• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Paracast as a zip file???

Poi

Skilled Investigator
This is a new one for me. As I visited the sites I visit every day, I couldn't access The Paracast as I usually do. When I click on my bookmarked link, I get the box asking me how I would like to open the Paracast zip file. Looks really suspicious so of course I didn't download this weird zip.

I'm only here because I opened the Paracast forum link in my recent email. Worked just fine.

I noticed, when I turned my computer off yesterday, that there were updates which would be installed so maybe my files are just wonky after the download. Happens occasionally, but never have I seen a link open as a zip. I'll derag and see what happens.

Thanks, Gene.

Did my usual and still couldn't get here so I re-bookmarked and the new link is usable. Guess the old one was corrupted during the recent download or sometime thereafter. Weird.

Edit: I can't re-establish a link to your home page though. Unless I figure this out, I can't get to the podcasts. This is ruining my day!

It wasn't just your PC. It was doing the same thing to me earlier today. Everytime I'd try to go to The Paracast website, either from Bookmark or from Google, it would ask if I'd like to save The Paracast as a RAR file. (Which I use instead of Winzip.)

It seems to be working again now though.

Damned peculiar. I've tried this on a Mac and Windows with different browsers, including the dreaded Internet Explorer and couldn't duplicate any problem of this sort.

Yes ... I had the same issue. It went away pretty quickly, too. I'm guessing (guessing only -- I'm no server jock) that it was some kind of DNS hiccup that made the browsers interpret what they were seeing differently.

I was concerned the site had been hacked and I was downloading some kind of virus.

Well, I'm sorry it happened to other people, but at least I know my computer isn't nuts.

The problem cleared up with my second boot up.

Just a suggestion -- I've had some pretty weird stuff happen to my browsers because of third party cookies. I usually don't permit them because of this. That probably had nothing to do with the Paracast hiccup, but it's good to get rid of your cookies regularly.

Speaking of cookies, have you heard of Flash Cookies? Some sites track and use these. You can see what Flash Cookies your browser is carrying (and control them) at Macromedia's Flash control panel here:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

I tried to post the entire URL in the link above, but the bulletin board application abbreviated it. Feel free to examine the link URL before you visit it.

I've experienced this once or twice with other sites, some times a "bat" file. "zip" file or "exe" file.

My advice, clear your cookies and temp internet files folder. Also try typing in the website address directly into your browser rather than clicking on a saved link.

If the issue still persists, try using another browser, something other than IE, which is full of holes :).

Hope this helps :)

I tried to go to the Paracast homepage today www.theparacast.com but it tries to open up in a zip file. I was using Firefox but also tried in in IE with the same problem.
A glitch with a plugin we use for our content management system, WordPress. I think we have it covered now. If you still see the problem, empty your browser's cache.

me too, last night. awful damned inconvenient, but accessed through google via search and guess that gave it a good link.
will keep the tip about clearing the cache in mind for next time, though.

hope all are enjoying a great day, with lots of food, family, friends.

Back