• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Nick Redfern Discusses the Future of Ufology

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
So where is the UFO field taking us, and will there ever be an answer to the mystery?

Recently, my friend Nick Redfern wrote an article on the subject for Mysterious Universe. He'll be discussing this and other relevant topics with us on Monday evening, September 10, for an episode that will be broadcast on September 16.

Here's the direct to the article:

The Future of Ufology | Mysterious Universe

We also have an active thread in our own forums (The Future of Ufology by Nick Redfern), but post your questions here please.

You suggest that if ufology fails to seize the growing challenge it already faces, that it won't die or fade away, but will still be here and here, popping up now and again, to quote: "Not unlike a nasty, itchy rash picked up in the 'private room' at the local strip-joint on a Friday night that never quite goes away." My question is: It sounds like you might have some personal experience in this regard and I'm wondering if you could tell us which clubs people should avoid, or if just avoiding them on Fridays would be sufficient?

Viewed from the sociologists perspective, do you feel that at this juncture in time, what is commonly known as Ufology, is no more than one belief system in which is attempting to dominate that in western culture, what is viewed as organized religion? In other words, do you feel that main stream Ufology has perhaps become a religion in, and of itself?

What do you suggest it would take for highly credentialed researchers who have been conducting their research underground, to resurface?

What would you suggest that this field needs in order to interest young & bright minds?

What role would you consider, main stream media plays in the perpetuation of the E.T.H. mythos?

A really simple question (probably too simple): wouldn't it benefit UFOlogy to cease to exist and the study of all things unidentified and paranormal to be researched together? How much is the actual term "UFOlogy" itself a barrier to the study of unidentified objects?

Also, as a lesser question. Does Nick see differences between ufology in the US and other countries (say the UK?)?

Few questions/points for Nick:

In the English-speaking world, we mostly hear of paranormal events in these countries. Do you think or know if paranormal events are happening evenly across the world? Is it just due to the reporting infrastructure or culture that leads to us not hearing much from some parts of the world?

What is your opinion of the possible existence of 'portal areas'?

Do you think the Ufo phenomenon is just one single as-yet unidentified phenomena or there are multiple sources? (ET, military, trickster etc) Places like the Skinwalker Ranch cause me to question everything I ever thought I thought I knew about UFOs and it really muddies the water in terms of clarity for me.

In "The Future of Ufology," you said:

Can you imagine if the major UFO conference of the year in the United States had a group of speakers where the presentations were on alien-abductions and DMT; the Aleister Crowley-Lam controversy; Ufological synchronicities; and the UFO-occult connection?

Do you think such a conference might be feasible on a small scale and what speakers would you include in the line-up?

What elements of the occult do you find most interesting in relation to UFO phenomena?

Back