• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

On the Show — Preston Dennett & Dolly Safran

Just a footnote to my last reply. I do think Dolly believes she had an experience and I also believe that in her mind it is a real event.

You may well be right. But isn't it the job of an established researcher (like PB) to filter this sort of stuff out of the pool?

You may well be right. But isn't it the job of an established researcher (like PB) to filter this sort of stuff out of the pool?
Ian I totally agree with you and most definitely yes Preston had an obligation to ensure this person was of sound before putting her on the show.

And just because someone has an experience that does not seem to comport with reality doesn't mean they aren't of sound mind. Having interactions with possible higher or alien beings is not uncommon. Abductions are also troubling episodes that may not indicate alien contact, but nonetheless are based on phenomena we do not yet understand.

Ian I totally agree with you and most definitely yes Preston had an obligation to ensure this person was of sound [mind] before putting her on the show.

Indeed. Or having a "veteran UFO researcher" PB adding fuel to the fire by writing up her "experiences" in a book!

I'll stop banging on about this now, but I'm beyond disappointed that this sort of stuff is still getting traction, and being promoted by those trying to be serious researchers. It just muddies the waters in what is an already very tricky subject. (This isn't meant as a dig a you Gene - I expect you've seen this sort of thing before. Like I said, you did your best without causing the guests too much embarrassment.)

And for what it's worth, the UK's own Caz Clarke and her Pentrych story is another one who seems to get the gullible ear of "researchers".

Key is here that we can't ignore people like Dolly. We just have to showcase the problems with her claims, some of which are obvious in her own words, and move on to the next problem.

And just because someone has an experience that does not seem to comport with reality doesn't mean they aren't of sound mind. Having interactions with possible higher or alien beings is not uncommon. Abductions are also troubling episodes that may not indicate alien contact, but nonetheless are based on phenomena we do not yet understand.
I don't agree Gene and to be honest this woman was obviously mentally disturbed and you should of ended the show and I think you need to question whether Preston Dennot should ever be back on the Paracast.

A judgment call. We actually had a guest bail on us a time or two. When we exposed the notorious Bill Knell, he took the hint and hung up. We also had Paola Harris on the show once. She's since co-authored a book with Jacques Vallee (I can barely believe it!). She bailed minutes before the episode in which she appeared ended.

I have never actually told a guest to leave in over 16 years, though I've been sorely tempted. I'm not qualified to decide whether someone is mentally disturbed. Heck, some people think I'm mentally disturbed and perhaps they are right.

Since I doubt anyone here is a psychologist, we're not in a position to judge anyones state of mind. People who fabricate stories - whether consciously or not - get exposed when holes in their stories are revealed. Gene probably went as far as he could without humiliating the guests.

A judgment call. We actually had a guest bail on us a time or two. When we exposed the notorious Bill Knell, he took the hint and hung up. We also had Paola Harris on the show once. She's since co-authored a book with Jacques Vallee (I can barely believe it!). She bailed minutes before the episode in which she appeared ended.

I have never actually told a guest to leave in over 16 years, though I've been sorely tempted. I'm not qualified to decide whether someone is mentally disturbed. Heck, some people think I'm mentally disturbed and perhaps they are right.
I understand that Gene but Preston is becoming more like the very people we complain about at MUFON conferences.

Since I doubt anyone here is a psychologist, we're not in a position to judge anyones state of mind. People who fabricate stories - whether consciously or not - get exposed when holes in their stories are revealed. Gene probably went as far as he could without humiliating the guests.
No one doubt's what Gene did in the circumstances. I certainly don't.

Back