• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

My ufo sighting last night

Derek Wood

Skilled Investigator
Hi guys. Fishing on the river tyne in northern England last night. Facing the west. Took a picture to put on my fishing forum and noticed this odd series of lights. Think this is an artefact? Thy are different colours and look really structured. You will notice the two distinct green lights. I almost thought it reminded me of the Star Trek enterprise shaped hull. Really odd. Nothing like this in the pic. Wind was quite strong blowing from the west. Few spots of light rain.
71bc380f8af37b77e4f6811e21206180.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly i didnt see them at the moment of the photograph. Chris what do you think it is a reflection of? Im inclined to believe its explainable via conventional means but id love to know what has caused this. The colour and positioning seems very unusual. Ive taken lots of pics when fishing and never had something like this

What model camera and flash are you using? How long was the exposure for this shot?

Are there any visual barriers, surfaces, or objects that were near the camera or in its line of sight at the time of he shot?

Ask fishing friends if anyone saw a blimp or anything odd in the sky that night.

You said it was windy right? How windy was it (actual speed that night) and those are fireworks in the distance?

The only thing that comes to mind, and let me be clear i am not trying to debunk this one

Maybe.... rain in the lense reflecting/refracting lights in the background.

strong winds on a water course perhaps spray or rain might be an answer.

Though to be honest i have my doubts it could be that, just tossing up ideas

Hi Burnt State. IPhone 6. Standard picture with no adjustments. The wind was gusting but nothing unusual despite the "weather bomb" forecast. Pretty standard for this time of year. No fireworks at all. Im a bit confused perhaps thinking it is water in the lense but it looks to be genuinely in the middle distance to me

I see this sort of reflection when shooting in dark bars all the time, my camera will superimpose stage lights over the image i am shooting and it will show up on the print or digital file as you can see in the middle of the photo below. It is probably picking up the city lights and reflecting them in the lens. OR it could be a UFO.
reflection.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was suddenly reminded of the bright triangular ufo videos that people were picking up with their early video cameras, hi8's etc. and was wondering if this was an internal artifact from the lens and....

"The latest iPhone 6 still exhibits a refraction dot (an artifact of small plastic lenses, shown below) that can be distracting in photos, particularly in sunsets and in low light scenes with a bright light source. Overall, low light photos are very challenging on mobile devices, and iPhone 6 offers only minor improvements here over the already impressive iPhone 5s camera. It also carries forward the True Tone flash, which is often far more effective at lighting a subject than a typical LED lamp."

In-depth review: Apple's 4.7-inch iPhone 6 running iOS 810563-2877-6Artifacting-l.png

I was suddenly reminded of the bright triangular ufo videos that people were picking up with their early video cameras, hi8's etc. and was wondering if this was an internal artifact from the lens and....

"The latest iPhone 6 still exhibits a refraction dot (an artifact of small plastic lenses, shown below) that can be distracting in photos, particularly in sunsets and in low light scenes with a bright light source. Overall, low light photos are very challenging on mobile devices, and iPhone 6 offers only minor improvements here over the already impressive iPhone 5s camera. It also carries forward the True Tone flash, which is often far more effective at lighting a subject than a typical LED lamp."

In-depth review: Apple's 4.7-inch iPhone 6 running iOS 810563-2877-6Artifacting-l.png
BINGO. good one Burnt.

Back