• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Phyllis Galde and Fate Magazine & Jerry Clark!

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
The oldest U.S. magazine about the Paranormal is Fate, founded by Ray Palmer and Curt Fuller in 1948. It has gone through several ownerships, and has a long, storied history of presenting articles about the strange and the unknown to a general audience.

In his episode, we'll ask Phyllis about the history of the publication, the highlights, some of the most fascinating stories published in the magazine, and about the future, as more and more publishing moves online.

This session will be recorded on Thursday, March 20.

1) The history of Fate magazine has included some very interesting debunkings of major paranormal tales. In your opinion what has been the most important debunking featured in Fate over the years and why?

2) On the flip side what would you say is the most important and crtitical paranormal or esoteric story exposing an alternate reality that has been featured in the magazine over the years?

3) Fate has featured a wide ranging set of stories that include both the improbable and very possible. What for you is the driving philosophy behind the magazine to be informative or to be entertaining? How important is fact confirmation in this publication?

Oh, and I love the cover art. Any chance of getting some issued poster size for proud display in my man cave?

EDIT: forget it, found them in the online store, ordering now!
Fate Magazine Store

Some phenomena seem to follow a pattern or trend. For example, mysterious objects in the skies were often reported as airships, then rockets, and more recently, flying saucers. Have you noted any trends or pattern in the paranormal phenomena that were reported in your magazine?, And, if so, what were they?

Last edited:
Questions for Clark:

1) Over the years what role & impact did Fate magazine have in shaping your own approach and philosophy towards the UFO and paranormal fields?

2) Who are the writers and favourite topics from Fate that you have enjoyed reading the most in the history of the publication?

3) What approaches and changes to the Paranormal and Ufological fields do you think would help legitimize and broaden the audence for more serious inquiry into these respective areas of study?

Phyllis I am sorry to say I was a regular reader of Fate Magazine but I became disenchanted with the magazine. The size of the magazine became smaller and then my local Barnes and Noble dropped it completely. I lost interest after that. Do you really think a digital version will increase your readership?

What's the most bizarre story you have ever printed that you believe can actually be true? Is there anything that was printed that you thought was the real thing that ended up being debunked?

Just to let y'all know: After recording this episode, we learned that one of the long-time Fate editors, Donald Michael Kraig, died of pancreatic cancer on March 17. We send our sympathies to his friends and family.

Back