• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Old UFO books

Squiddly Diddly

Paranormal Novice
I am looking to buy some old books on the subject, please could anybody offer any ideas of what books from the 1950s that would make essential reading?

Thank you.

I would suggest anything from Major Donald Keyhoe plus the first edition of Captain Ruppelt's work.

Also Gray Barker's "They Knew Too Much About Flying Saucers" to introduce yourself to the paranoid sector of the field.

When you read any referred to in the first sentence, you might be surprised how little things have changed.

The best source of information on the early history of UFOs is a series of books called UFOS: A History (AKA The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse) by Loren E Gross. The entire series is free to download and read: UFOs: A History / The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse | Sign Oral History Project

Besides that, read The Flying Saucers Are Real by Donald Keyhoe, and then Intercept But Don't Shoot by Renato Vesco, to learn about post WWII British/American development of German disc aircraft.

And after all that, read The Eighth Tower by John Keel. It's not on the early history of UFOs, but it's essential.

Last edited:
In the early 1960s, I spent many many fascinating hours in the basement of the Samuel Weiser book store in Manhattan, which was loaded with paranormal books and magazines. I paid $1 for closeout books; good stuff but just being liquidated. I even bought my first copies of Jim Moseley's Saucer News there, and we all know how that turned out.

Basically my participation in the Saucer Club News section of Ray Palmer's Flying Saucer magazine, a certain letter I wrote that was published in the Forbidden Words comic (which got me started writing to a young lady from Alabama), and the Moseley connection, my entire life was upended. In a nice way.

Back