• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

On the Show — Preston Dennett & Dolly Safran

I don`t believe her story and Preston is too gullible, the two lights in the videoclips are airplane.
Preston has always been like that and once Bob Lazar was introduced as her supporter I just thought no this doesn't fly.
I would like to get some of that stuff from the Alien toilet though save on the water bill.

I don`t believe her story and Preston is too gullible, the two lights in the videoclips are airplane.
Preston has always been like that and once Bob Lazar was introduced as her supporter I just thought no this doesn't fly.
I would like to get some of that stuff from the Alien toilet though save on the water bill
Then again I wouldn't object to interviewing Lazar, but he wouldn't find it an easy interview.
Well it would be good entertainment just as John Lear was in his day may he rest in peace.

I grok the entertainment value. But we also need to hold their feet to the fire and ask them serious questions, and see where that takes us. As we did with Dolly. Some of her responses were, shall we say, curious.

I speculate that Dolly has had some actual experiences, what those experiences were, that is why we are researching this stuff. These experiences are much more than someone having mental breakdowns...there is something actually going on. However, I have always said that you can't take these experiences at face value. For one, the "beings" involved with the contacts play very fast and loose with the truth, but there does seem to be a "template" with these bizarre experiences. We shouldn't outright dismiss these events because they seem crazy or delusional, something strange is happening with these people.

I speculate that Dolly has had some actual experiences, what those experiences were, that is why we are researching this stuff. These experiences are much more than someone having mental breakdowns...there is something actually going on. However, I have always said that you can't take these experiences at face value. For one, the "beings" involved with the contacts play very fast and loose with the truth, but there does seem to be a "template" with these bizarre experiences. We shouldn't outright dismiss these events because they seem crazy or delusional, something strange is happening with these people.
I totally agree but I think it's psychotic or a false screen memory in order to cover up abuse.

I totally agree but I think it's psychotic or a false screen memory in order to cover up abuse

Gene, I thought you were especially good with your questions on this episode.

I'm not convinced by her story.

Some red flags for me:

1. Her refusal to demonstrate her alleged psychic powers. Also, Dennett didn't provide any convincing testimony about these powers. An obvious test would go something like, "Tell me what object I'm thinking of right now. I'll strongly concentrate on making a mental image of it." If Safran could have answered, say, 10 of those tests with minimal allowance for misinterpretation, then this would have been interesting. The next step would be to demonstrate this in a controlled setting.

But there's another level to the refusal to demonstrate her psychic powers that caught my attention. If, so I recall, her coming forward with her story is based on a motivation to help correct humanity's errors, then one essential step in this process it seems is for her to establish the credibility of her story. And one piece of evidence that would help in this regard would be for her to subject herself to outside study of her alleged psychic powers.

2. Her descriptions of the aliens seem too human. Having never met an alien, I don't have any objective reference for comparison. But, if you've had, say, 100s of thousands or millions of years of scientific and technological advance beyond where humanity is at, wouldn't such a species seem, possibly, radically different than us?

3. I was dubious, and I think Gene was too, about her explanation for why an advanced alien species would essentially sit on its hands in the face of numerous major human problems - climate change, catastrophic threats to biodiversity, plastic pollution in the oceans, war (fuck Putin and his past/present defenders in the US), etc. Saying it's "karma" is not ethically convincing, at least to me. If you're aware of the problems of our primitive species and you could, if you wanted to, intervene to help, you're no longer innocent. You're no longer in a position of viewing us as wholly separate others that you can just watch from an elevated ethical distance. You're now entwined with us morally to some hard to precisely define extent.

An analogy: If we allowed a country hit by famine to starve when we have the resources to help, we're morally culpable. There's no exculpating factor - having more money, more resources, more technology - that means that we can just wash our hands of other people. So too with alleged visiting aliens. Does advanced technology and more knowledge, etc., somehow mean that ethically they are entitled to mostly ignore us, that beyond some point of technological advance that ethical notions can then be dispensed with? (Then again, why should I assume that basic human decencies and universal moral principles are valid for all sentient species?)

Anyway, it strikes me as questionable that an advanced alien species would stand off from us, as they allegedly are. I'm not sure I buy that as a description of advanced aliens, and therefore I'm less apt to trust her story. Then again, what do I know...

She claims to be a hybrid, meaning she is, in part, one of them! But people who claim to be in touch with aliens in this sort never produce a whit of evidence of advanced technology. Their edicts about peace and brotherhood amount to nothing.

Of course, ET could have a non-interference edict, but if that's the case, why would they even contact us, or allow themselves to be seen? Anyway there've been enough Star Trek episodes indicating how they have to cope with this dilemma.

She claims to be a hybrid, meaning she is, in part, one of them! But people who claim to be in touch with aliens in this sort never produce a whit of evidence of advanced technology. Their edicts about peace and brotherhood amount to nothing.

Of course, ET could have a non-interference edict, but if that's the case, why would they even contact us, or allow themselves to be seen? Anyway there've been enough Star Trek episodes indicating how they have to cope with this dilemma.
Good points.

Underlining your point about presenting evidence of advanced tech: If she was spending this much time with an advanced alien species, wouldn't she be able to provide at least one novel major scientific insight, or, say, a solution to a famous unsolved math problem--something she'd have no prior basis for knowing, and which no one else on earth has yet come up with? This would be another test a scientific investigator would think to have her perform.

I sort of implied that during the course of the main show and After The Paracast, but she didn't take the opening.

Her knowledge appears to be limited to repeating standard contactee lore and adding an Internet rumor or two about fluoride.

As I said, it doesn't mean nothing happened to her. But she either didn't understand the nature of the experience and is trying to express it using cultural means, or we have a trickster-type element at work. Or she did make it up. Take your pick.

What an entertaining show! Unfortunately Dolly Safran seems to have no comprehension of the fossil record with all her stuff about a planetary collision that finished off the dinosaurs. Then all that stuff about the sun doing a micro-nava. Again, there would be traces of this in the past and although Tim tried to bring this up, she didn't engage. So much other stuff I wanted Gene to probe her about.

But most of all, surely all this knowledge and training about the universe the aliens have given her should be shared with our physicists - if genuine it would be of massive help to our understanding. Has she done this and if not why not?

Clearly Gene was not convinced by any of this!

And what on earth is Preston Dennett - who I thought was a serious researcher - doing nailing his colours to this mast? Ah yes - he has a book...

What an entertaining show! Unfortunately Dolly Safran seems to have no comprehension of the fossil record with all her stuff about a planetary collision that finished off the dinosaurs. Then all that stuff about the sun doing a micro-nava. Again, there would be traces of this in the past and although Tim tried to bring this up, she didn't engage. So much other stuff I wanted Gene to probe her about.

But most of all, surely all this knowledge and training about the universe the aliens have given her should be shared with our physicists - if genuine it would be of massive help to our understanding. Has she done this and if not why not?

And what on earth is Preston Dennett - who I thought was a serious researcher - doing nailing his colours to this mast? Ah yes - he has a book...
Dolly is not playing with a full deck of cards and Preston should be getting her help from a mental institution not encouraging her.

I avoided stopping her at every sentence. Her inability to respond to the questions I asked made it clear it would have been fruitless to probe further.

Back