• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

OMG - Clueless (most literally) woman and wi-fi

I will be tactful. WiFi is a wireless local area network. For example, my WiFi network is connected to a DSL telephone line upstairs. My 'router' has an antenna on it so I am able to sit comfortably on this here couch with a laptop in my lap and my dog sleeping by my side sending this post through the air to the router and then to the Paracast. I can also print remotely by sending pages to my printer, even though it is hooked to my upstairs computer and not my laptop.

Now, when you have a router like this it broadcasts not only throughout the house, but also next door. When I attempt a connection not only do I 'see' my own network, which I pay for, but also a couple of my neighbors' networks as well. If they neglect to secure their network, I can hook to theirs just as easily as my own. In effect, I would be stealing bandwidth from them and getting my network access for free. My son, who lives in an apartment complex, does exactly this because his neighbors are unaware they should encrypt their network or don't know how. He takes advantage of this and likely his neighbors don't even know.

That's what happened with this woman, who did not know enough to understand she was stealing her internet access. You can often get free WiFi at places like Starbucks or your local library. They intentionally do not secure their networks so people CAN get on either because it's good for business or to supply a public service.

Now didn't I handle that well?

Thank you both, but, trying hard to not sound condescending, please tell me you understand the allegorical reference of the picture and Jose's original statement.

Mr. Heck, reading between the lines here, please don't tell me you are attempting to undermine my faith.

Mr. Heck, reading between the lines here, please don't tell me you are attempting to undermine my faith.

OK, now you are speaking entirely above me, Schuyler.

I don't know what else to do other than to spell it out.

That picture is the scene from Planet of the Apes where Charlton Heston kneels down at the broken Statue of Liberty and says "Damn you all to Hell". I simply cropped out the Statue of Liberty and put in the router. Because when Jose said "Damn them all to" ... aww nevermind.

Gosh, Bob, you mean to tell me Linksys DOESN'T make a router several stories tall and put it on the beach? My hopes are dashed!

Gosh, Bob, you mean to tell me Linksys DOESN'T make a router several stories tall and put it on the beach? My hopes are dashed!

ok, I KNOW you knew it was not real, just didn't know if you recognized the context of the picture.

I didn't get the "undermine my faith" thing.

Context recognised. I was actually thinking of the Jay and Silent Bob scene that made fun of the Planet of the Apes as I typed it ;)

"Damn yous monkeys!"

I listen to TWIT every week, and that has to be one of the funniest clips so far. There was another one a couple of weeks ago when Loe called his mother live on the phone and tried to walk her thought her facebook settings. Needless to say it was a total train wreck.

Keith (and yes Victoria, there is a secret.)

Back