• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Number Stations

Jose Collado

Skilled Investigator
I'm pretty sure this hasn't had a mention on the Paracast...but not entirely sure.

Number Stations!

Here's the wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station

I heard a few recordings and they are pretty strange and freaky but would like to hear more on the topic

Very interesting. I had no idea that this existed. I guess I just assumed that all spy types had shoe phones or laser watches with super communicators built in. All kidding aside, it is kinda creepy that I could be listening to an assassins next target and not know it. It's oddly disturbing and yet very compelling. Much like a traffic accident.

I just love the audio. The mix of numbers, words and music set to repeat. It's creepy in so many ways.

I think "It's oddly disturbing and yet very compelling. Much like a traffic accident" sums it up nicely

Jose Collado said:
I just love the audio. The mix of numbers, words and music set to repeat. It's creepy in so many ways.

I think "It's oddly disturbing and yet very compelling. Much like a traffic accident" sums it up nicely

But isn't all the stuff you hear on shortwave rather creepy in some way? ... all those unknown burbles, beeps and things?. I haven't listened to it myself for years, but I keep thinking I'll just get a SW receiver just so I can relive the old cold war days trying to get impressive sounding russian stations on it :D ... and doesn't Shortwave creep you out more than EVPs? ... well it does to me ... so there :D

Yeah it's creepy. I'm not a great believer of EVP but this stuff is just freaky. Reminds me of the audio from the throat mics of the old fighter planes and the way it was almost robotic. That really creeped me out.

For me the creey part is not knowing who is listening, why they are listening, where they are listening from or what the devil the message is. Its not about the way the message is read or the the voice reading it.

From reading the article, they are probably sending out trash 98% of the time. Just to make sure you do not get a baseline for code breaking. But still, you could be hearing everything from dead drop locations to assassination instructions. Thats just weird. Whenever I see some important person has been killed or some spy has been arrested, Im gonna wonder if it all started with a 5 digit code repeated 7 times by a computerized womans voice. CREEEEEPY!

Or it could be a transmission that simply broadcasts in order for technicians to get a base level reading for their equipment.

Marco.....Polo.....Marco...Polo...Marco Polo ;)

Good point. Apparently, I have a dark side that wants to listen to assassination plots. Hmmmm, might be a good time for therapy.

Back