Pets

I had a cat named Cheesecake, and we were very close. I had her since she was a young adolescent and she lived to the ripe old age of 16. She was a very vocal cat. She would sit in the bushes in front of the house, and then jump out and meow at me when I came home.

So one day when I was about 20, and she was a young adult, I was walking home from somewhere or another. It wasn't a routine arrival or anything like that. We lived at the bottom of a hill, and I was standing at a busy 4 lane avenue waiting to cross at the top of the hill. From that location, about 4 blocks from home, you didn't have direct line of sight because of the curvature of the hill.

So as I'm approaching the avenue, I'm hearing a noise. It was a howling noise, like "rwow". As I got a few blocks down the hill, I could see Cheesecake, sitting in the middle of the sidewalk looking up the hill, and making that noise!

So somehow she sensed I was walking home and was calling to me!

I also lived with a girlfriend that had a dog, and her dog always knew when she was coming home. Long before you could ever hear her car, and even if she was coming home at a different time, her dog would go and sit by the door and look at it and wait. Every single time.

There's a good story, the details of which I don't recall, where a woman had a parrot, and they raised the parrot from a baby, and treated it like a family member. The woman and the parrot were very close, and she said the parrot would know what she was thinking, and would appear in her dreams and stuff. So they were doing a study on the bird.

So I think it was something like they set up a video camera while the woman was sleeping, and the parrot slept in the same room in its cage. So the woman was having a dream where she was trying to use a tape player, and she couldn't get it to work, so out loud, the parrot says "push the button, push the button!"

I don't remember if it was in a Sheldrake book, but I read it somewhere.

ISo as I'm approaching the avenue, I'm hearing a noise. It was a howling noise, like "rwow".

Sounds like a Siamese! At one time I had four lilac points, all of them extremely opinionated and loud. We called them a 'hassle' of siamese. They were Epicenter, Iridium*, Hurricane, and Ricochet: mother, son, daughter, granddaughter. When Iridium and Hurricane were kittens one afternoon Epicenter became quite agitated, would not nurse the kittens, and prowled around the house yowling.

Then we had the earthquake. She settled down, paid attention to her kittens, and everything was fine. I called the local TV station proclaiming that my cat, EPICENTER, just predicted an earthquake! But they were too busy interviewing the guy coming out of the 7/11 with a six pack on what he thought about it.

My dog named Ricochet. We were sitting around discussing what to name the new kitten and Moses, very uncharacteristically, began bouncing his purple ball off the bottom of the couch, causing it to 'ricochet' repeatedly. The cat turned out very skittish. You couldn't pick her up. If you tried to catch her she would literally bounce off the walls.

Hurricane is the only one left now. She's 14.

* Iridium was named after the Iridium layer at the K/T boundary which the Alvarez's found to be evenly distributed throught the globe, thus indicating a meteor or asteroid strike that caused the extinction event at the end of the Cretaceous Period about 65 million years ago. This is the prevailing theory on what caused the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Sounds like a Siamese!

She was just some little mixed cat. She did have Siamese looking eyes. Boy, I miss that little cat. :(

* Iridium was named after the Iridium layer at the K/T boundary...

You should have named her Chicxulub!

I once knew a couple who named their cat "Stir Fry"!

Great stories by the way. I've always heard animals could predict earthquakes, but we don't have any here worth noting.

My dobie, Wilbur, would give you a little dog kiss by one quick, light lick. Nothing sloppy. After we had him put to sleep because of cancer, i "felt" him walking next to me and he gave my hand one quick little dog kiss.
Whenever we are going to have a quake, our cat gets very clingy, wants to sleep in the bed with us, stays with us where ever we go etc.

Back