• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

My Economic Breakdown of the Dollar and Federal Reserve

Free episodes:

cottonzway

I was saying boo-urns
I have been beating people over the head here for probably over a year on the economy. It’s been the topic more then anything in my free-time outside of my normal hobbies I have taken an interest towards. Usually I rant and rave about things that matter to me because I don’t know how to articulate myself well enough while at the same time keeping my emotions in check. I’m a fiery person when I care about something. My own facts get confused with ranting and rhetoric that I cause often myself. I can be my own worst enemy trying to put my views out and often stick my foot in my own mouth. The economic breakdown, the tanking dollar, and the global impact on it all. So here is my breakdown on why I feel this way and why I see our monetary policy being the single most important issue on this planet.

The facts are more diffuse: the banks got greedy with sub-prime and credit default swaps, derivatives, and feeding off other consumer credit bubbles like in the credit card market. Moody's and S&P played along, allowing near-junk bonds to be rated AA or AAA. The Federal Reserve encouraged the greed with the low interest rates and the SEC looked the other way on regulation.

At the federal level, consumer spending is 70% of GDP, personal savings are at an all time low, inflation is at a 17-year high, consumer confidence is shot, the housing market is tanking, and credit card defaults are rising; the Bush tax cuts and record spending mean the US government is now terminally bankrupt in the long-term, and the states are hitting record shortfalls.

And more and more...Add to that the factors of ending of the Yen carry trade, the Chinese currency being artificially low, the massive and growing trade deficits, the sinking dollar...Hell, we know the PPT is already involved trying to prop up the markets since late 2006.

It's the product of banks and their associate players who got too greedy exploiting a debt market that became far more profitable than capital infrastructure investment; and dealing poorly with a rapidly changing international economy where US supremacy is no longer guaranteed.

The dollar controls such a vast portion of the global economy that it’s failure is really a global failure. Money runs the world, regardless of how heartless that sounds it is true as the sun being there tomorrow morning. It’s failure without significant time for the rest of the world to bail out will lead to desperate times on a global scale. Desperation brings upon the worst decisions by human beings. It’s the concerns about our own economy that many fail to consider. The global impact.

My own personal views are we are already not only broke and bankrupt, but totally insolvent. I say that not because of the reactions of economic pundits, but understanding now how Central Banking works and who is the core global Central Bank and what they say on the issue. That would be the BIS (Bank for International Settlements) who sets the policy for all Central Banks, including our Federal Reserve. Spend a few hours on their site (www.bis.org) and see just how uneasy you feel about the dollar and the Federal Reserve from the eyes of those who set their polices.

The Federal Reserve is kind of a joke to me because of it’s name. There is nothing Federal about it and there sure as hell are no reserves. It’s private no different then any business and loans money to the US government at interest. It’s the core reason why we are in this financial crisis. There is a good reason why they stopped the M-3 money index on March 23, 2006. They don’t have to show the amount of dollars in circulation and don’t have to show going forward fully what they are printing. You know what that means to you? Hyper-Inflation.

I have tried to get people excited about Ron Paul because of this very reason and some people took towards it. Is it enough? No as Obama is going to walk in to office. He is the only person willing to admit what is going on and directly address it. He comes from the Austrian School of Economics. The simple way to explain that is your currency needs to be back by something. Is that a gold standard? Maybe, at least partially. Hell, we had that until George Shultz and Paul Volcker decided to help destroy the Breton-Woods system in 1971. Nobody else though, right or left addresses monetary policy at all. It’s going to cost us both figuratively and literally.

I guess that’s it. I think I made my points. Not much else to say but many of you need to wake the hell up about what is going on without economy and address it accordingly. It’s not a political issue as much as it is daily livelihood issue. All indications point to this whole system falling at some point without a correction to it. This is the topic that will start wars and cause riots one day if people can’t afford to eat. It needs to be addressed and it’s not properly being done enough people. Please carefully read this and look at what I am saying. I am only speaking on this because it needs to be a topic among people in a very serious manner and I hope to start it among our small corner of the web on The Paracast.

Thanks for reading all of this.

cottonzway said:
Not much else to say but many of you need to wake the hell up about what is going on without economy and address it accordingly.

I think the problem arises from most american's (and I include myself in this category) ignorance about things like financial markets, commodities, the banking system, and how they all interact.

For instance, here's my understanding of inflation:

The Federal reserve sets the lending rates for banks. When you see a federal reserve rate that's the rate banks pay when borrowing dollars for the federal reserve (and all banks must have a certain amount of cash on hand for their customers).

When the rate is high banks are slower to lend money out. They are also paying a higher rate on each dollar. This is the main mechanism by which the Federal Reserve pulls dollars back out of the economy, and by so doing each available dollar increases somewhat in value since fewer are in circulation.

On the other hand, when rates are low banks borrow more dollars and are less stingy about lending them out. This puts more dollars in to circulation but also causes inflation (meaning each dollar is worth somewhat less because there are so many floating around in the global economy).

Now . . . is inflation really that simple?

Probably not, but that's the best model I have to work with. Am I too blind to 'wake the hell up' about the economy, or am I simply too busy to pursue a doctorate in global economics?

I don't think it's a matter of people being asleep. I think it's a matter of us putting faith in leaders that don't deserve it and them screwing us over.

I guess that’s it. I think I made my points. Not much else to say but many of you need to wake the hell up about what is going on without economy and address it accordingly. It’s not a political issue as much as it is daily livelihood issue.

Sounds a lot like the lectures my Dad used to give.

Is there something you're doing that you're not telling us? Would you give some direction other than spending a few hours on some website? I'm not going to claim to know more about the economy than you do, but I'm also not about to just buy someone's assessment of the situation at face value just because I read it on some board.

If you want people to do something about a failing economy you have to do better than "Vote for Ron Paul" and "Look at this website." If people are really the morons you think they are, deal with that.

DBTrek said:
Now . . . is inflation really that simple?

Part 3 of The Zeitgeist Movie has a very clear explanation of how inflation works and how it puts the whole US Economy into an ever-growing debt that can never be repaid...

...I'd be interested to here if it goes against anyone's understanding of how inflation works.

Channels lance corp jones

"Dont panic , dont panic"

they "found" another 200 billion

http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0307/euro.html

Tony2013 said:
I guess that’s it. I think I made my points. Not much else to say but many of you need to wake the hell up about what is going on without economy and address it accordingly. It’s not a political issue as much as it is daily livelihood issue.

Sounds a lot like the lectures my Dad used to give.

Is there something you're doing that you're not telling us? Would you give some direction other than spending a few hours on some website? I'm not going to claim to know more about the economy than you do, but I'm also not about to just buy someone's assessment of the situation at face value just because I read it on some board.

If you want people to do something about a failing economy you have to do better than "Vote for Ron Paul" and "Look at this website." If people are really the morons you think they are, deal with that.

I highly doubt I sound like your father.

Am I doing something I’m not tell you? Nope. I’m just concerned about a epidemic that will effect us all. I am not really sure what you want me to say though. You made it seem like all I said was I was on a website for a few hours and expect you to take my view at face value.

First off, I sure hope you don’t take me at face value. There is enough shit on the internet that isn’t worth your time reading it once let alone considering to research the claims. The thing is I think, check that, I KNOW I put forth much very detailed information here. I wasn’t vague at all and infact gave example after example as to why I feel we are in this situation. Check everything I said. Consumer spending is 70% GDP, personal savings are at an all-time low, inflation is at a 17-year high, the housing market is taking, consumer confidence is shot, Yen Carry trade is over, the PTT (Plunge Protection Team) is artificially pumping billions into the market to get them above water and M-3 money aggregate that shows printed money and circulated money is no longer public. So on and so on.

My points about Ron Paul sadly are past tense. We as a country fucked up there. He is the only one to take on the monetary system and the whores of the whore house in Bernanke, Greenspan, and Volker. That ship has said as idiot Republicans decide to support John McCain who is mentally ill and the left is going to put in the “Yes We Can!” cult leader in that fraud Obama (Hillary is DONE!). President Obama is a whore the Fed. He won’t say anything so we will continue the PROBLEM of our monetary system until the imminent economy crash.

I don’t have the solutions. I am only trying to get people aware of the problem. We as a country, as a society, and as a world need dialog on this. I am only one man trying to start that here. I am not some vanguard or claiming to be. I’m not going to “deal” with a global economic meltdown just because many people are idiots. I’m no different and not special as everything I have is based on this economy not falling flat on it’s face. I am not asking you to “believe” me but if you research it and find it to be true then to start the dialog yourself with others.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak.

And I was trying to take you seriously too. Blah.

Here's betting that after McCain/Obama finish their term and the imminent collapse of the economy has not occurred you don't come back to apologize for slinging ditto-headesque terms and practicising alarmism. You don't start a reasonable conversation by calling people whores and idiots.

If the American Dollar continues to loose value, pretty soon the General "Free"wheeling Chit-Chat section of the Paracast Discussion Forums might just have to change it's name to the General "Pay"wheeling Chit-Chat of the Paracast Discussion Forums.

DBTrek said:
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak.

And I was trying to take you seriously too. Blah.

Here's betting that after McCain/Obama finish their term and the imminent collapse of the economy has not occurred you don't come back to apologize for slinging ditto-headesque terms and practicising alarmism. You don't start a reasonable conversation by calling people whores and idiots.

So out of all of that you focused on my view on the presidential canidates and the "words" I sued to voice my view? And you call me weak? That means me calling idiot republicans who are going to support a lunatic for the GOP and calling Obama awhore for the business class and also mocking his cult makes all of the info I posted not legit?

Get your shine box.....

There's a change coming, cottonsway. If anyone has missed it, he rides a bike or a horse instead of buying fuel for his car. He eats off his own land rather than shopping at the grocery store where prices have risen, some frightfully so. He hasn't applied for a home loan recently either. Money is no longer easy to come by. He doesn't read the a newspaper nor does he ride the viral wave for news sources. Two small bank closings recently. Oh, yeah, it's the tip of something much larger. Just what that will be remains to be seen.

The Great Depression created a huge gap between the middle class and the wealthy, the latter of the two becoming much more wealthy, something not focused on in historical perspectives. The middle class became the new poor. Bubbles were created and when they burst in 1929, well, enough said.

What I'm wondering is if there is some prescribed mechanism already in the planning to rescue the hungry in the event that we see not only a deep recession, but a possible depression. Internet rumor suggests there might be, but we all know the tripe available on the net. There's simply no telling.

The best advice in any similar situation is for the public to get OUT of debt, if at all possible. Cash will be king even if interest rates are nil.

Back