• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

New Ghost-Hunting Equipment - Amazing if Real.

Goggs Mackay

Administrator
Staff member
I've been meaning to write this for a while and I'd like to say that my attitude to some ghost-hunting shows on TV has changed quite a bit. I think I'd written them all off unfairly, when probably a lot of the bad side is because of producers trying to get enough material for each show. And with that little disclaimer out of the way, I can guarantee that if you check out this information, and it's real, it'll blow your mind - it blew mine.

In the last decade, probably largely due to the internet, thousands of people worldwide nowadays get involved with paranormal research. In the U.S, there are hundreds of new paranormal investigation groups. This upsurge in interest has spawned a growing market in up-to-date paranormal research equipment.

I'm going to be writing about a few items that are available now, and I'll provide links for you to go straight to seeing this equipment being used to amazing effect. (I cannot of course vouch for the validity of any of this, but my gut instinct from seeing a lot of use on TV various programmes etc is that there really is something exciting and new going on.

In this thread I'm going to introduce 3 different pieces of ghost-hunting tech:

The SB-7 spiritbox.
The Ovilus.
Microsoft Kinect Body-Mapping hand-held rig.

SB-7 Spiritbox

This item is simply an am/fm radio that sweeps through radio frequencies quickly and the output is heard by speaker. The channel sweeping rate is of the order of around 4 different freq's per second.
The idea of course is that spirits can modify the radio signals and thereby communicate.
Of course if a voice comes through on a radio, anything heard intelligible can be put down to random words carried from radio stations surely? Well yes and no. No-one would try to claim that a couple of words, even relevant, is any proof of anything. But there are circumstances when I at least have to pay far more attention and give some credibility.

Bearing in mind the 'station' is changing every 1/4 sec, there are times when a whole sentence is heard, in the same voice, over multiple sweeps. Often a word actually encompasses two freqs, often broken somewhat but unmistakably a word. When you get short whole sentences covering 25 sweeps in the exact same voice, one cannot argue the random word explanation.
Also, these devices have been used behind lots of concrete, in Faraday cages etc - places where they should not be able to pick up any radio signals at all!
Answers to questions ask are often very relevant, in context and covering multiple radio sweeps. No-where near everything heard would be claimed paranormal but there are times when it does seem compelling.

In the following clip, forward to 30mins in and the host (Zac Bagans, Ghost Adventures) is asking who is speaking. They are in Salem and investigating the witch trials. When asked for a name, a voice replies 'Bridget' and then when asked for a surname, replies 'Bishop'. Which is the name of the first woman hung there for witchcraft.
I accept that this example is weak due to only being single words and not the greatest clarity. However, I am quite confident their ears are not playing tricks. There are countless examples to be found online of this device and I am claiming that sometimes it does appear to work. If I can remember an example that is stronger proof I will post later, because there certainly are those examples.

So, watch all or forward to 30mins exactly.

Microsoft Kinect Mapping

Easily my fav and the most compelling. The XBOX Kinect body-mapping system has been configured to work along with an I-pad style tablet, making it very portable. A pistol grip-style handle has a tablet on top and in front sits the Kinect system which shoots out multiple infrared beams which with the programming 'maps' objects of human shape. The same system knows where your hands are etc when playing games in the home. This is the same tech but employed to hopefully 'map' spirits when they are in some kind of physical form, but not a visual apparition.
Because this was pioneered by a real inventor/engineer, Bill Chappell, I have to admit I think this is for real, and it is by far the most amazing thing in paranormal research, if real.

In the example below, it is used in a well-known haunted hotel, the St James Hotel. At the end of a corridor, at an open hotel room door, the system maps the figure of a human man, when to our eyes, nobody is there!

But the real kicker is that the 'ghost' is asked to raise and arm and it does, right on cue!

Forward to 27mins exactly.

Ovilus

Not such a big fan of this piece of kit, it is still interesting enough to mention. I still don't know how it is supposed to work except that it is a small battery powered word database with a small screen. The idea is that researchers in the field are supposed to ask spirits questions and somehow by the spirit electro-magnetically manipulating the word database, it uses some of the 2000 words contained, to create an answer. The device does have speech synthesis so there is an audible Stephen Hawking-style voice that blurts out the 'answers' along with the words appearing on the small screen.

The device is at its' most interesting when it uses multiple relevant words, in order and on cue.

What is amazing is that some of the newer models have phoneme generators so that words not even programmed into the device can be made. So it appears that the device is made to speak words it was not programmed with. Alone that might not amount to much but when the device has been quiet for an hour but suddenly then gives a relevant answer on command, the chances of chance being the answer are much much smaller!

The following video is by a private ghost-hunting individual called Steve Huff who has a youtube channel and posts all his efforts using new equipment.

My purpose in creating this thread is hopefully to expose people to this stuff who were unaware and of course generate discussion as to the validity of any of it (I repeat that I cannot vouch for any of this but I feel there is some validity to some of it. I really dig the Kinect system!)

This reminds me of a SyFy episode, where John Zaffis is using a spirit box and it clearly says his last name. Zaffis says something like "I hate when that happens" -he did looked annoyed.
Always took this stuff with a grain of salt, but you never know.

This reminds me of a SyFy episode, where John Zaffis is using a spirit box and it clearly says his last name. Zaffis says something like "I hate when that happens" -he did looked annoyed.
Always took this stuff with a grain of salt, but you never know.

Well though Id love to meet him, his profession of collecting not nice objects and artifacts, would come back to get him sometime, if he ever slips

Well though Id love to meet him, his profession of collecting not nice objects and artifacts, would come back to get him sometime, if he ever slips
Or, as we used to joke around watching his program, that Zaffis would pick the most valuable antique in the home he was investigating, label it cursed, then offer to remove the item from the home into his personal collection.

There was a series I watched in the 80's called Friday the 13th the Series. Where a team of investigators would hunt cursed items that would fall into the wrong hands and used as a supernatural tool. Upon battling dark forces, the item would be placed in a protective vault among other such items. I wonder if the writers got the idea from the Warrens- Zaffis' aunt and uncle.

TE="Stagger Lee, post: 214238, member: 5846"]There was a series I watched in the 80's called Friday the 13th the Series. Where a team of investigators would hunt cursed items that would fall into the wrong hands and used as a supernatural tool. Upon battling dark forces, the item would be placed in a protective vault among other such items. I wonder if the writers got the idea from the Warrens- Zaffis' aunt and uncle.[/QUOTE]

Ive never heard of that show but the premise is almost identical to the show 'Warehouse 13' which Gene has mentioned a few times on the Paracast.

Did any of you watch the clip with the Xbox kinect setup? If for real, I think it is a quantum leap in parapsychological research. It's mind blowing to be seeing spirit-human forms that respond to requests.

If you haven't watched it yet, I personally guarantee you will find it worthwhile!

Just wanted to update this thread. The link regarding the kinect is now dead but the same episode can be found here.
Also, a version of Ovilus is available for the iphone (iOvilus) if anyone is interested in that. I've had some interesting experiences with it.

I have three so-called ghost or spirit boxes including the Ovilus.

Taking a few weeks off, to actually research, personally the EVP phenomenon, for the third time in three years, something I have often preached to those who have opinions yet to be educated, offered as facts...
rolleyes.png

The afterlife evidence of the EVP is persistent, the spirit/discarnate voices that are easily isolated by their direct answers to direct questions are without a doubt evidential in nature, as evidential as any medium-based proofs. Whether they be a word (name), style of death, etc. or received in phrases, the EVPs I am recording (hundreds on hundreds counting only the evidential ones), transmitted in cemeteries, homes, public places, everywhere just about (over 75 different locales), day and night, any weather...

The challenge for those who have ingrained belief systems that require a medium is to put those biases aside and to get off your butt and go find out for yourselves. Talking to researchers is bunk, opinions are theoretical musings, listening to groupings of Type C transmission from online sources is worthless; take action on your highest excitement without any anticipation of the results.

Or not. It's your choice.

I return you to your regular scheduled show...:D

They have the Kinect disconnet and connect when a "ghost" appears?
No? That could be a problem.

Users, Groff etc., Please disconnect and connect the Kinect in the Windows software “Kinect Studio” if there is a skeleton.
That needs only one or two seconds, and two clicks in "Kinect Studio".

I also had a stickman in Windows "Kinect Studio" after minutes in a living room on the big (to the ground) terrace windows. Disonnect and connect, and the stickman is “gone”.
Effort of a second and two clicks…
And Xbox users could do the same with the whole kinect. Or (crash?)?

Now we need a “ghost hunter” at known strongly haunting places, and if there appears a stickman, disconnect/connect.
And the redundancy of kinect in combination with thermal image, and over the area distributed EM meters with alert (for example “REM-Pods”).
And EVP recording at the same place.
If we could show that the Kinect can not be used for Ghost Huntung, this is also good. Busting this myth would not busting the existence of paranormal phenomenons, "Ghosts"...

And a second verification, two or more Kinect at the same time and place. Top/bottom.
If you see a "Ghost" over Kinect one, but not over kinect two, it seems like a error.

Btw., is it possible to flip the image horizontally?
It is mirrored.

Back