• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Penn and Teller's hoaxed Bigfoot vid

idontunderstand said:
Yeah good stuff.

I mean what is all this really about. Lets say people did fall for the hoax. Does that prove that all big foot sightings are therefore nonsense?

We all ready know that people are susceptible to getting it wrong. It would be unreasonable for a person not to fall for a hoax, if the hoax was done in a very convincing and professional manner.

To upscale that and apply it to all sightings bigfoot is unscientific.

I think they were trying to shoot the messenger. By showing how wrong investigators are, shows their incompetence. By showing their incompetence, they hope people won't take them seriously. It's the Emperors new clothes scenario. They failed, thereby showing their incompetence however.

Very true - a TV documentary tried the same thing with an 'inflatable' UFO, here in the UK.

Glad you mentioned that. I was just thinking about that exact event just yesterday.

As Stanton Friedman has pointed out to some, people make accurate observations quite often. That is why we are able to determine many ufos are Venus, planes, weather balloons etc. So when a mundane object is considered a ufo, it might just indicate that the person is a lousy interpretor over making inaccurate observations.

I can't recall what the exact point of their hoax was however. If they were trying to say people aren't reliable as witnesses or not. If they were showing that people wrongfully conclude, then they succeeded. But who doesn't know that? The people that did not conclude it was a saucer, didn't call in to make a report..... They made a very elaborate hoax, based on observations of flying saucers, interesting enough. They relied on consistent observations made over the years.

A.LeClair said:
For those who don't know, Penn and Teller have a show called "Bull***t", where they (like many magicians) debunk things. Well, they made a bigfoot vid, and guess what? It backfired on them. Many bigfoot researchers immediately thought it was a hoax, and did some good investigating on the vid and supposed eyewitness account. Unfortunately, Penn and Teller don't speak of this I hear. They were wanting to point out how stupid people who believe in bigfoot are, by dupping them via a hoax. In the process made the field look better. I doubt they will admit it, or agree though. I wonder if it was Penn in the suit. Penn's the big guy right? I forget.

The video can be found here linked within the page.
Bigfoot: The Sonoma Footage Hoax w/commentary 2005
It looked like a fake monkey.O_O

Back