• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Paracast rubbished!

Loose Leaf Tea

Skilled Investigator
OK, a blast from the past (but please delete thread if this has all been covered before):
I've a comment on the Mar 18 2007 Paracast episode interviewing Rob Fitzgerald of the Deadscience Podcast.

I recently heard Rob's Deadscience Podcast 39, and heard him say this,

Show 39
(23 mins 45 sec)
Rob Fitzgerald,
“When I went on the Paracast, they’re kind of famous for bringing along sceptics. They had a field day with me. Ha! I mean, literally to the point of thinking that, er, y’know, that wasn’t my name, I was lying, I was making the whole thing up; it went on and on and on – it was insane! Er, but that what’s sceptics are good for; not a lot of anything. And when I say sceptic, y’know, I’m not talking about the person that looks at things and tries to figure out if and why, because that’s good. I’m talking about the person who’s trying, that’s trying to prove that he’s better than you because he knows the answer and you’re just a fool, so when I say sceptic, that’s what I’m talking about.”

I went back and listened to the Mar 18 Paracast episode, expecting to hear fireworks, and heard nothing but a polite and interesting exchange from a well-mannered Gene and David! Not a single cross word!
What are we poor listeners to make of seemingly sane, rational guests? Is Richard Dolan secretly NUTS?

Did Gene and David piss Rob Fitzgerald off later on, off air?!! Or has he been on a second time and I missed him?
And what did Fitzgerald mean when he said,
"I'm talking about the person who's trying to prove he's better than you."
Was that a sly dig at David?

The whole thing's bizarre!

I'm absolutely, totally confused. In fact, I've just recently been in touch with Rob, and everything seems perfectly fine. I'll email him about this today, we'll see what's up.

dB

Absolutely nothing!
I used Richard Dolan's name (someone I consider to be a paragon of rational thought) as an extreme example to highlight, in a hopefully lighthearted way, of how discombobulating it is to the listener to hear a seemingly rational guest (Fitzgerald) later interpret his time on the show so bizarrely.

Sorry if I caused any offence or confusion.

Loose Leaf Tea said:
Absolutely nothing!
I used Richard Dolan's name (someone I consider to be a paragon of rational thought) as an extreme example to highlight, in a hopefully lighthearted way, of how discombobulating it is to the listener to hear a seemingly rational guest (Fitzgerald) later interpret his time on the show so bizarrely.

Oh-oh-oh, I see. I read it the wrong way. I thought you were talking about Fitzgerald and wrote "Richard Dolan" by accident. My mistake.

Loose Leaf Tea said:
Absolutely nothing!

I listen to Fitzgeralds' show and enjoy it. He, in my opinion, is becoming more and more of a "bleever" than a real skeptic. He understands what true skeptics are, I think, but usually uses the term to refer to cynics.

He does seem to be quite sensitive to criticism and maybe he meant the criticism he received from a couple of people on this forum after his show aired. I don't think he was referring to the hosts here, but some of the listeners.

Ron wrote to me, and indeed, he was referring to the feedback he got - email, specifically - from folks who didn't believe his story, who were downright abusive to him, which is just sad. I think he's a good guy, and as far as his story, who knows? I know what I've seen, so I have strong reasons to think his story has some meat behind it. Anyway, there's no hard feelings, it's all cool.

dB

Oh, I see. The "they" he was referring to, who had a "field day" with him, were other peoples' reaction afterwards. Wasn't very clear from what he said, but it does make sense now, given that his interview was so cordial (and interesting!) Be good to have him back to talk about the new EVP "real time" technology, the Ovilus and Puck.

Anyway, glad things got sorted out and I hope I didn't made the Angry Human a little bit angrier with my misperception.
(Enjoying the show, btw, David..."enjoying" as in getting angry too)

Back