• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

November 13, 2016 — Bob Zanotti with Goggs Mackay

I have a right to listen to whichever episodes that I wish - I paid my subscription.
I have not breached any terms or conditions, so I will continue to give feedback as I see fit.

You are 100 percent correct.
When i first started listening back in 2008, the show was a volunteer effort available to the audience free of charge, A gift given and received.

Adages like "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, and what do ya want for nothin" came into play with the implication contained in them that it's bad manners to complain about a gift.

But as you say we have moved to a subscription model, For you it's a consumer product not a gift. And as such you have every right to dispense with polite nicety's and complain about the quality of the product you have purchased.

But were it me, I'd still personally err on the side of politeness given Goggs is still a volunteer in this equation. Giving his time and contribution for free.

That's just me, Mileage will vary and you are quite correct that you are entitled to throw polite nicety's out the window in this situation

I guess I just had to rephrase it a few times to get the message through.

Absolutely, You have paid for the right to be rude and impolite to one of the shows unpaid volunteers and you have every right to exercise it.
As a volunteer firefighter myself, i always appreciate it when those i serve are brutally honest with me.
Two weeks ago i was out in full fireproof uniform, sweating my bum off in total fire ban weather and some guy drove past and threw his maccas rubbish at me as he passed.
To be fair his taxes paid for that uniform and the hoses i was dragging across the road blocking his way, Its all relative. You have to look at the bigger picture as some here are not.

And lets face it concepts like rude and polite are highly subjective and context based.
In Asian culture chewing noisily with your mouth open is considered good manners, I get this. That's why i never venture into the Chinatown restaurant district without earplugs. I kid you not.

Its so hard to know how to navigate society in a sensitive and respectful manner these days. I had one Chef tell me it was rude to leave food on the plate he had served, Said it suggested i didn't like his cooking. I had another say it was rude to eat everything, Reckoned it was a criticism of his portion sizes being too small.

One mans brutal honesty is another's rude insult. If some choose to see your comments as disrespectful well that's their right too i guess.

Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree. :D

You need to stop talking so much sense or you may find yourself volunteering as an administrator!.Oops too late!.Moving on (whistling)

Don't make me Judge you.

judgegrumplaw.jpg

This image made me laugh so hard, I had to change my kitty litter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back