• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Myt light switch turned on by itsself but I know my apartment isn't haunted

Shea

Paranormal Novice
I had an interesting experience the other day in my apartment bedroom. After fixing myself a lunch in my kitchen, I went into my bedroom to grab a pillow (I use pillows to set my food on when I'm eating on the couch) and a blanket (my apartment is freezing and I'm too cheap to use the heat). My bedroom light was off and I'm sure of this because I remember looking at the miniscule amount of light coming through the crack between my bedroom window and the blanket I put over it to somewhat deter the the cold projecting on the wall. Once I grabbed the blanket and pillow my hands were full (I was carrying the plate of food also) so I couldn't even turn on the switch if I wanted to. A little later my girlfriend walked by my room and saw the light was on, jokingly yelling at me that I was wasting electricity. I didn't ever turn it on but the switch was flipped up.

Maybe it was because the fleece blanket I grabbed from my room had the largest static charge I've ever felt?:D

I'm digging the cheapness. :) I was thinking no big deal until you mentioned the switch was in the up position. Very odd. I wonder if anything significant happened around this time- perhaps a loved one going to the hospital or something like that. Keep us updated if anything else occurs.

Silly question but...do you have a resident cat?

I only ask because I had a cat that enjoyed turning the wall switches on and off all night.

I used to live in a house where my bedroom light randomly flipped itself on and off. Called an electrician, who discovered a simple electrical fault, which he easily fixed.

My parents' house had a ghost that enjoyed playing with the thermostat when people were there alone.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Silly question but...do you have a resident cat?

I only ask because I had a cat that enjoyed turning the wall switches on and off all night.

Nope, no cat. I don't think the explanation is paranormal though but it's curious how the switch went up by itself.

I'm digging the cheapness. :) I was thinking no big deal until you mentioned the switch was in the up position. Very odd. I wonder if anything significant happened around this time- perhaps a loved one going to the hospital or something like that. Keep us updated if anything else occurs.

That's interesting because my aunt was having surgery in the same town on that day but I'm not sure what time. She's fine but who knows what went on during the procedure. I'm not huge on ghosts as human spirits but I'm not ruling it out as a possible explanation for hauntings either so that's a possibility.

This is my first time writing to the forum. I have listened for quite some time though. It is good to hear of others who have weird experiences. I have had various experiences all my life but don't tell many people about them.

I had times when my light switches would go on by them selves. I would go to bed, making sure all the lights were off and when I got up, they would be on. Usually the kitchen light. I have cats but but there is no way they could turn on these lights. And it would come and go. There would be long periods of time between these occurrences. Then it would happen a couple of times, and stop.

What was more wierd, was that there were times when screws would be unscrewed. The screws holding door handles would be almost completely unscrewed. The screws in the bathroom tub drain would be almost completely unscrewed. None of them would be completely unscrewed, just to the point that they were barely holding the whatever they were securing. This would come and go. Has anyone else experienced this?

I don't know if my house is haunted. If it is, the ghost, or whatever, seems to be friendly. I do know that there seems to be an entity that has been with me all my life. When I was about four, it was my imaginary friend. My mom would aske me who I was talking to and playing with and I would say, "It is my love." I don't know where I even got that name at that age.

Anyway, that is enough for now. Maybe later I'll get into the weird stuff that has been comfirmed by others. It is just that there are so many expierences that I don't really know where to start. I guess I have already started.

Steve

My wife and I have had two different lights turn on/off in our master bedroom in a house we own in Westchester County, New York. This has happened only in our presence, as far as I can tell, not when we weren't in the room. One is a ceiling light and the other is a bedside lamp, and in each occasion you can hear the light switch mechanically 'flick' to the on or off position. I don't know if an electrical issue to causing the problem, but the house is less than ten years old and is built to code. Nothing else that is odd has ever occurred in the house.

My light turned on by itself...

Realist - I'll need to check my wiring
Paranormal Investigator - I'll need to grab my EMF
Psychic - I knew that was going to happen

My friend's ghost leaves little to question. Lately, he's been pulling on her jacket or shirt, hard.

Oh, wait, he could be the Invisible Man.

Or the invisible cat.

Nah, sometimes, a ghost is just a ghost. ;)

One of my aunts died a few years ago. She was 14 years older than me and we had been close when I was young. Her death was quick and unexpected. I was living in another state when she died. There was no funeral or memorial. A short time after she passed, the bathroom light would turn on by itself while my spouse and I were asleep. The hanging lamp next to my bed turned on a couple of times as well as the overhead light in the ceiling fan. Note - we had the light portion of the ceiling fan in the "off" position as we normally just used it for a fan. This stuff went on intermittently for a few months. My husband had worked as an electrician at one point in his life and he found nothing amiss with the switches. This aunt had always been afraid of the dark and kept lights on at her house all night.
My first cousin, the daughter of the deceased aunt's twin, was living a state away from me. She experienced pretty much the same as I did. One particularly creepy episode at her house was her standing at her kitchen counter talking to her non-believer husband and having her sleeve slowly pull up her arm by itself.
Also around this time, I had a dream about the aunt. I told my other aunt about it and described what my aunt had been wearing. The living aunt was amazed as I had described one of my deceased aunt's favorite outfits.
I think we live after death. We just don't know the details yet.

I don't know about your story. I beleive it's true but I'm not sure there isn't a mundane answer for most of it. At least the light switch thing. that being said I also believe in life after death. I'm not sure and I don't have a big dogma. I've read some things on reincarnation that I find provacative and had my own life experience which has molded the way I look at things. I also freely admit I hope we do live on because where there's Consciousness there is hope. The light switch could have been some kind of short in the wiring. Still the timing is interesting.

I don't know about your story. I beleive it's true but I'm not sure there isn't a mundane answer for most of it. At least the light switch thing. that being said I also believe in life after death. I'm not sure and I don't have a big dogma. I've read some things on reincarnation that I find provacative and had my own life experience which has molded the way I look at things. I also freely admit I hope we do live on because where there's Consciousness there is hope. The light switch could have been some kind of short in the wiring. Still the timing is interesting.

I would tend to think mundane answer usually too. But in my case, the lights involved 2 separate rooms and three different fixtures and were examined by an electrician. There was no cat involved or other animals. The fact my cousin had certain lights going on at her house in a similar fashion a state away makes me think "not mundane".
My thought on life after death is this: we are supposedly made of energy. When we die, the energy goes somewhere. Exactly where, I don't know but death is not the end.

Back