• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

My First Ban!

Gene Steinberg said:
Since this board was set up in 2006, we have banned maybe a dozen or two members, either for disrupting the forums (you know who they are) or spamming the board. That's not a large figure by any means, and I think others encounter worse difficulties. Tom was simply reminding would-be vandals that we aren't going to accept such behavior. There are three of us monitoring the boards now, so there are very few hours where it isn't being observed constantly.

At the same time, I know we can depend on the rest of you to let us know if something is amiss here.

We're not mightier than anyone -- just telling it like it is.

Not a lot of bans considering there isn't rules posted that I'm aware of. Most forums have rules posted. Most people don't read them though:)

Tom should feel mighty. He got to be forum moderator over me. I offered long ago, since I'm here more than most it seems. Guess it's my pretty face. No one would feel any wrath via my avatar pic.

A.LeClair said:
Not a lot of bans considering there isn't rules posted that I'm aware of. Most forums have rules posted. Most people don't read them though:)

Tom should feel mighty. He got to be forum moderator over me. I offered long ago, since I'm here more than most it seems. Guess it's my pretty face. No one would feel any wrath via my avatar pic.

Tom is not the first or the last, so there is hope for you my friend, despite the picture :)

A.LeClair said:
Most forums have rules posted. Most people don't read them though:)

I left AboveTopSecret because their forum rules are Draconian...and many users will cloud the topic of discussion by reporting you to the moderators for breaking some obscure forum rule. Too many rules become a form of censorship...

Rick Deckard said:
I left AboveTopSecret because their forum rules are Draconian...and many users will cloud the topic of discussion by reporting you to the moderators for breaking some obscure forum rule. Too many rules become a form of censorship...

I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of the way our friends at AboveTopSecret run their service. But they own the real estate so they can do what they want.

We try to be mostly casual about such things. We'll censor vulgar language, when we find it, because of the fact that the show is carried on terrestrial radio. But otherwise, we'll let you listeners express your thoughts.

But spamming, abusive content, etc., will be blocked by deleting messages and banning the offenders, where necessary.

Gene Steinberg said:
I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of the way our friends at AboveTopSecret run their service. But they own the real estate so they can do what they want.

Well, I got a warning for using this avatar and had to remove it:

BR26354.gif

It was deemed to be 'offensive'...apparently someone had complained.

I also got several warnings for 'over quoting'...which was pretty pathetic actually as my response would have been meaningless without the quoted text...

Thanks for the answers! I thought that I had read posts with links, but I just wanted to make sure. I think I understand what you are all saying about real spam.
I just don't want to make any newbie errors, but in light of what you've all said, I would probably be warned first, at any rate. : )

Rick Deckard said:

I noticed the same thing too, though I'm not sure what you mean by Draconian. I haven't posted there much. I do like the sticky they have on the Internet ego, or whatever it's called. I thought about linking it to my profile.

Jeff has his own forum there now.

Gene Steinberg said:

We try to be mostly casual about such things. We'll censor vulgar language, when we find it, because of the fact that the show is carried on terrestrial radio. But otherwise, we'll let you listeners express your thoughts.

But spamming, abusive content, etc., will be blocked by deleting messages and banning the offenders, where necessary.

Funny, I typed in the name of Penn and Teller's show and only censored one letter thinking that would be good enough. Later I saw 3 letters were censored out. Not sure if a mod did that or it's just a built-in censor with the forums here.

A.LeClair said:
Funny, I typed in the name of Penn and Teller's show and only censored one letter thinking that would be good enough. Later I saw 3 letters were censored out. Not sure if a mod did that or it's just a built-in censor with the forums here.

I think the word censors are a waste of time...

Rick Deckard said:

BR26354.gif

I also got several warnings for 'over quoting'...which was pretty pathetic actually as my response would have been meaningless without the quoted text...

Ah yes, the over quoting rule. That is one of the reasons I don't post much there. I forgot about that. I don't have the knack down for editing out quotes, yet keeping all the neccesary tags in there. Plus snipping takes things out of context. It's hard to know when too much is too much.

There's so much to read there, who has time to post anyway....

Maybe tell whoever that you are offended that they are offended by your avatar. Wonder what their response would be.

A.LeClair said:
Maybe tell whoever that you are offended that they are offended by your avatar. Wonder what their response would be.

Apparently, one of the (very many) rules regarding avatars on AboveTopSecret.com is that you *can* have a character holding an offensive weapon but it *musn't be pointing out of the screen* because other members might feel 'intimidated' by it - when I was pulled up about mine, I spent 10 minutes collecting examples of other avatars (some owned by the moderators themselves) that also fell into that category. No dice, mine had to go, theirs could stay. That was another peeve - inconsistent application of the forum rules...

...oh well, I'm over it now...just. ;)

Rick Deckard said:

BR26354.gif

Why would Blade Runner be offensive to "Above Top Secret"???

I like ATS pretty much, but personally, I never received nearly the kind of cognitive discussions which take place here. Many of the threads are just dead in the water. I posted a comment months ago on the Phoenix lights, and last I checked, no response. It's big and with lots of members, and so for me, it's more like talking in a crowded hallway, versus sitting around a campfire.

I also find it overwhelming and disorganized, but that's probably a preference thing. In any event, none of that has anything to do with draconian style forum moderators, but well, we can add it to the list ;)

Ankhes said:
...I just don't want to make any newbie errors...

I personally don't really believe in the term "newbie" anymore. I remember using it back in the 80s, on the old BBoards, pre-emerging internet. You sort of had to "earn" your respect amongst the elders, I suppose. Someone owned a server, and you had to dial in...You had to get approved as a member, and often times, there was a usage fee associated with being a member. Back then, chatting in a forum was a little more techie than it is now. Frankly, none of us are "newbies". I was a newbie on that Commodor 64 back in 1985. If you'd just awoken from a coma, and had never seen a mouse before, than you're a "newbie". But Ankhes, sir, you are a forum member who participates in a number of forums on the internet, and probably on multiple topics, with a multitude of people. A newbie, you are not.

Tom Levine said:
I personally don't really believe in the term "newbie" anymore. I remember using it back in the 80s, on the old BBoards, pre-emerging internet. You sort of had to "earn" your respect amongst the elders, I suppose. Someone owned a server, and you had to dial in...You had to get approved as a member, and often times, there was a usage fee associated with being a member. Back then, chatting in a forum was a little more techie than it is now. Frankly, none of us are "newbies". I was a newbie on that Commodor 64 back in 1985. If you'd just awoken from a coma, and had never seen a mouse before, than you're a "newbie". But Ankhes, sir, you are a forum member who participates in a number of forums on the internet, and probably on multiple topics, with a multitude of people. A newbie, you are not.

I'm a she, but that's okay! I guess you are right. What I actually meant was that I am not very good with pc's except for the most basic functions and I am not up on all the rules and terminology that I see used in forums. I almost never understand an anagram unless it is very simple, ie IMO, IIRC, and LOL. Maybe "newbie" was not quite the right term to use. :)

Ankhes said:
I'm a she, but that's okay! I guess you are right. What I actually meant was that I am not very good with pc's except for the most basic functions and I am not up on all the rules and terminology that I see used in forums. I almost never understand an anagram unless it is very simple, ie IMO, IIRC, and LOL. Maybe "newbie" was not quite the right term to use. :)

Sometimes I think that we're being overwhelmed with jargon for no good purpose. But we have that in the paranormal field too, alas :(

Gene Steinberg said:
Tom is not the first or the last, so there is hope for you my friend, despite the picture :)

A.LeClair, I can recommend a plastic surgeon in your area. Or, at the very least, get a copy of Photoshop! :) :) :)

musictomyears said:
A.LeClair, I can recommend a plastic surgeon in your area. Or, at the very least, get a copy of Photoshop! :) :) :)

I sexy. Don't mess with perfection.

I occasionally get asked if the pic is a photo shopped version of me (it isn't). Not good. Especially considering I used this pic at an online dating site....

A.LeClair said:
I sexy. Don't mess with perfection.

I occasionally get asked if the pic is a photo shopped version of me (it isn't). Not good. Especially considering I used this pic at an online dating site....

Post the full-size version of the pic...

Back