• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

No Rest for the Wicked. . . July 5

Noanswers

Skilled Investigator
Go ahead, take a week off. The rest will do you good- you keep going at this pace and you'll have a coronary or something. Have Bishop or Mack Toonies sit in.

I actually suggested they take a break a while. Remember that Gene? You said the way you get around never having a break is by recording more than one show in a single week sometimes, then taking the next couple of weeks off.

I still say take a break. Oh, and BTW ... want to know who would make a great guest host?

Don Ecker.

Been listening to his shows that he has been posting lately, and I think he would do a fine job. He should be allowed to choose the interviewee too so maybe he can have that film making buddy of his on and they talk shop re that moon special :D.

What say you Don?

Just get George $noory to sit in...

Of course he'll charge for those podcasts...
And they'll suck...
And nobody here will listen to them :p

Coming out of lurk mode because I feel strongly about the issue of Gene and David taking a break. This show is basically a gift to us, not an entitlement. I appreciate the hard work you both put into doing this show week after week, and I almost feel guilty when it unfailingly shows up in my iTunes feed like clockwork. You both quite deserve more than just a week's break. We will live. Other podcasts are very sporadic in their appearance, and people just accept that if they like the show.

Coming out of lurk mode because I feel strongly about the issue of Gene and David taking a break. This show is basically a gift to us, not an entitlement. I appreciate the hard work you both put into doing this show week after week, and I almost feel guilty when it unfailingly shows up in my iTunes feed like clockwork. You both quite deserve more than just a week's break. We will live. Other podcasts are very sporadic in their appearance, and people just accept that if they like the show.
Right now we have a new sponsor commitment that will keep the show consistent. Not a whole lot of cash, but a test to see if we can produce for them. If they stay with us, we'll get a little extra regular income from it. On the other hand, we're not totally averse to an occasional guest host to give us a break.

So many other podcasts I listen to basically just no show and provide explanation later. If you simply state there will not be a show next week and take a break, you'll still be doing more than many other shows. Everyone needs a break once in a while. Our priorities are so messed up these days as it is... keep focus on the important things... those being family and friends and taking time for yourself.

Gene, I'm sure you've got a show that hasn't aired or an interview somewhere that might be of interest to us. Or just do a "best of" show... It might be usefull to re-run some of what you think are your masterpieces to remind us :)

I for sure don't mind you guys having a break! :cool:

Or just do a "best of" show... It might be usefull to re-run some of what you think are your masterpieces to remind us :)

I've thought a Best Of kind of episode would be fun too. There would be the Michael Horn meltdown (and a few others), we could have Brad Steiger saying "pooberty" and David's impressions of Stanton Friedman just to name a few gems of the past!:D

But I bet the reality is that it's easier to do a full interview episode than it is to sift through nearly 200 podcasts and copy and paste sound snippets into a "Best of" cast.

Good grief - Take a vacation!

There are lots of articulate smart folks to play host (Mac Tonnies?)

xoxoxoxo
Mike C!

Paul Kimball and Holly Stevens would make great hosts for an ep or two. I'm sure they themselves have plenty of stories to offer.

I think you guys deserve a well earned break,

I hear what you say about being lucky to have other interests in your lives and that's a great thing, but you must still have to have this stuff running in the background all the time. Even though if you did take a break you couldn't exactly switch it off. I think you would benefit from some time off.

Also I like the idea of having Schuyler do the show. I understand he may not wish to do so but he would be my number one choice. Brian now's suggestion for Brad Stieger tickled me as well, you could maybe get
Ed Sherwood on with him to talk about moosic and pooberty, that might be a laugh.

Seriously though, it might be interesting to ask everyone what show they would like to hear again. I know you can just go through the old shows anytime but that might be fun. My number one would be the show with Bernard Haisch.

Or how about the soundtrack to The day the earth stood still followed by some of David's fave music.
Sorry I have some sort of bug and the Brandy's kicking in now. :redface:

Mark

I think you guys deserve a well earned break,

I hear what you say about being lucky to have other interests in your lives and that's a great thing, but you must still have to have this stuff running in the background all the time. Even though if you did take a break you couldn't exactly switch it off. I think you would benefit from some time off.

Also I like the idea of having Schuyler do the show. I understand he may not wish to do so but he would be my number one choice. Brian now's suggestion for Brad Stieger tickled me as well, you could maybe get
Ed Sherwood on with him to talk about moosic and pooberty, that might be a laugh.

Seriously though, it might be interesting to ask everyone what show they would like to hear again. I know you can just go through the old shows anytime but that might be fun. My number one would be the show with Bernard Haisch.

Or how about the soundtrack to The day the earth stood still followed by some of David's fave music.
Sorry I have some sort of bug and the Brandy's kicking in now. :redface:

Mark
Some Radiohead is always welcome... :p

You guys deserve as much time off as you want.

Some suggestions for programing so you can take time off:

1. Put together 4 hour greatest hits so you can take a couple weeks off.
Greatest hit could include:
a. DB's angriest moments
b. Gene best segway's
c. The best "wtf" moments (Paola Harris saying Meir is the real deal, Rob Simone being........ Rob Simone, etc.....)
d. Highlights of David's real experiences which are all facinating

2. Replay the Arigo episode! If there is one case that absolutely needs more exposure it's the Arigo case!

3. Take turns taking time off and have guest hosts - George Knapp, Paul Kimball, Don Ecker?

4. Turn over the show to a few trusted listeners, particularly those from international backgrounds who can shed some light on the phenomena in their neck of the woods!

5. Give Ted Phillips 2 hours to do whatever he wants!

6. Read the Great Gatsby word for word like Andy Kauffman :)

You could always let me rant on Japan's underground robot army for two hours.

Though you might want the explicit tag for it.

Hmmm I thought you guys worked a little in advance sometimes. The most recent episode (which I'm only about 20 minutes into as I type this) clearly was recorded just over the last week or so. But I had gotten the idea from some past episodes that you occasionally recorded interviews a few weeks before they aired.

Couldn't you get a few episodes 'in the can' so to speak then take a week or two off?

Hmmm I thought you guys worked a little in advance sometimes. The most recent episode (which I'm only about 20 minutes into as I type this) clearly was recorded just over the last week or so. But I had gotten the idea from some past episodes that you occasionally recorded interviews a few weeks before they aired.

Couldn't you get a few episodes 'in the can' so to speak then take a week or two off?
Well, maybe two this week. I suppose if we go crazy next week, we can take off till August.

somewhere in all this I missed the beginning of this conversation. do I infer our hosts are taking a mini-break?

if so, might I add - what took you guys so long, for cryin' out loud? there is such a thing as 'burnout' doncha know.

we can all play an old episode for our weekly fix, if you don't come up with a solution you like.

Back