• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Project UFO. TV Crap or TV Classic?

Loose Leaf Tea

Skilled Investigator
Can you help?
Was that old 70's TV show Project UFO any good? I can only vaguely remember watching it and thinking it was AMAZINGLY GOOD. (I was only 11 at the time).

I remember promos ("It was coming at me like it had a mind of its own!") for Project UFO more than individual episodes. Jack Webb was the executive producer of this NBC series. His influence is most evident in the general one-dimensional style of the program. Ordinary people observe a UFO, the Air Force investigates, mystery ensues. Not much in the way of character development. I imagine that Webb was able to keep his writing expenses down by relying heavily on the Project Bluebook case files. The series has a rushed production style common of many TV shows that were produced at Universal Studios in the 1970s and '80s.

I don't believe Project UFO has aired in syndication or on cable TV since its NBC run. It would be fun to see a few episodes again.

Thanks for the info, James. I've done a bit of digging on the net and have discovered that the show is now available on DVD, so I might be tempted...
The show was only ever shown once here in the UK, too (I think), and I'm still uncertain whether it was a cash-in of the "Close Encounter" mania of the time or whether it pre-dated the film. Whatever the case, what a good idea for a TV show; a dramatisation of some of the Blue Book cases. I wonder if the idea could be re-visited today, hopefully without resorting to the sensationlaist clap-trap of most UFO-themed stuff on TV.
Wait, what am I saying?
It's all about ratings, stoopid!

Where is it available on DVD? I did several searches for it, and nobody has it at all. Where can I order it?

Everyone always talked about how Kolchak was the main inspiration for the X-Files. But as soon as I saw the show, I immediately remembered Project UFO (though in my head, it was called Project Bluebook), except that it had piss-poor production values and two dull Air Force officers instead of a paranoid Sherlock Holmes and his pretty Dr. Watson.

I'd be curious to watch them again, but not for $100.

From memory, didn't the show end with the audience being able to see a non-ET explanation of the "UFO' covered in that show? Kind of like Project Bluebook on TV to make people watching it think, UFO's are a bunch of phoey.

Back