• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Petrol and Cigarettes myth

Free episodes:

Aaron LeClair

Paranormal Maven
Fortean Times Magazine | The world of strange phenomena

"The myth

If you chuck a lit fag-end into a pool of petrol – as we all know from countless filmic explosions – it goes “boom”.

The “truth”

Researchers at the Maryland laboratory of the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms set out to test a common arsonists’ excuse: that the fire they’re accused of setting deliberately actually started accidentally when a burning cigarette came into contact with gasoline. Two thousand attempts to set fire to exposed petrol – which included spraying the stuff onto a burning snout – failed to produce a single flame. They tried different brands of ciggy and of petrol, they used a vacuum device to imitate a smoker drawing on a butt, they tried petrol both spread out and concentrated. Nothing. They’re not sure why, given that petrol ignites at 246˚C (475˚F) and cigarettes burn at 700˚C (1,292˚F), but suggest it’s because the fuel has limited contact with the hottest part of the fag.

Other experimenters have had similar results, trying variations of air temperature and humidity. Forty cigarettes at once were thrown into a pan of petrol: it didn’t catch fire. All researchers reported that a match will set fire to spilt petrol, but a tossed cigarette just won’t.

Sources

Scotsman, 28 Feb 2007;
http://film.guardian.co.uk/print/0,,329728298-3156,00.html;
www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/mpmain.html.

Disclaimer

I haven’t tested this one, I don’t intend to, and I suggest you don’t either. Experimenters stress that there are, obviously, circumstances in which a cigarette can start a petrol fire – but it can’t happen, they say, the way it’s shown in films. The experimental data seem clear – the theory less so. Your burning rebuttals and explosive explanations are awaited on the letters page."

same goes with a natural gas leak. as long as there is no flame generated it will not ignite the gas. (so says the gas man who threw a lit butt into the trench i dug to fix a broken high pressure gas main.)

I have heard this before, especially that if you dropped a cigarette into a tank of gasoline it would probably just go out.

I do know that a static spark can ignite the fumes of gasoline just from touching the metal of your car while fueling. That has happened here locally and has been caught on camera. I suppose a spark is more similar to a flame than a burning butt.

Of course, personally, I have never tried any of this nor will I ever!

Back