• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

New Listener Notes

zingaro

Paranormal Novice
Hi

I've just recently started getting into podcasts and the Paracast is the first I subscribed to. It certainly seems to be best-of-breed among paranormal podcasts, and I've enjoyed going through much of your backlog in the past few weeks (discovering, to my surprise, that I used to work with a friend of David's from a mention on one old episode).

I've been interested in these topics for quite a while now, so I thought I'd mention some of the more interesting writers and thinkers I've encountered, any or all of which I would love to hear interviewed on future episodes.

Remote viewing seems to come up pretty often in passing, and I'd be fascinated to hear more about it from Joe McMoneagle (perhaps the RV-er with the most impressive track record) and/or Skip Atwater (once head of the program, now president of The Monroe Institute, which would also make a great show topic).

Joscelyn Godwin is a hell of a fascinating guy -- a professor of music at Colgate who has also written on an eclectic (and eccentric) range of topics from ancient esoteric traditions to polar (and hollow earth) legends.

Speaking of eccentricity, John Michell is the author of the great "Eccentric Lives and Peculiar Notions," as well as books on the identity of Shakespeare, earth mysteries, and other Forteana. He also was the first, I think, to see the connection between UFO accounts and fairy folklore.

Peter Levenda wrote an interesting history of the occult roots of Nazism and an even more ambitious followup -- "Sinister Forces," a sort of unified field theory of American conspiracy theory in three volumes. Norman Mailer was a fan!

George B. Hansen may be known to Gene. His book "The Trickster and the Paranormal" offers a summing up of impressions and ideas from a long history of involvement in the UFO field, an attempt to see the "big picture" not only of the phenomena but also the various groups and factions that have grown up around it.

Patrick Harpur's "Daimonic Reality" is an interesting expansion of some of Jung's ideas on the subject of UFOs and other strange manifestations.

I think there were a couple others I wanted to plug but they've slipped my mind. Anyway, thanks for all the work you put into the show.

Hi

I've just recently started getting into podcasts and the Paracast is the first I subscribed to. It certainly seems to be best-of-breed among paranormal podcasts, and I've enjoyed going through much of your backlog in the past few weeks (discovering, to my surprise, that I used to work with a friend of David's from a mention on one old episode).

I've been interested in these topics for quite a while now, so I thought I'd mention some of the more interesting writers and thinkers I've encountered, any or all of which I would love to hear interviewed on future episodes.

Remote viewing seems to come up pretty often in passing, and I'd be fascinated to hear more about it from Joe McMoneagle (perhaps the RV-er with the most impressive track record) and/or Skip Atwater (once head of the program, now president of The Monroe Institute, which would also make a great show topic).

Joscelyn Godwin is a hell of a fascinating guy -- a professor of music at Colgate who has also written on an eclectic (and eccentric) range of topics from ancient esoteric traditions to polar (and hollow earth) legends.

Speaking of eccentricity, John Michell is the author of the great "Eccentric Lives and Peculiar Notions," as well as books on the identity of Shakespeare, earth mysteries, and other Forteana. He also was the first, I think, to see the connection between UFO accounts and fairy folklore.

Peter Levenda wrote an interesting history of the occult roots of Nazism and an even more ambitious followup -- "Sinister Forces," a sort of unified field theory of American conspiracy theory in three volumes. Norman Mailer was a fan!

George B. Hansen may be known to Gene. His book "The Trickster and the Paranormal" offers a summing up of impressions and ideas from a long history of involvement in the UFO field, an attempt to see the "big picture" not only of the phenomena but also the various groups and factions that have grown up around it.

Patrick Harpur's "Daimonic Reality" is an interesting expansion of some of Jung's ideas on the subject of UFOs and other strange manifestations.

I think there were a couple others I wanted to plug but they've slipped my mind. Anyway, thanks for all the work you put into the show.

Welcome to the family,zingaro! ;)

I've also suggested that Gene & Dave bring on Joe McMoneagle.Apparently,it didn't go over to well.Some of the people who replied to my suggestion seemed think that he lost all crediblility by writing a book of predictions (The Ultimate Time Machine).I'm not even sure any of them read that book,but that's different story.

I would also love to hear Skip Atwater on the Paracast.He could talk about everything from the history of the Remote Viewing program,to the excellent work Robert Monroe did in "OOBE" theory at The Monroe Institute.

I'm not even sure any of them read that book,but that's different story.

Read it. Own it. Ostrich burgers have not replaced hamburgers. I'd have him on just to ask him if remote viewing is as hit or miss as guessing, what use is it?

Well I haven't read that book either, but all of the remote viewers make the point that viewing the future is an even dicier proposition than scanning the past or present, since they seem to generally agree that the future is unfixed and becomes foggier the further out you go. Anyway, even if the book is bad, I think that's a silly reason to disregard his accomplishments.

:DI have devoured all of the shows and find them incredibly entertaining and informative, great to see some skeptical but open minded hosts who are informed and passionate. Big props to David for reading all the books no matter how silly the guest is.

I would recommend Alan Watt www.cuttingthroughthematrix.com

He is the best most level headed conspiracy researcher. He has quite a few things to say about the paracast and I think it would be an exceptional show.

Apoligies edit that I am sure he has never heard of the paracast but he is a lot to say about the paranormal, he is a critic of the entire UFO/new Age scene.

I like Alan Watt the late philosopher. Different than this kung fu guy I take it.

Speaking of reading books. I listened to the latest episode, and apparently David hasn't read Edgar Mitchell's The Way of the Explorer given things he said. I will mail it to him. If he sends it back someday. I promise it will reveal things you are curious about, but also open up more questions. It's a very good book though and even handed. Deals with a lot of stuff. You'll get a lot of things to talk about with him that others NEVER do.

Oh wait, I forgot two big ones: Dean Radin ("The Conscious Universe," "Entangled Minds") and Russell Targ ("Miracles of Mind").

Oh wait, I forgot two big ones: Dean Radin ("The Conscious Universe," "Entangled Minds") and Russell Targ ("Miracles of Mind").

Apparently,you've been stealing books from my bookshelf!:)

Here's a lecture by Dean Radin; Statistical evidence for Remote Viewing,Telepathy(Ganzfeld Experiment),Precognition etc.

That's cool, Cosmic E. What are some of your other favorites? Am always on the lookout for something new (to me) and decent.

That's cool, Cosmic E. What are some of your other favorites? Am always on the lookout for something new (to me) and decent.

Well,I don't really know what your main interests are,but here goes;

Ufo books:

Jacques Vallee: Passport to Magonia,Dimensions,Revelations,Challenge to Science,Confrontations - You get the idea..

Timothy Good: Above Top Secret,Alien Liaison.

Richard Haines: CE-5

Philip Imbrogno/J.A Hynek: Night Siege

Steven Greer: Et Contact

Richard Dolan: Ufos & the National Security State

Books on Altered States of Consciousness:

Robert A. Monroe: Journeys out of the Body,Far Journeys (and Hemi-Sync CD's)

Robert Bruce: Astral Dynamics (All you need to know about OBE)

Sylvan Muldoon: the Projection of the Astral Body (Classic from 1929)

Hal Puthoff: Mind Reach (probably the first book on RV)

Jim Schnabel: Remote Viewers (History of the RV program)

Maharishi M. Yogi: the Science of Being and the Art of Living,Bhagavad Gita (Commentary)

Fred Alan Wolf: the Dreaming Universe

Robert Jahn & Brenda Dunne: Margins of Reality (Pear Labs Research)

Here's some mind bending novel's as well:

Knut Hamsun: Hunger,Mysteries

Ayn Rand:The Fountainhead,Atlas Shrugged

Jack Kerouac: Big Sur,Visions of Gerrard,On the Road,The Dharma Bums

This list is by no means complete - but I tried to steer clear of the most obvious ones...;)

Enjoy!:)

Thanks for the list, CE. I certainly share your regard for many of those authors/books (especially Vallee, Schnabel on RV, Monroe and TMI, and Knut Hamsen). We part ways on Ayn Rand, cause I hate her with a passion, but such diversity is the cream in life's coffee I suppose.

Thanks for the list, CE. I certainly share your regard for many of those authors/books (especially Vallee, Schnabel on RV, Monroe and TMI, and Knut Hamsen). We part ways on Ayn Rand, cause I hate her with a passion, but such diversity is the cream in life's coffee I suppose.

I actually live in good ol' Kristiania - where the story of "Hunger" plays out.
I sympathise with main character ;)

I like Ayn Rands books because they challenge me to reevaluate things I have always taken for granted.My curiosity probably also comes from having grown up in a "Social-Democratic-Utopia" like Norway -where the Government is there with a handkerchief before you sneeze:D

I love writers who make me challenge my assumptions (Nietzsche and Deleuze come to mind), but in my opinion Rand's challenge is pretty cheap, easy, and dishonest. I really don't think it's much of a trick to convince readers that their pettiest impulses are in reality he noblest, or that they stand unique and mighty in a field of clones. So I think she appeals to something that's fundamentally pretty juvenile. But I'm sure cultural context makes a difference, and the US is increasingly less solicitous of the needs of its citizens when it comes to social issues as the years go by.

Also, there are plenty of writers I admire whose underlying ideology still strikes me as somewhat repulsive (Eliot, Dostoevsky...Hamsen!), but in each of those cases, there's a lot of other stuff going on in the work and there's a genuine tension and interplay of ideas. With AR, if you don't buy her line of thought, there's pretty much nothing left, since she writes horribly (though I would say her sex scenes are masterpieces of inadvertent comedy, kind of like the mating of drill presses).

These are just my opinions, so please don't take them personally.

As for TMI, I've been there three times and each experience was good (the first, in fact, was revelatory). Joe McMoneagle lives near the institute and stops by for some of the programs. He's a fascinating guy.

These are just my opinions, so please don't take them personally.

As for TMI, I've been there three times and each experience was good (the first, in fact, was revelatory). Joe McMoneagle lives near the institute and stops by for some of the programs. He's a fascinating guy.

I won't...it's HamsUn,by the way

Please dish!!:)

I'm extremely interested in Monroe and McMoneagle's work - as I'm sure you already know...

Back