• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Oct 21st- Stifling the discussion

CapnG

Devil's Advocate
All-in-all a good show covering alot of fresh ground and detailing an aspect of uflogy not often discussed ie the territorial nature of cases and specifically who talks about what.

At the end of the show though, as things waxed theoretical, Gene brought up Star Trek and Star Wars was also brought up and David felt the need to shout everyone down.

David, listen to me man: you need to get over this. You're bitter, I get that. I've known people go through similar experiences so that even the name of the company they worked for or the mention of what they make sends them off on a tirade. But in this case, you need to understand something; whether you like it or not, Star Wars and Star Trek are the LEXICON. They literally define the terms of the discussion when it comes to things involving aliens and outer space. You ever see that Discovery special on how Star Trek changed the world? That shit's irrifutable.

You simply have to accept that people will continue to rely on concepts like beaming, warp speed, the Prime Directive, the galactic Empire and all that other crap you hate to frame their arguments because it's all we've got to work with, it IS the language. Frankly, I found your comments about these franchises at the end of the show stunning, since their impact on modern culture is both obvious and inescapable.

If all else fails, you could always remind yourself that you escaped! You're free of the ranch! That's got to count for something, right?

Working for/with "George" does have the effect of making one bitter/depressed/dissapointed. I've been in that situation and I can back up Dave on that one.

DamnDirtyApe said:
Working for/with "George" does have the effect of making one bitter/depressed/dissapointed. I've been in that situation and I can back up Dave on that one.

Could you elaborate for those of us not familiar with "George"?

Tony2013 said:
DamnDirtyApe said:

Think he is referring to George Lucas.

iPbFr5lxoEs

Vid doesn't appear to work, so visit here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPbFr5lxoEs&eurl=https://www.theparacast.com/forums/oct-21st-stifling-the-discussion-t-1149.html

Paranormal Packrat said:
Tony2013 said:
DamnDirtyApe said:

Think he is referring to George Lucas.

Who is George? an angel to some, a demon to others ;)

(he he.. sorry for the mangled Pinhead quote)

CapnG, those kinds of tirades are just the kind of thing that prevent the Paracast from being a professional-level show. When our hosts do this they reduce the show to a soapbox for spewing their own politics and beliefs. One of the criticisms of ATS is that they frequently impart the idea that it is their ballgame and their company, and if you don't like it, you can go away. In my opinion, that's not 'denying ignorance,' and I fault them for it. It's sad to see this show traveling down pretty much the same path. This seems odd for people who are so quick to criticize other shows. Paracast certainly does not have the problems CtoC does, but it's still the pot calling the kettle black.

I see, it's all clear now. Who am I to express my opinions on my own show? How DARE I do this, what a complete asshole I have become. I should be happy that the only way the talking monkeys on this planet can actually understand the Universe surrounding them, is to pay tribute to the mental masturbations of a hack writer/director (pick your poison, Roddendingle or LukeAss), instead of actually LEARNING about the ACTUAL reality of said Universe. If I would only fall in line, and pay tribute to these creative geniuses, they have done so much for the world, for the inbred rugrats of the planet, for those 'lil God-fearing, thumbless imbeciles that purchase their tepid turds and plastic puke and modern Myths Lite™.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up for me. What the fuck was I thinking. If only I drank beer, I could be like all the other good believers. Fuck the ginger ale, I need beer.

I have yet to get a chance to listen to the show, but I probably will tonight. I give a "thumbs up" to David's moxie though. :) I think it is refreshing for a person to speak their own mind and then when people question that to tell them to stick it to an extent. More people should be honest like that and less fake.

My stream of consiousness rant beginneth thus:

I think its more of a case of some people wanting to stifle the passion ... in my opinion.

We live in an age of mediocrity and hypocrisy, and Sir David of Biedny I think is just railing against that. I do it all the time, and have done so most of my life. I see The Simpsons (yes, that show again) and can't understand for the life of me what people see in it. I see America's Best New Talentless Pop Idol Anorexic Makeover Model and it drives me to despair. I see anaemic Sci-Fi (strangely, usually American) and I want to slap somebody with a life size model of Jar-Jar Binks.

Star Wars was really cool in 1977, and pretty much up to those bloody Ewoks and Muppets in Revenge of the Jedi (sorry ... Return ... Jedis don't do revenge do they?). Since then it has become ... well ... rather crap and infantile. The spirit of those Saturday morning serials dissipated rather quickly, and we were left with nothing but terrible dialogue and acting, and vast amounts of computer generated "special effects" (yes Ewan McGregor's accent was computer generated my friend) ... just to provide Mr Lucas with more money so that he can buy many more terribly named ranches.

Star Trek is another thing altogether. For all its future trappings, the entire Star Trek universe is entirely militaristic, and dictatorial ... oh and the universe seems to be full of "alien" humanoids with strange swellings, and sometimes, piecrusts of different sizes on their heads. It is strangely reminiscent of the American Empire at the moment ... but without so many spaceships and bald and fruity British Actors.

Its all too rare to hear people ranting and raving about such things. I feel that its a breath of fresh air to hear it at all. So please do not stop being passionate about such things. Popular culture (especially deriving from the US) is extremely potent and can effect the society about us in many ways. Sometimes it needs somebody to remind us that it can be toxic ... especially when it comes to Britney Spears singles.

And thus my not necessarily literate or sane rant comes to a grinding halt (but with a thoroughly unnecessary big explosion at the end, of course ... oh and one of those really tedious end bits where people stand around receiving oddly shaped medals and large glowing balls for no apparent reason).

I'm going to have to side with David on this one. I've only recently begun to take the first baby-steps towards what I consider to be a journey towards a more complete understanding of what I am, what my place in the universe is, and how it all functions. It's ambitious at best, self-deluding at worst. I've learned, early on, not to trust the voices of anyone else. No guru or prophet can tell you how to gain better wisdom about the universe, and nobody can describe to you how the universe functions because if you don't take the steps yourself and trust your instincts, you'll only discover what others want you to discover. It's the same with the whole Star Wars and Star Trek phenomenon. These things are meant to entertain us, not give us any insight into the universe. The Force is a wonderful idea, and perhaps a metaphor about free will and trusting oneself, but in the end the only way you can learn about these things is to go do them for yourself. As far as personal taste is concerned; I liked them as a kid, but I left that stuff behind a long time ago. Maybe they had a hand in what I'm looking for now, but I believing what I believe, I would have ended up here regardless. I watch that stuff now and cringe; it's corny, hokey, and tiresome, and has nothing to do with what's happening right now, nor does it predict it.

David, rant away. We can all be free thinkers, but if none of us go to bat for what we think, then it's pointless.

David Biedny said:
I see, it's all clear now. Who am I to express my opinions on my own show? How DARE I do this, what a complete asshole I have become. I should be happy that the only way the talking monkeys on this planet can actually understand the Universe surrounding them, is to pay tribute to the mental masturbations of a hack writer/director (pick your poison, Roddendingle or LukeAss), instead of actually LEARNING about the ACTUAL reality of said Universe. If I would only fall in line, and pay tribute to these creative geniuses, they have done so much for the world, for the inbred rugrats of the planet, for those 'lil God-fearing, thumbless imbeciles that purchase their tepid turds and plastic puke and modern Myths Lite™.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up for me. What the fuck was I thinking. If only I drank beer, I could be like all the other good believers. Fuck the ginger ale, I need beer.

Easy there francis.Lithium level low?:D;);)

David,

Continue your rants. Your honesty and passion is why I listen to your show.

Besides, swearing at work is healthy. Read: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/norfolk/7047536.stm

While I grew up watching and loving Star Trek and Star Wars they are now difficult to watch because they are, saved a few episodes, embarrassingly bad. Watch Gattaca for a great SciFi movie.

That being said, they served their purpose in entertaining and inspiring millions around the world to have interest in science, space, and a lesser degree philosophy. They helped establish for the average person a common language to discuss technology and spiritual issues that few others have achieved. Everyone knows what you are referring to when you talk about warp speed or The Force. They are no less important than, let's say, Close Encounters in raising awareness and interest in UFOs.

Perhaps the Star Trek and Star Wars references are completely inadequate to describe the mysteries of the UFO phenomenon. Hell, we don't even know what 95% of the universe is made of. Dark Matter, Dark Energy, the Dark Side. Who knows?

We'll probably never get to the truth but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The universe is much more interesting when there is still some mystery left.

Why do I say this? Because when George Lucas explained the Force as an energy field created by MetaFuckingClorines and Steven Spielberg sabotaged Stanley Kubric's AI by having an anorexic robot tell me what a soul is I just wanted to punch them both in the nose and spray some green screen paint on them to make them disappear.

What the big deal? He expressed his opinion and he entertained us and the guest while he was at it. I agree with him, Star Trek was bad tv show, it was just corny. I loved Star Wars though the old ones are just classics. I know that yeah those shows touch on futuristic technology and all, but referencing them makes already questionable topic even more ridiculous. David shouldn't stop being himself as well as Gene. I actually like when Gene brings up Star Trek and StarGate and all that because I always anticipate David's reaction. It's funny and they shouldnt lose that element because no other shows out there entertain and gives a good intellectual analysis of topics. The Yoda impersonation was excellent, David. :)

People, people, people! Did you not see the last 3 Star Wars flicks? Lucas raped our childhoods. Never forget.

You have to be an uber-elitist not to appreciate or at least acknowledge the greatness of Star Trek TNG and the 1st 3 Star Wars movies IMHO.

Now the 3 new SW movies are a different subject altogether...

Back