• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Politics

Anubis

First Minister of Uncommon Sense
I don't know if this was mentioned already, but after listening to the latest show I hope politics do not become a regular aspect of this podcast. I don't want to sound to harsh, but using "disclosure" and Keyhoe's books as an excuse to jump into a Palin bash, announce your disdain for the Bush administration and comment on uniformed "end-of-the-world" economic scenarios was simply lame (David himself stated he knows very little about the subject). I tune in to the Paracast listen to discussion about the paranormal, not politics. If you all want to take this direction from now on, please rename your show the Politicast so I know to unsubscribe. As much as I try to avoid the subject, I get inundated with enough political commentary in my everyday life without having my diversions filled with more of it.

Thank you.

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but after listening to the latest show I hope politics do not become a regular aspect of this podcast. I don't want to sound to harsh, but using "disclosure" and Keyhoe's books as an excuse to jump into a Palin bash, announce your disdain for the Bush administration and comment on uniformed "end-of-the-world" economic scenarios was simply lame (David himself stated he knows very little about the subject). I tune in to the Paracast listen to discussion about the paranormal, not politics. If you all want to take this direction from now on, please rename your show the Politicast so I know to unsubscribe. As much as I try to avoid the subject, I get inundated with enough political commentary in my everyday life without having my diversions filled with more of it.

Thank you.

Well, we are indeed going to cover nothing BUT political topics now, so I would recommend canceling your Paracast subscription immediately.

dB

Well, we are indeed going to cover nothing BUT political topics now, so I would recommend canceling your Paracast subscription immediately.

dB

If we're going to start talking about political figures, let's not leave out Dov Zakheim...the former, Bush appointed, comptroller at the Pentagon who lost around 3 trillion or so bucks. This guy has heap-big Stink.

If that's the case, I'll keep it. The new format should prove to be an excellent cure for insomnia.

My $0.02 on "politics on the Paracast":

I don't listen to the show for the politics. I listen for G & D's explorations of the paranormal, for interesting and insightful guests or for the shredding of crappy unscientific ones.

That said, I often wind up injecting politics into my otherwise unpolitical conversations, so I forgive G & D for it (admittedly, this is easier since I agree). It's not going to make me unsubscribe.

If they asked me, I'd say "Don't do it at the expense of the paranormal subject matter", but I don't feel they do. I really don't. If they have a good interesting guest who takes up 2 hours with juicy paranormal stuff, the politics tend not to come up. And I am comfortable with them going off when there's some space to fill.

So for what it's worth, here's a listener who says "By all means, sirs, go nuts."

--Shawn

So for what it's worth, here's a listener who says "By all means, sirs, go nuts."

--Shawn

Thanks, Shawn. Just for the record, it's not like we plan on making this a regular thing on the show - unless we had to fill more than 2 hours a week, at which point, politics would likely start to rear it's ugly head a little more often. Like we stated during the episode, there have been some fairly intense things happening in our political landscape recently, and we decided to spend an hour talking about the challenges - and some of the finer points and issues seemingly missing from the mainstream media. I mean seriously, how many of you knew about the Paulson/China connection?

dB

The "real" world of politics is far weirder than anything any ghost or alien, alone, ever dished out. If you can't see some sort of "paranormal" force playing some perverse game of cat-and-mouse with human politics, throughout history, you are simply lacking a healthy level of paranoid imagination.

If I want in depth politics, I'll give David a call, or he can call me. We both share a lot of the same ideas concerning what is currently happening.

David and I had a very salient discussion of what's to come, and in all honesty I wasn't sure if I should be disturbed or hopeful that someone else gets it.

Regardless, the Paracast is my favorite show no matter what the topic. They could be talking about Star Trek collector plates and it would be better than any of the drek coming out of mainstream radio or television.

I wasn't sure if I should be disturbed or hopeful...

I'm feeling peculiarly optimistic that humanity may enjoy the benefits of shedding the socially crippling institution that is the Fractional Reserve Banking System...Now is the time to start discussing new, better, means of conducting commerce than those shitty ol', conspiracy-soiled, Fed-notes...

Regardless, the Paracast is my favorite show no matter what the topic. They could be talking about Star Trek collector plates and it would be better than any of the drek coming out of mainstream radio or television.

while not quite as all-approving as Tommy, I would rather listen to Gene and Dave spout off on politics than have that Sparks fellow back.

Because I don't have to try to distill the facts from rumours and decide where my vote is going, I find the current federal politics in the States pretty interesting. Up here in Canada, I find it a lot harder to listen to our federal political discussions as I am expected to figure out who is lying the least so I may place a vote that will mean something. So far, I have absolutely no confidence I have ever made the right choices, just perhaps the least objectionable choice from what was available.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_rRqeJcuK-A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_rRqeJcuK-A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oj1rT4bszWg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oj1rT4bszWg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Up here in Canada, I find it a lot harder to listen to our federal political discussions as I am expected to figure out who is lying the least so I may place a vote that will mean something.

Watching a Canadian political discussion is a complete waste of time. The Tories and the Liberals are going to be at exact polar opposites, while the New Democrats whine and rant like the spoiled child who cannot have their way. Listening to your particular MP is pointless because despite how his particular riding feels about a topic, he will vote exactly how his party leader dictates or risk being kicked out of his party and running as an independent the next election. Our politics are far more partisian than our American counterparts, and this has had a direct influence on the amount of cynicism most Canadians feel about our electoral process.

This time around we have what amounts to the choice between four TV dinners. One of which has left a bad taste in your mouth, while the other 3 have a good chance of giving you the runs. All of them will promise the world, but none will actually deliver anything close once elected. There really is no wonder voter turnouts are at an all time low in this country. The only reason I am voting Conservative is not because I feel Stephen Harper has even done a passable job, but only because the alternatives are simply too terrifying while we are sitting on the brink of economic recession.

Politics and religion are topics I generally try to avoid discussing with anyone. They both tend to turn seemingly rational adults into screaming shaved apes at the drop of a hat, and are not conductive to any kind of constructive discussion whatsoever. This is why I had such a problem with the political discussion on last week's episode. Besides literally putting me to sleep (I almost missed my stop on the train as a result), it is a topic I avoid like the plague for the very reasons I listed in this post, and I am sick to death of hearing "end of the world" scenarios from people unqualified to make such statements. For those of you that do believe the end is near, take comfort in knowing you will finally have a use for those "W2K Survival Kits" you purchased back in 1999.

Request:

"No sandbox politics - Let children be children!"
This may be hard in the coming few weeks in America.

What a pity that the most powerful man in the world has to grovel on his knees and spit on his adversary to earn it.

Power will never be measured on these terms.

Maintain virtue at all times.

This time around we have what amounts to the choice between four TV dinners. One of which has left a bad taste in your mouth, while the other 3 have a good chance of giving you the runs.
Wow! you have 4 options...Here in the Land of the Free we only get Giant Douche and Turd Sandwich. You have the option of vinegar and water or green-apple scentend Giant Douch or Turd Sandwich with or without "special sauce"...count yourself lucky.

Wow! you have 4 options...Here in the Land of the Free we only get Giant Douche and Turd Sandwich. You have the option of vinegar and water or green-apple scentend Giant Douch or Turd Sandwich with or without "special sauce"...count yourself lucky.

Quantity does not equal quality, my friend. We also have the anti-Canadian Bloc Quebecois, but they only field candidates in Quebec as their only goal is to seperate from Canada. Personally, I think they should be charged with treason and shot. In addition to them, we have minor parties like the Christian Heritage Party and the communist Marxist-Leninist Party. Realistically however, there are only two parties that will ever get elected, much like the system you have south of the border.

BTW: What happened to your Liberterian party?

And with our election now over we have... exactly what we had before, conservative minority, liberal opposition, Bloc and NDP fighting over the scraps, greens (HA!) not a sausage.

Canadian politics: achingly predictable.

They morphed into Reaganites and became irrelevant. I'm writing myself in.

Why bother at all? Much like our election, you don't have any shining stars running for office either. Palin is nuts, Obama has no experience, Biden is a question mark and McCain has one foot on a banana peel and one in his grave. Do you really think it will make one iota of difference who gets elected? Your President is in power for four years. On the other hand, the CIA, NSA, Pentagon and every other office that recommends policy to the Oval Office will be there long after these people complete any terms that they may or may not serve. To be honest, I am kinda hoping Palin gets elected, as besides being eye candy on in the media, she will undoubtedly provide four years of quotable entertainment much along the lines of Dan "[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system." Quayle and Al "I Invented the Internet" Gore. Seriously, you couldn't script the foolishness these people come out with.

As for our election up here, the only reason I even bothered to vote yesterday was to ensure I voted against the Liberals, NDP and the completely irrelevent Green Party, as they all were campaigning on tax hikes in spite of the weakening economy. Normally, if it wasn't for the Liberal Party's secret agenda to confiscate my hunting arms, I really wouldn't care which gang of thieves were running the show. Politicians are all exactly the same - especially in Canada (unless they are from Quebec, but that's an entirely different topic altogether).

As for our election up here, the only reason I even bothered to vote yesterday was to ensure I voted against the Liberals, NDP and the completely irrelevent Green Party, as they all were campaigning on tax hikes in spite of the weakening economy. Normally, if it wasn't for the Liberal Party's secret agenda to confiscate my hunting arms, I really wouldn't care which gang of thieves were running the show. Politicians are all exactly the same - especially in Canada (unless they are from Quebec, but that's an entirely different topic altogether).

here's an option...

<object width="425" height="344"><object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5xsi3u0tIuk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5xsi3u0tIuk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
</object>

Back