• SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of The Paracast, the exclusive After The Paracast podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, plus show transcripts, the new Paracast+ Video Channel, Classic Episodes and Special Features categories! We now offer lifetime memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://www.theparacast.com/plus/

The Official Paracast Store is back! Check out our latest lineup of customized stuff at: The Official Paracast Store!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

November 18, 2018 — Jerome Clark

USI Calgary

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
P.S. "The experiences that happen outside our categories." He's talking about non-consenual reality occuring in our normal paradigm of reality. As far as we can tell it is inexplicable and slippery and it is definitely non-logical.
If that's how you prefer to think, that's up to you, and there can be no further discussion on the subject. Personally however, I'm with those who believe that some views are better substantiated than others, and that claiming a view is exempt from analysis by virtue of some sort of transcendent existential and illogical reality that's beyond our grasp, doesn't even count as an explanation. We can and should do better.

Last edited:
If that's how you prefer to think, that's up to you, and there can be no further discussion on the subject. Personally however, I'm with those who believe that some views are better substantiated than others, and that claiming a view is exempt from analysis by virtue of some sort of transcendent existential and illogical reality that's beyond our grasp, doesn't even count as an explanation. We can and should do better.
We have tried to do better for decades and our approaches have not yielded much. We have good and bad catalogues of data and a collection of theories we argue about. The ETH has been the dominant one across all these decades and only yielded conjecture. I don't think scientific investigation should end but get underway in a much more detailed manner. But given the nuanced nature of what is described it does seem that we need to shift and investigate the non-consensual aspects and try to understand them. I find these to be the most interesting discussions happening right now.

USI Calgary

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
We have tried to do better for decades and our approaches have not yielded much. We have good and bad catalogues of data and a collection of theories we argue about. The ETH has been the dominant one across all these decades and only yielded conjecture. I don't think scientific investigation should end but get underway in a much more detailed manner. But given the nuanced nature of what is described it does seem that we need to shift and investigate the non-consensual aspects and try to understand them. I find these to be the most interesting discussions happening right now.
Hey, any genuine and constructive interest or study is better than nothing. Can you clarify what you mean by "... we need to shift and investigate the non-consensual aspects ...". I'm not sure of the context or content there.