• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

My one and only what I would call a True UFO sighting

5tomidnite

Paranormal Maven
Years ago my mother and I were returning from a trip to my grandparent's when my Mom pulled over to get a better look at something strange she saw in the sky. She pointed out to me what she said was a nuts and bolts "spaceship". I only saw a luminescent light phenomena speeding away in the sky. I wouldn't call it a craft but she says it was clearly a physical vessel.

She saw it for a longer period than I did so she may have seen details I hadn't. However what I find really odd about it is that when I recall the event it feels like something is preventing me from remembering it properly or more specifically like a screen is being placed between me and what I'm looking at so I can't see it properly. I don't know if that is a feature of UFO sightings but it seems odd to me that my mother doesn't report the same experience when she recalls the sighting.

Years ago my mother and I were returning from a trip to my grandparent's when my Mom pulled over to get a better look at something strange she saw in the sky. She pointed out to me what she said was a nuts and bolts "spaceship". I only saw a luminescent light phenomena speeding away in the sky. I wouldn't call it a craft but she says it was clearly a physical vessel.

She saw it for a longer period than I did so she may have seen details I hadn't. However what I find really odd about it is that when I recall the event it feels like something is preventing me from remembering it properly or more specifically like a screen is being placed between me and what I'm looking at so I can't see it properly. I don't know if that is a feature of UFO sightings but it seems odd to me that my mother doesn't report the same experience when she recalls the sighting.

Interesting that two different people had two different observations on the same sighting, this phenomenondoes turn up from time to time, so it may not have had anything to do with total observational time or a hazy memory ?

Interesting that two different people had two different observations on the same sighting, this phenomenondoes turn up from time to time, so it may not have had anything to do with total observational time or a hazy memory ?

Yes it is interesting if nothing else.

That's good to know. Does it mean anything?

Well one way to look at it, is that any interaction one has with all things paranormal is that you get out of it what you put into it, it's a give and take interaction and the results are based upon what you expect to see. Chris has mentioned such things and Jung spoke of it as well. But in order for this to be considered I suppose that one would have to be open to the theory that some ufos and others things we consider paranormal are extensions of our psyche (the trickster aspect) and less so an outer space visitor

Both ufology and mike have brought up alien technology as a possible answer and that your reception of such things may be programmed by the aliens themselves...by whatever means and method the aliens are manipulating our perceptions. One persons nuts and bolts is another persons ball of light, This sounds interesting to me because you do see such attempts at such manipulation in our society today, albeit in more primitive form, so why shouldn't a more advanced civilization be able to take it to the nth degree, my only quibble is that I would argue if anyone was doing this to us they would be terrestrial in nature more than extraterestrial as such beings would have much more to gain or loose from their apparent manipulations than any civilization on the other side of the universe. Although in your case I would wonder why these aliens would micromanage the experience and have two people an arms length from each other have different experiences, perhaps the answer lies in both column a and column b, the aliens or the trickster are merely the messenger and you supply the message. I may be wrong on this but I think I have heard cases on multiple party bigfoot sightings where some people reported seeing a being that more resembled one of those dogman types, now assuming these people weren't under the influence of something and considering that in everyday mundane events such as car accidents you get different accounts of events , I'd say the discrepancies of accounts between both your moms and yourself is par for the course

Well one way to look at it, is that any interaction one has with all things paranormal is that you get out of it what you put into it, it's a give and take interaction and the results are based upon what you expect to see. Chris has mentioned such things and Jung spoke of it as well. But in order for this to be considered I suppose that one would have to be open to the theory that some ufos and others things we consider paranormal are extensions of our psyche (the trickster aspect) and less so an outer space visitor

Both ufology and mike have brought up alien technology as a possible answer and that your reception of such things may be programmed by the aliens themselves...by whatever means and method the aliens are manipulating our perceptions. One persons nuts and bolts is another persons ball of light, This sounds interesting to me because you do see such attempts at such manipulation in our society today, albeit in more primitive form, so why shouldn't a more advanced civilization be able to take it to the nth degree, my only quibble is that I would argue if anyone was doing this to us they would be terrestrial in nature more than extraterestrial as such beings would have much more to gain or loose from their apparent manipulations than any civilization on the other side of the universe. Although in your case I would wonder why these aliens would micromanage the experience and have two people an arms length from each other have different experiences, perhaps the answer lies in both column a and column b, the aliens or the trickster are merely the messenger and you supply the message. I may be wrong on this but I think I have heard cases on multiple party bigfoot sightings where some people reported seeing a being that more resembled one of those dogman types, now assuming these people weren't under the influence of something and considering that in everyday mundane events such as car accidents you get different accounts of events , I'd say the discrepancies of accounts between both your moms and yourself is par for the course

Well I don't think we were abducted and there was no loss of time with the experience so I don't think of it as an "alien contact" experience. I think that we saw something unusual that we can't explain. My biggest curiosity is that while I can remember it, it's like something at best halfheartedly doesn't want me to really dwell on it.

It's my predisposition to chalk it up to "trickster" phenomena but I'm curious to see if maybe I'm wrong about it and it might not be...well abductee phenomena or maybe a military vehicle with some new kind of camouflage feature or something. Hell I would be curious to even know if their is natural phenomenon that produces this effect. I'm not wedded to any explanation.

you mentioned this happened years ago, have you every brought it up with your mom ? do you know if her recall of any details seemed to be blocked as well?

you mentioned this happened years ago, have you every brought it up with your mom ? do you know if her recall of any details seemed to be blocked as well?

In fact I discussed it with her yesterday. She says her memory of the details of the event has faded with time but she experiences no blocks. We were able to confirm that what we saw was the same shape but she maintains she saw a nuts and bolts craft while to me it was still just a luminescent phenomena.

Do you remember being scared or anything? A lot of times our brains will block out things that caused us severe anxiety or mental pain or anguish. That could be why you feel like you have a "block". I don't know what I think about hypnotherapy but maybe that's a route you can try?

Do you remember being scared or anything? A lot of times our brains will block out things that caused us severe anxiety or mental pain or anguish. That could be why you feel like you have a "block". I don't know what I think about hypnotherapy but maybe that's a route you can try?

I was excited at the prospect that it could be an alien craft. At that point in my life I knew nothing about abductees and all the UFO fiction I was exposed to tended towards benign aliens like Superman or Mork from Ork. In my mind alien encounters were at worst a mystery and at best a potentially up lifting experience. Also this is my only "blocked" memory experience. I'm of the personality type that faces fears and challenges head on. I'm not saying I always succeed but I don't block things out. I tend instead to over analyze them. Also oddly enough I remember my memories of remembering the experience clearly enough. I could draw what I saw because I drew it right after I got home so I could try and confirm it with my mother.

I am willing to entertain some more mundane explanation to my "block".

I was excited at the prospect that it could be an alien craft. At that point in my life I knew nothing about abductees and all the UFO fiction I was exposed to tended towards benign aliens like Superman or Mork from Ork. In my mind alien encounters were at worst a mystery and at best a potentially up lifting experience. Also this is my only "blocked" memory experience. I'm of the personality type that faces fears and challenges head on. I'm not saying I always succeed but I don't block things out. I tend instead to over analyze them. Also oddly enough I remember my memories of remembering the experience clearly enough. I could draw what I saw because I drew it right after I got home so I could try and confirm it with my mother.

I am willing to entertain some more mundane explanation to my "block".

Sometimes a UFO will be seen quite clearly by one person and not seen at all by others also present. This happened to a friend of mine when he was about 15. He, his father, and his father's friend had been deer hunting, and returned to their car at dusk. The car was parked near the Delaware River, and my friend saw a cigar-shaped UFO slowly glide up the river, close to the water. The UFO was faintly glowing blue. It stopped directly over the middle of the river and he watched it for a moment, then it zipped straight up and out of sight. The oddest part of this sighting is that the other two hunters present didn't see it. I asked my father's friend about the event years later, and he said he didn't see anything. This happened around 1959, and the man had been a Marine pilot in World War II, so he knew something about identifying aircraft. My friend said there was no possibility that what he saw could be explained by conventional means. He was not interested in UFOs or the paranormal then or now. The bottom line is that your paranormal experience of the same event may be different from your mother's.

Sometimes a UFO will be seen quite clearly by one person and not seen at all by others also present. This happened to a friend of mine when he was about 15. He, his father, and his father's friend had been deer hunting, and returned to their car at dusk. The car was parked near the Delaware River, and my friend saw a cigar-shaped UFO slowly glide up the river, close to the water. The UFO was faintly glowing blue. It stopped directly over the middle of the river and he watched it for a moment, then it zipped straight up and out of sight. The oddest part of this sighting is that the other two hunters present didn't see it. I asked my father's friend about the event years later, and he said he didn't see anything. This happened around 1959, and the man had been a Marine pilot in World War II, so he knew something about identifying aircraft. My friend said there was no possibility that what he saw could be explained by conventional means. He was not interested in UFOs or the paranormal then or now. The bottom line is that your paranormal experience of the same event may be different from your mother's.

Cool story. Also that is the explanation I've come to accept.

Cool story. Also that is the explanation I've come to accept.
Now for my personal UFO sighting: It was in the late 1980s, when I worked in Manhattan and walked my dog each night after dinner around 8 PM, sometimes for quite a long time. It was cool out, probably autumn. I was walking with my dog near my town's municipal complex. I was right next to the board of education building, and only about 100 yards from the police station. It was a clear night. Suddenly, from the east, a flaming black object appeared in the sky, heading to the west. It was about the size of a UPS truck, and I couldn't see any features on the thing - it was just a black object, with flaming sparks flying off it in various colors. It was low in the sky, perhaps 1,000 feet up. It quickly disappeared to the west, over the ridge. At the time, I thought of walking to the police station and reporting it. However, I thought again, and decided not to. I didn't want the cops to think I was crazy, I guess, and I rationalized the sighting as just "space junk" falling down. If it had been space junk that large, there would have been all kinds of alarms, and there was nothing, and nothing the next day in the media. If it had been space junk, it would have destroyed a few houses when it landed, too. If the thing was actually falling, it would have landed somewhere in this crowded NY metro area and caused quite a stir, and it would have struck the hillside rather than going over it. What the hell was it?

Now for my personal UFO sighting: It was in the late 1980s, when I worked in Manhattan and walked my dog each night after dinner around 8 PM, sometimes for quite a long time. It was cool out, probably autumn. I was walking with my dog near my town's municipal complex. I was right next to the board of education building, and only about 100 yards from the police station. It was a clear night. Suddenly, from the east, a flaming black object appeared in the sky, heading to the west. It was about the size of a UPS truck, and I couldn't see any features on the thing - it was just a black object, with flaming sparks flying off it in various colors. It was low in the sky, perhaps 1,000 feet up. It quickly disappeared to the west, over the ridge. At the time, I thought of walking to the police station and reporting it. However, I thought again, and decided not to. I didn't want the cops to think I was crazy, I guess, and I rationalized the sighting as just "space junk" falling down. If it had been space junk that large, there would have been all kinds of alarms, and there was nothing, and nothing the next day in the media. If it had been space junk, it would have destroyed a few houses when it landed, too. If the thing was actually falling, it would have landed somewhere in this crowded NY metro area and caused quite a stir, and it would have struck the hillside rather than going over it. What the hell was it?

I will say that I think that UFOs have many sources. The bulk of them are misidentified "mundane" objects or phenomena. The rest in my mind can still have many sources be they nuts and bolts crafts; as yet undocumented natural phenomenon; or possibly some kind of "extra physical" constructs or phenomenon.

If what you saw had crashed as you thought it might, I would have guessed it was a piece of space junk that got by the "radar". Apparently that happens. If you remember a one hundred feet across meteor snuck passed the early warning system in December.

What I will also say is that since I wasn't present for the event and have not undertaken an investigation into it I can only say that you saw a UFO (unidentified flying object) in its purest sense.

Or a lot of words to say "I don't know" :p

Back