• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Nova: Riddles of the Sphinx

Free episodes:

I missed this. Did they even float the theory that the Sphinx is much older than initially thought and that it was initially built as a lion? I've seen some other shows on the Sphinx and I find the theory that it not built by the Egyptians, only modified by them, intriguing.

I missed this. Did they even float the theory that the Sphinx is much older than initially thought and that it was initially built as a lion?

The show presents the idea that the Sphinx was made at the same time as the pyramids of Giza. The head of the Sphinx may represent the pharaoh Khufu or his son. The head is made from harder limestone than the body. The body was craved in place from the stone that it rests in.

OK. I wondered if they were going to cover any alternative theories, apparently not. I still don't think the mainstream theories have adequately explained the size discrepancy between the body and the head. I also find it interesting that the head is made from a different type stone than the rest of the body.
Thanks for the followup.

OK. I wondered if they were going to cover any alternative theories, apparently not. I still don't think the mainstream theories have adequately explained the size discrepancy between the body and the head. I also find it interesting that the head is made from a different type stone than the rest of the body.
Thanks for the followup.

Hawass is notoriously protective of Egyptian culture and he has been very dismissive of any theories that ancient Egypt may have been remnants of a much older culture. Hawass has also contradicted himself several times over the years, and many scientists over the years have felt his ire. Despite Phil Coppens theories, I think he has written a pretty good article on Hawas and some of the controversies surrounding Giza and the Sphinx. including the following:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"In 1984, 85 samples were taken from the Giza Plateau, including five from the Sphinx, which were submitted for carbon-dating. The results showed dates from 3809 to 2869 BC. It meant that the accepted Egyptian chronology for the building of the Giza pyramids was out by 200 to 1,200 years.[/SIZE][/FONT]"
The Egyptologist, the Sphinx and the cover-up

On a side note, my ancient history professor did say that the pharaoh attributed with the building of the sphinx only said he repaired it.

A guy named Ananda snuck into the Sphinx in 1997. I think some of his narrative should be taken with a grain of salt, and he is a ceremonial magician, but he did note the existence of several sarcophagi under the Sphinx and perhaps some clues of a tunnel complex that Hawass denies the existence of.
Untitled Document

Back