• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Podcasts I Listen To (NEED MORE!)

Free versions of recent episodes:

Kim323

Paranormal Maven
This is a plea from a podcast addict, and I need more! I list the following podcasts (in no special order) that I've found interesting, and will say upfront that The Paracast is at the VERY top! Any insights into these appreciated, as well as recommendations for more to feed the habit. Some of these have no doubt been mentioned here, so I have done my homework and I browse podcast directories and bookmark the ones I find blend the proper amount of skepticism with interesting guests. Here's my list: THE PARACAST (!), Binnall of America,
The Black Vault, Paranormal Cafe, Friends of EUP, EERIE Radio, World of the Unexplained, Mysterious Universe, Shrinkrap Radio (by a professor at Cal State, Sonoma, primarily psychology, but some shows on paranormal research), Audiomartini (Rick Wood is very skeptical but gives guests respect), Out There Radio (Joe and Raymond are a hoot), and yes, I must admit, The Hilly Rose Show. I do hold down a full time job and find time to indulge my voracious reading and other pursuits, I hasten to add, but at night I like to lie in bed
and listen to podcasts. Any others along these lines much appreciated from
all of you, and again, The Paracast is number one! Thanks. Kim

I still listen to Jerry Pippen, used to be because it was the only one I could get to operate on my work media player(found several others now), but I still listen because he gives his guests pretty much the floor. If you listen with a skeptical mind, many of these guys will quickly sink themselves because of how quickly they will go radical with no counter against their ideas. Only problem with him is that they're not the most polished radio personalities and some of their guests are way out there(My favorite is Travis Waltons brother, who claims he is an alien and sings a very enlightening song from an aliens point of view, and to think all this time it wasn't grays in the spacecraft it was just dumb cowboys).

Blackvault radio, which you already listen is pretty awesome I think as is the paranormal cafe and strange days(has gone to paid subscription but is a pretty good show), and live from roswell by Guy Malone on rare ocassion. An interesting one to me, in addition, is Dreamland by Whitley Streiber on unknown country.com. Now it should be known, if you don't already know, that Whitley is half off his rocker these days(has become quite fond of George Snoory lately, which is another mark against him). He's developed some silly theory on how the bogus droid pictures from California are intertwined in crop circle development some how, and that is just the beginning, sometimes he seems to present himself as though he's the second coming because of his abduction experiences. That being said, it can be quite a bit of fun listening to his rants and how out there he can get. I pretty much still listen to him because communion is what pulled me back into the paranormal world 20 years ago and he seems like a nice guy that genuinely believes what he is saying, unfortunately he's not a good judge of his own memories/ideas these days and I fear that he is seriously living in a dreamland. Would love to hear him on the paracast but I don't believe he would ever agree to that, he's way too defensive.

Yet again though, none are as well put together and confrontational as this show, so the others take a back seat once a new show comes up here. Alot of these would be considered goofy shows with this crowd, but if you're interested in the subject you have to wade through alot of goofy before you get to some shows/researchers that actually have some credible ideas.

I enjoy Mysterious Universe. It's offers a nice mix of topics and paranormal news updates. I do feel like the host Benjamin Grundy spent a bit too much time devoted to the whole "Chad drone" topic; however he did voice his own opinion of it as a likely hoax as well as the similar doubts held by many other listeners.

Dreamland is just something totally crazy that I tune into occasionally. I too was "reintroduced" to the paranormal by Communion and while I still believe Strieber's abduction accounts, he seems to have journeyed far into the modern new-age contactee area much like Greer. That, the ads and his adoration of Linda Moulton Howe make me fast forward through alot of his shows.

On a side note, I do recommend his new novel The Greys. it's an engaging story of abduction and cover-up which was I believe based on many of his experiences.

-todd

Although I can't listen to many of his shows without gritting my teeth, when I'd rather hear the guest than Whitley's summation of what the guest is going to say, I find Whitley's craziness his most endearing quality. Well, that, and the dude can write so much better than he speaks.

It's my uneducated guess that Whitley's childhood experiences, real or imagined, kept one foot over some line of demarcation that children naturally abandon when they have been sufficiently indoctrinated into accept norms. His later foray into Gurdjieff's Fourth Way helped cement a permanent pathway to "that" world, whatever it is, from this. I sometimes think he's crazy, but it could be that he simply doesn't have the same frame of reference the rest of us have. What we find crazy may not be so nuts after all. It's a matter of perspective and his is much more open than mine. (But I like mine just fine, thank you.)

That said, The Paracast is the best podcast I've found for the same reasons others have mentioned. I want to hear the hard questions answered and few ask. Kudos to Gene and David.

I enjoy Greg Bishop's Radio Mysterioso archives. There are not a lot of back episodes posted, but the ones he does have are pretty good. Guys like Kimball and Tonnies make frequent appearances.

He also does a live show every Sunday, but the quality is spotty - long periods of dead air, technical difficulties, too much bumper musc etc. But Greg is a sharp and knowldegeable guy, so when the show is "on" it's good stuff.

Lavarat said:
Kevin Smith Show is excellent

Kevin, himself, is top notch. He has good character, works very hard, respond to emails, etc. However his guests are usually ridiculous. His show is similar to C2C I guess in that he presents guests, lets them give their BS and there you go. If entertainment is what you want (ie science fiction) well have at it. I have listened to a number if his shows, but have had to stop listening recently.

I've also had to stop listening to a lot of others as well, too much crap, sorry.

Like Mysterious Universe. Grundy tells the news. He spends lots of time on reading stories, laughing, saying "Well I don't know about that, but it is rather interesting" He also spends a lot of time on drones, old hag syndrome, and sometimes the yowie. Just got tired of it.

Dreamland, oh gosh. 2012. Had to stop as well.

Kim 323, it depends on what you want, fluff, substance, or otherwise. And I suppose just paranormal stuff. But I may pass along some others. Like Point of Inquiry (Yes it is basically SciCop, but at least you get a realistic view of skepticism and how people go about it. And there are some good episodes although it seems to border that religion/materialism/secularism front. I find that interesting anyway. and even though I may disagree with bozos like Nickel, I don't think we should be so selective about what we listen to because it plays to our biases and not neccessarily to the truth.)

Also an older podcast no longer in production is Geek Counterpoint. Not paranormal, but science and theory. Interesting.

If you want someone blabbering for 2 hours about nothing, try the AZUFO show.

Agreed, Bishops interviews are good. And although I disagree with Binnall on points, he conducts pretty good interviews. I've listened to one of Jeremy's podcasts and was surprised to like it, will have to try more. There are actually some interesting interviews on the bigfoot/crypto side if you're in to that stuff. And of course try searching ghosts and all sorts of garbage pops up. Maybe there's something good there, couldn't get very far listening to these.

Sorry didn't mean for this to be a rant.The Paracast is the best. Could they please do 2 shows a week for free??

Binnall of America, which was recently updated on itunes, is probably the best show out there. dare i say better than paracast.

I really like Jeremy's show, I think he's honest and quite funny. His last interview with Bassett was definitely better than ours, IMO.

I also like the Dead Science podcast, the host is an interesting cat, good show.

Everything else, meh. I'm looking forward to whatever Ritzmann puts together, should be good (and I'm sure I'll be hanging out over there as well).

And then, as if there wasn't enough stuff, check out Angry Human. NOT for the faint of heart. You've been warned. ;)

dB

I'd like to throw Hometown Tales into the mix - admittedly on the entertainment side of the paranormal, but the hosts seem like reasonable dudes and discuss the weird stuff that they find with a refreshingly lighthearted attitude ...and the porkroll...my lord, the porkroll! :D

Poi said:
I sometimes think he's crazy, but it could be that he simply doesn't have the same frame of reference the rest of us have.

I don't think Whitley's nuts, more like he wants to make a few bucks off nuts. Given all the crap he panders, I really don't believe much that comes out of his portal. I think it shows a pattern over the past few decades where he latches onto a phenomenum, makes it personal and profits from it. ( See latest Drone crap for just one example—he saw one ya know ). I understand the argument that as an experiencer it can get all mixed up, etc, but more likely than not, I believe it's a convenient blanket he hides behind.

As for other good podcasts.

1) (UFO Related )-As mentioned above Jeremy's Culture of Contact podcast is fresh & original.
2) (UFO Related )-Mysterious Universe used to be ok. It has pretty good production values, but it sees this guy spends *alot* of time making excuses for missed/tardy podcasts.
3) (UFO Related )-Black Vault Radio - This is a good podcast. However John Greenwald seems to not update it much these days.
4) (Music Related )-NPR's All Song's considered is awesome. Great way to discover new tunes. Occasionaly they'll throw up an entire concert.
5) (Music Related )-Nugscast. Again great way to discover music. Lots of good selections from current touring bands are put up. For the most part the music genres are rock, imrov jamming.

TClaeys said:
Lavarat said:

Kevin, himself, is top notch. He has good character, works very hard, respond to emails, etc. However his guests are usually ridiculous. His show is similar to C2C I guess in that he presents guests, lets them give their BS and there you go. If entertainment is what you want (ie science fiction) well have at it. I have listened to a number if his shows, but have had to stop listening recently.

I've also had to stop listening to a lot of others as well, too much crap, sorry.

If you have to fill shows 5 days a week, week after week then it can get that way. You seem to forget he is a trained investigator and most his shows are not about things are mentioning.

Mysterious Universe is horrible. Rarely updated, Costs $$ or you get nothing. The awkward, goofy stories on MU that he puts in news are more SCI-Fi than anyone.

Its amazing how many people feel they are the one who knows what belongs on the air. Hell turn it off if you get the snivels when you dont get your way!!!

Anyways your rant is nothing but your opinion, and you have that right even if you could be wrong!!!

Lavarat said:
Mysterious Universe is horrible. Rarely updated, Costs $$ or you get nothing. The awkward, goofy stories on MU that he puts in news are more SCI-Fi than anyone.

Its amazing how many people feel they are the one who knows what belongs on the air. Hell turn it off if you get the snivels when you dont get your way!!!
I'm guessing this is directed at me?

I do turn it off if I don't like it or get my way, whatever that means. And I don't care what people listen to or what is on the air. Whose to say what belongs on the air?? If there is an ear to listen, and someone to talk then I say commence gibberish.
Lavarat said:
Anyways your rant is nothing but your opinion, and you have that right even if you could be wrong!!!
Just giving my 2 cents. What is a forum, but a place to voice opinion? And how could my opinion be wrong? I like what I like. Sorry if that somehow offended you by voicing my opinion.

TClaeys said:
how could my opinion be wrong? I like what I like.

apparently Lavarat is the arbiter of what opinions are valid.

I hope my opinion is valid! I'll wait to see what he says ;-P

Try the SKEPTOID podcast, it is brief and very sceptical, but you may like it. STANGE BUT TRUE has interesting strange news updates at the start of the podcast, but warning: most of it is not credible.

Good thread. I listen to internet radio while I work and I'm always looking for good podcasts on subjects that interest me.

For finding new (actually, old) cool music, I suggest luxuriamusic.com.

Lavarat said:

I sooo want to like Kevin Smith. I soo want to like his show. However there is there are at least two overriding things that prevents me from doing so, and they're quite easy to notice once you've listened to his show a few times:

(1) Kevin Smith is an out and out self-promoter (which always sets off the alarm bells in my mind)

and

(2) He is quite possibly the most boring man in the universe ... in my not so humble opinion of course :D. He repeats himself endlessly, and takes faaar too long to get to the guest droning on and on about nothing in particular.

Oh and of course he's called Kevin ... which is, of course, possibly the most evil name in the universe ... :p

To Anyone Who Listens To Kevin Smith:

I've only heard two episodes - The one where Ritzmann is forced to sit in a jail cell with He Who Shall Not be Named and more recently, Dan Burisch with one of his sidekicks.

He concludes the Ritzmann interview with that same old "Whelp! The debate rages on!" routine one gives to two equal/opposite sides. The implication being, of course, that a photo analyst saying "That's a turkey leg on a string" is no more an expert than a representative for the turkey-is-aliens theory.

With Burisch it seems like he actually wholeheartedly believes his story. I can't tell if this is a contrivance because he's a guest on the show and he's just playing along, or if he really believes Burisch.

Anyone know? Is Kevin Smith completely gullible or is he playing the open-to-anything host role?

But better than the Paracast? Not even close.

PS. one last thing that drives me crazy: he uses the word "esoteric" way way way way way too much. esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica esoteric esoterica

I agree - Once U go Paracast - U don't go back!

"Esoterica" indeed!:mad:

Back